kdm121

Contractor Messed Up... how do we proceed?

5 år sedan

Our contract AND our contractor all specified that Benjamin Moore Paint and Benjamin Moore colors were to be used. It was in writing and discussed in person. We went to the house today and everything looked... off. The trim is all supposed to be simply white (our current house trim color), but it all looked yellow. The cabinets are supposed to be simply white and compared to the simply white walls, the walls looked insanely yellow- not even the same color. My son's room looked purple (BM Calm) and my other son's room also looked purple (BM classic gray). We only saw Behr paint cans around and called the contractor when we got home- he's been color matching BM colors with Behr paint as a base. We feel so sick about it. He said he'll fix it, but we still feel sick about the whole situation. Is it normal to feel bad when it is the contractor's fault? We are paying him a lot with this renovation, so we are so disappointed he chose to cut corners and hoped we wouldn't notice.

Kommentarer (27)

• 5 år sedan

Yes, it is normal to feel bad. Stay on him and get it all redone in your own color choices. Behr paint is usually cheaper than BM paint too unless he is using Marquee Behr paint, so possibly, he thought you wouldnt know the difference. Dont pay him any money, until it is all corrected, and check back at the house often, so you know it is being done correctly and to your satisfaction.

• 5 år sedan
    Sounds like he is willing to fix it. Make sure he uses BM paint for the next coat and it should be fine.
  • 5 år sedan

If he is fixing it consider this a good thing as you get another coat of paint!

there is always a silver lining!

Stress that you want clean lines

• 5 år sedan

make sure he puts two coats of BM paint down.

• 5 år sedan

And another example of the color matching computers being inaccurate.

• 5 år sedan

I would not use Behr nor Valspar paint on an outhouse..

".. he's been color matching BM colors with Behr paint as a base.. "

Could be as simple as that. He may be using the cheap paint as a base (like primer) before applying the good over top of it. You can actually save a lot of money doing that on certain walls if the paint is old, stained/dirty, been patched/repaired etc.

Our local hardware has a brand of paint that they sell for just $10 a gallon that is made by Pittsburgh. All of it is flat. The stuff actually works better than Kiltz or BIN as a primer and it does not give off an order like them..

Ask him what he meant by "Base" and see what he says. Then you will know if he was trying to stiff you or wanting to do the best job possible.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

This is exactly why I always buy my own paint when having painting done. Most of the stores always ask who my painter is and give me his discount. Then I KNOW he's using the right stuff and not something cheaper. Painters have been doing this for decades, unfortunately.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

Talk to and work with your builder. If he said he'll fix it, give him a chance to do so. Trust but verify!

• 5 år sedan

Also keep in mind that the colors you loved/chose in your old home, may look completely different in the light/lighting of the new home. Make sure you have brought samples of the colors you think you want to the the new house. Keep in mind that the "temperature" (K) of the light bulbs and fixtures will also dramatically change the appearance of the paint colors.

• 5 år sedan

Just got a chance to check back in as we had a event this afternoon. Thank you to everyone for your input. Yes, we are thankful he has agreed to fix it, but we will be checking everything going forward. It does make us nervous as to what other corners he is cutting, but we will be there soon enough to monitor everything on a daily basis.

I do understand that colors can look different in different homes and with different lights. But Simply White is a very well known color. It is not a soft yellow. I have never seen it look that way in our house and we have direct sunlight in some rooms and few windows in others. It has always been a white. Plus, the cabinets are the correct simply white color, while the walls are a yellow simply white Behr color match, which is an extremely poor color match. It shouldn't even be allowed.

I explained to him that I will not color match. I've never seen it work perfectly. Plus, the contract specified Benjamin Moore paint. This is on him and while I felt guilty, I feel more sure in my reaction now. This was wrong and not what we paid for. It is disappointing and must be rectified, but it also will result in us watching everything extremely closely going forward.

• 5 år sedan

Did you specify which BM base you want? I could see them trying to put all the colors in the Ben line, which is not as great as Regal or Aura. I personally love the Aura base.

