missindie1

LVT underlayment - lauan vs 1/4" plywood?

Chessie
5 år sedan

Now that I have agreed to allow my flooring contractor to correct the mess their installer made, they are planning the new job. They have actually discussed the replacement of the LVT with Armstrong, and have decided that the best thing to do is to rip out everything down to the subfloor. They stated that they would re-lay a new underlayment, of lauan, and I stopped them there as I have heard that it should not be used now (even though that is what is underneath the old sheet vinyl). They are leaving this decision completely up to me, but they said that it is a standard underlayment and that it works so well because it is . So, flooring experts - tell me why lauan is awful and should not be used? The other option would be 1/2 sanded plywood. Is it just a cost thing where it's just considered as the cheaper option? Are there real reasons to NOT use lauan?

Kommentarer (12)

• millworkman
    5 år sedan

For years Luan was used due to the fact that is was a solid plywood with no voids in the veneers. Were as "most" fir or pine plywood has voids and the premise was that a point heeled shoe on a sheet flooring would pop a hole when stepping on said void. From what I recall most linoleum was only warrantied installed over luan. The luan was more of a substrate than an underlayment however as it really did nothing other than back up the sheet flooring. Not sure if it is still recommended or not however.

• Chessie
    Författare
    5 år sedan

"a point heeled shoe on a sheet flooring would pop a hole when stepping on said void"

Ah.. Interesting. That certainly makes sense.

"Were as "most" fir or pine plywood has voids"

That was the same thing my BF said. So maybe the issue is that Luan is no longer made without voids?

• Chessie
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Anyone else have advice on this??

• geoffrey_b
    5 år sedan

The underlayment will be grade stamped.

Read the Armstrong specifications for the type of underlayment required for the warranty to be valid.

Lauan Plywood

Quarter-inch lauan plywood is a popular choice as an underlayment among remodelers. It has a solid track record and is readily available. All resilient floor manufacturers allow lauan plywood under at least some resilient floor applications and some manufacturers recommend it as an underlayment for all applications. Check with your manufacturer before using lauan plywood.

There are two types of lauan: Type 1, with an exterior glue and Type 2 with a water-resistant glue. Only Type 1, which is more resistant to delamination, should be installed under resilient flooring. The “type” is stamped on the very edge of the panel, usually on the 4-foot edge. Three face-grades are available – BB, CC and OVL(overlay). BB is the highest grade and should be used whenever possible.

APA’s installation guidelines for 1/4-inch plywood should be followed when installing lauan plywood, but installers BEWARE: Lauan is made under a wall-panel specification of the International Hardwood Products Association (IHPA). No manufacturing specifications support its use or gauge its performance as an underlayment.

Wood Underlayments

• Chessie
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks, I have actually read the Armstrong Underlayment guide and they do allow a Type 1 lauan, and my contractor DOES use Type 1 lauan so that is not a question there. I am just wondering what the cons are for lauan, since all over the internet it is bashed, but in the real world, it is what most flooring installers seem to use. Frankly I would prefer to use the Halex underlayment.

• geoffrey_b
    5 år sedan

Armstrong Underlayment guide and they do allow a Type 1 lauan ...so that is not a question there.

What do you mean? This is the exact question you asked.

Frankly I would prefer to use the Halex underlayment.

Why didn't you say that in the first place? This is the first time you mentioned Halex. Well go to their web site - and find the Halex product that meets the Armstrong specifications.

• Chessie
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

I’m not sure why my own preference matters. My question has nothing to do with that.

"What do you mean? This is the exact question you asked."

No, I never asked about what Armstrong allows. Armstrong allows a Type 1 Lauan, but then qualifies that with a big "but..it can present problems.....".

Maybe I need to clarify my question. Why do most of the flooring contractors still use a Lauan underlayment today, when it appears to be routinely bashed all over the internet?

• PRO
    Upward Flooring LLC
    5 år sedan

Better safe than sorry with your flooring investment. Go with the Halex or Matrixx underlaymen. The only substrate type underlayment I’ve ever had a problem with one time with a Luan underlayment, long story but just know it’s the one and only time I’ve had an issue and it was with Luan. Also the Halex and Matrixx will do better with water events.

“Resists swelling and no delamination with extended water exposure. Passes the APA 2-hour boil test.”

https://www.traxxcorp.com/products/matrixx-underlayment/

• Chessie
    Författare
    5 år sedan

"to keep themselves and their families fed, they have to use the cheapest of the cheap just to win a job"

I don't believe that at all. There are PLENTY of people out there willing to pay for a good job - and I'm one of them. But I'm not naive either. I have no intention of being ripped off again - I've had more than my share of it. Frankly, I think a flooring installer would improve their business if they stopped using crap materials and only offered a quality job with quality materials. Personally, I believe the issue is that there is SO much work and SO few competent tradesmen, it's just a greed issue.

• Sandra Harwell
    2 år sedan

I’m so sorry peopeople are ggetting ripripped off we did to we paid litle over $15,000.00 to have a porch and deck put on our home by ( a contractor) that turned out to be a (CON MAN) we were told by family member he was very good and worked on some million dollar homes our Deck is falling apart and the porch is rottening away!!! and my husbands Brother is the one that recomaned him to us he was so smart (Acting) like he was going to give us A Amazing job and wait he did is rip us off we tried to make him fix it and found out he was Not Bonded and Didnt even have A Contractors Licenses!!! Just A Con Artist that lived in South Congree SC Im just saying check out who you Trust To Do Anything!!! Dont take Anyone At Their Word And Get Everything In Writing Before You Hand Over Cash!!! 🥲🙏🏽

• millworkman
    2 år sedan

Dam, why do people who feel the need to bash people type such unreadable diatribes. Makes it dam near impossible to accept their story as the truth.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.