deborahdelany84

What color palettes goes well with white oak floors and white walls?

Deborah Delany
5 år sedan

We have white oak throughout the house. I am going to painting all walls and doors some form of white and getting rid of furniture and rugs, starting with a clean slate.

I REALLY wanted greys to be a main color for the furniture and other interior desgin elements.

Does white oak and grey work??? Anyone have some nice palettes to suggest?

Kommentarer (23)

• deegw
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Cool gray and redddish brown oak generally don't play nice together. The cool of the gray seems to enhance the less attractive tones of the floors.

You can make it work if you strategically place accents and patterns around the space using gray and brown. It helps the eye tie everything together.

You'll make your decorating life much easier if you decide to work with the floor and the warmth of the beams and trim instead of trying to force gray into the space.

What colors are your other furniture?

• Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Pretty! I am starting from scratch. New Kitchen will be all white with island having a medium brownish taupe color for bottom). I really like pops of color (I’m a graphic designer) so hoping I can integrate some (maybe oranges and teals)

• PRO
    HomeScape Stagers
    5 år sedan

I agree with ht above comment. If you are set on grays, work with the warmer grays/taupes or grayed greens.

• Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thanks. Greyed Greens? Never heard that term....
  • Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I love taupes, so I am happy to hear that will work.

What accent colors would you recommend?
  • deegw
    5 år sedan

A taupe sofa will be neutral and work well with your floors and woodwork. The orange or teal will be good accent colors.

If you are overwhelmed by choosing colors I suggest finding a throw pillow or rug or art that you LOVE. Make sure it works well with taupe and then pull colors from it to add for your room accents.

• PRO
    HomeScape Stagers
    5 år sedan

Deborah - grays with a green undertone. I just recommended this to one other person, but it bears repeating because they are so nice for kitchens. See Benjamin Moore's Nantucket Gray with green undertones or Benjamin Moore's Thunder for a nice warm gray. You would have to paint a sample on all 4 walls to see what it does in the varied light.

Hadleigh Update - Stage to Sell · Mer info

In this photo I used it at 50%. The yellow maple of the cabinets and the lighting of this particular house make it look more Sage like.

Kitchen open floor plan · Mer info
    this photo is Benajmin Moore Thunder @ 50%

• Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    We really want to keep walls white. But, I can use something like that for bedroom or bathrooms.

I guess I was asking about accent colors such as decor items (pillows, vases, etc..) things that make the room pop!
  • deegw
    5 år sedan

Here is an inspiration photo with white walls, warm floors and neutral warm sofa and orange accents. It's a nice color combo.

• deegw
    5 år sedan

White walls, warm floors, neutral sofa, teal accents.

• Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan

I love the teals!!! Currently we have teal accents so I can incorporate old (artwork, mirrors, etc.) with new...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

no blue, cool grays. warm grays.

this one is BM PaleOak. it's paired here w/a darker oak flooring

SW Passive

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 år sedan

Beth- love this colour- BM Pale Oak-the one we used seems to have a more of an blue/lavender undertone in the master bedroom/bath- used the Canadian Cloverdale paint, as that is what hubby used on the exterior & he liked how it went on, so that what I purchased, as it wasnt going to be me doing all the painting.

• caligirl5
    5 år sedan

I think oak floors and white walls (or maybe light greige) are very classic.

Do you have any inspiration pics? What makes you want to have gray furniture? Like a lot of folks here, I'm a bit tired of the all gray trend. But I think gray is great in the right doses.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

yes,,some grays will turn very blue/purple once indoors. you need to stay away from the 'cool' grays.

pale oak is pretty. I've suggested it to a few people this month and they love it. it seems to work well with everything. grab a sample and see what you think. (don't get it color matched, it won't be the same)

• jhmarie
    5 år sedan

I have similar floors, cream walls and blue is my major accent color - but that is because I love blue. I like the colors of the beach on a sunny day:) Gray is another neutral - which is OK but if you want to add some color - add one you love.

NOT my home - some examples of blue:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

the blues in furniture and accents are beautiful w/oak floors. I was referring to a blue/gray paint color on the wall. Like this tone.

this doesn't work w/warm oak.

But some of these blues/greens and neutrals will work.

• Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I love that look Beth. Wish I could change floors to that color but I have to keep under budget. The WHOLe house has oak floors.
  • Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I’ll go and get some swatches of all the recommendations. I want to stay as close to blue tones as I can get without getting too warm looking.
  • Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    This is a snapshot of what we are redoing and why I want to stay away from warmth as much as I can. So much wood, yellows (this is how House was, we didn’t design or touch obviously)
  • deegw
    5 år sedan

Such a nice space! All that wood is going to boss around your decorating. You are smart to try to work with it instead of fight it with cool colors.

I think orange is definitely out as an accent color. It is just going to enhance the orange tones of the wood.

I would consider painting all the doors in the dining space, it will make the space look less chopped up.

I saw on another thread that you are replacing the kitchen floor. Have you considered a slate look tile with faint brown accents? Your floor will have a nice clean look and the accents will work with the wood and will look good with your taupe cabinets.

Daltile porcelain slate.

Deborah Delany thanked deegw
  • Deborah Delany
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Hi. We are regutting whole kitchen. New Cabinets shake style white, Calcutta Gold Quartz for countertops, island will be dark taupe color.

i think we are going to just match rest of the floor because we are making it all open (tearing down wall between kitchen and rest of space)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.