• 5 år sedan

I know that feeling, Katherine! It's normal to feel badly when you have to point out not just an accident but a downright Meant To Do It! Perhaps he really was using a cheaper "color matched" paint as a primer. Either way, take Virgil's advice. And for tonight, go pour yourself and adult beverage and relax until that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach goes away.

I honestly don't get why anybody thinks that color matching actually works. And that someone who specified a specific paint brand in a contract wouldn't notice. I've had better luck computer matching a blob of leftover paint with their scanners than the "formulas" they use.

• 5 år sedan

I only use Benjamin Moore Aura. I see B Carey likes it, too.

A painting contractor told me years ago to buy the best paint you can afford--it is less expensive in the long run--it lasts longer, application is easier and you often only need one coat, depending on what needs painting.

The only luck I've had with color matching is taking a piece of sheetrock or something that is painted, and the Benjamin Moore employee works from that to get it just right--sometimes it takes a few tries. Good luck with your contractor; I'd definitely hold him to providing the product to which you agreed.

• 5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Yeah, BM has several different interior paints. Better specify exactly which one you want. I like Aura, too, but it needs two coats.

• 5 år sedan

- he's been color colors with Behr paint as a base. matching BM

We feel so sick about it.

So long as the finish coat/ coats are the specified paint, IMO, there is nothing to feel sick about. I always use a less expensive paint as a base coat.

Also, you shouldn't judge how good a color match is based off of just one coat of paint. Not that it matters in this case since the Behr is being used as a base coat.

• 5 år sedan
    These are multiple coats of paint and he is saying this is the finished product. They are objectively yellow. There was not supposed to be any Behr at all. Only BM. This was wrong. End of story.
  • 5 år sedan
    Katherine....I’m just curious. Did you ask him WHY he did the color matching and didn’t use the paint that was specified on your contract? I really find it mind boggling that he would completely ignore what was agreed upon and just do his own thing without asking. I can’t tell you how angry I would be.
  • 5 år sedan

"Is it normal to feel bad when it is the contractor's fault?"

Yes, because to fix it, he is now working twice for the same amount of money and you've gotta wonder how he's gonna make up for it. If your contract calls for BM paints/colors, then that is exactly what you should get. IMO, you should not have cheaper paints as the base coat. If he bid the job with the intent of using cheaper paint, knowing that something else was specified, that is his problem. You should get what you contracted for and paid for, period. All paint should be what was specified.

• 5 år sedan

These are multiple coats of paint and he is saying this is the finished product.

Contradictory information. You told us that he was using the Behr as a base and that he was going to 'fix-it'--assumption that the top/ finish/ last coats would be the specified BM paint. Now, you're telling us that the painter is done.

Whatever. This is not your problem. It is the general contractor's problem. He needs to find an honest painting sub-contractor.

• 5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

ci_lantro....you are misunderstanding what the op meant by “base”. She didn’t mean base COAT. What she meant was the base paint in the can before mixing was a Behr base.

• 5 år sedan

Nidnay, you're right. Yes, I was thinking base coat. Got it now!

Geez--how does a whole house get painted with the wrong paint without anyone noticing before it's done? The contractor must not visit the job site very often. Either that or he's a dishonest slug, too.

• 5 år sedan

Katherine Dale, hate this happened to you. I specified that under no circumstances was it ok to color match and my DH and I checked all the paint before it was used.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

wow

• 5 år sedan
    Any update? Did the contractor make it right?
  • 5 år sedan

I'm curious, too. Especially about the Simply White.

I was looking for an off white to contrast with pure white (Behr Ultra Pure White); Checked out Simply White and it is waay too yellow. I don't know why they even call it 'white.'

• 5 år sedan

Some painters think it is fine to use whatever paint they like actually. I never understood it myself. I always ask if the customers mind if I color match just because sometimes they pick a color from a paint brand that is not good. Also, using some other brand as a base coat or first coat doesn't always work out well, so we stay away from doing that as well. We run into too many problems with sheen not being uniform when you have one brand on top of another.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.