janson_mccreery

Mid century modern living room - suggestions wanted

Janson McCreery
5 år sedan

I live in a three story townhouse. The images are of my living room. The paint color is Benjamin Moore Penthouse which is a gray that has green undertones.

Overall I like the space but think it needs some added warmth. I also am not sold on my current window treatment set up. Feel free to tell me what I did right, what I did wrong and give any suggestions that you may have.

Kommentarer (35)

• Flo Mac
    5 år sedan

I really like your home. Clean lines, lovely floors, staircase, windows and colors. Would you have a better sight line/walking space from front door to kitchen if you moved the couch and rug forward, toward the tv ? For now remove bookcase and move plant to current bookcase wall then you would have room for chair where the plant is now, by window, but pulled out from wall with front legs on rug for conversation with people sitting on couch. If the chair was a swivel it could also be a chair for tv watching. The plant may also look nice in the corner at the bottom of the stairs. I don't think you need to do a lot here. I know you will get some great help from people with some wonderful ideas and more knowledge than I have. Good luck.

Janson McCreery thanked Flo Mac
  • l pinkmountain
    5 år sedan

Art on the walls would add color and warmth particularly if it was to scale with the high ceilings. I love the wall color!

Janson McCreery thanked l pinkmountain
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år sedan

I would get rid of the cluttered bookcase and add drapes to those large windows, lower the art on the stirway wall and get a couple of smaller pillows with the blue from the rug in tem , the yellow ones are too big.

Janson McCreery thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Joe T.
    5 år sedan

Good looking space—needs more art.

Janson McCreery thanked Joe T.
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 år sedan

And center the tv :)

Janson McCreery thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • H B
    5 år sedan

Tv placement possibly tricky, windows are not centered on the wall.

Janson McCreery thanked H B
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

True, but I still think it would look better centered between them. Then move the plant over to balance.

I like the bookcase there. I’d remove top items, add a bowl/basket for keys etc, then declutter the rest. Or you could replace with console table and artwork?

Agree on moving rug and couch forward and new pillows!

Janson McCreery thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • partim
    5 år sedan

What is the white thing on the floor to the right of the TV console? It's not attractive.

Your bookcase looks squished in its space. If you want to keep it in the room, consider putting it on the wall facing the window, or center it under one window on the long wall, and center the TV under the other one. Wherever the bookcase goes, declutter it and put nothing on the top.

Leave your sofa where it is, but pull the rug forward so the front of the sofa sits on the rug.

Janson McCreery thanked partim
  • PRO
    User
    5 år sedan

Great space! I would just do a few tweaks to make it really come together.

I would...

• Center the TV to the windows, which looks like it will center it to the couch and coffee table.
    • Pull your rug closer to the TV (about 8" from the front of TV console)
    • Pull the couch off the rug a bit (about 8") so the back couch legs are on the wood floor.
    • Add an accent chair near the tree
    • Remove the artwork on the TV wall, and place one on the side wall to the right of the TV.
    • Replace the big shelving unit near door with a console table and place the other piece of art over it.

You have a great space with great style. Hope this helps!

Janson McCreery thanked User
  • lshack17
    5 år sedan

Great space and love what you have done so far. You could add some pattern and more color, the space looks a little "heavy" to me with all the solid colors in the rug, sofa and throw pillows. Since you favor mid century design maybe add drapes with a mid century flair and the the throw pillows with some color? I think orange pillows with that navy rug would be a great contrast.

DWR Living Room Remodel · Mer info

Druid Hills Mid Century Modern · Mer info

Janson McCreery thanked lshack17
  • Libby Estell
    5 år sedan

I agree with everything Glo said. Would the bookcase fit to the left of the door at the bottom of the stairs? If so, declutter it and create space for a "landing strip." If budget allows, I'd replace the solid rug with a patterned flatweave. West Elm has some great options that would compliment the Mid-Century look your'e going for. If a new rug isn't in the cards, then get some patterned throw pillows in a smaller scale that fits the sofa. Floor-length drapes hung from below the transom windows would soften the overall look of the room. Though I think the space needs it, I hesitate to recommend art because when people run out to buy "wall art" just to fill blank space is when things go wrong. If you have some travel photos or instagram shots that you're particularly proud of, there are services out there that will enlarge and frame them for you. Or maybe you can get a few pieces "on loan" from friends or family. Good luck and keep us posted!

Janson McCreery thanked Libby Estell
  • Susan
    5 år sedan

I agree with Glo as well. The space needs a chair over by the tree and the passageway behind the couch needs to be bigger. The rug might be a touch big, but the addition of the chair may help it feel in proportion. Definitely center the console and moving everything off center again allows for that chair. I am torn about curtains. I like the minamalist look going so I would make the other changes first.

The book case feels heavy, but you have it tastefully filled. Removing the stuff off the top and placing art over that could be an interesting way to add color and highlight your ceiling height. I think you could really support a lot of art, but it should be things you love, not just to decorate.

Janson McCreery thanked Susan
  • hollybar
    5 år sedan

Lots to love here! My tweaks would be to edit,not remove, the bookcase (reduce stuff in /on it by about half);replace TV console with a much longer piece; get back legs of sofa off rug; and add a leggy chair. If you want pattern or texture, then add drapes. I would also add more lighting because I just never use overhead light.

• groveraxle
    5 år sedan

I'll admit to not reading the comments, except for Glo since everyone agrees. Bookcase needs to go. No clutter in a mid century room. I'm gonna work on your TV wall. I think you need a gallery there. When I come back with your rendering, I'll tell you how to do it on the cheap.

Janson McCreery thanked groveraxle
  • Jeff Meeks
    5 år sedan

I'd move the couch a bit closer to the TV. A couple of arm chairs either side of the sofa would be nice and you could go bigger and longer with the credenza/media center. Here is what I did with a similar credenza arrangement, it takes up most of the length of the wall, your's looks a little lost right now.

Janson McCreery thanked Jeff Meeks
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

grover nailed it w/the display on the tv wall. perfect.

at the foot of the stairs, can you try more of a vertical art piece and stick something like this in the corner? (and thank you for going w/gray outlets on your gray walls!)

maybe a pouf, few more plants by the window. Overall, I love your space!

Janson McCreery thanked Beth H. :
  • J J
    5 år sedan
    following
  • Jen VZ
    5 år sedan

I don't mind the windows but would definitely lighten the rug. Change pillows to lighter to match rug. Is it possible to declutter the back shelf and possibly float those shelves? also agree with centering TV on windows, and pull furniture in closer.

Janson McCreery thanked Jen VZ
  • Harper
    5 år sedan

Following

• l pinkmountain
    5 år sedan

And to add to Groveraxle's post, I have that exact chair and I love it! If you could find one in that style they are comfy.

Edited to add take off all the little tchotchke stuff on top of the shelving unit, and put something there that can hold its own between the windows. Something larger and simpler with some drama. Smaller pieces should be displayed down lower where people can see them closer up and to scale with their surroundings. Maybe a big clock? I'm a clock fan though. Nothing would be OK too if you like a sparser look and are going for an art wall by the TV.

• pat1250
    5 år sedan
    Following
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    5 år sedan

Basically I would simply add some sheer window treatment. In addition I would add some art for added warmth.

J Design Group - Miami Interior Designers
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

Janson McCreery thanked J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
  • PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    5 år sedan

You did a lovely job. It looks great. IMO the wall decor is the only area you could improve upon. The wall with your TV I would mimic the below idea. You could scoot the plant closer towards the TV and between the floor lamp and TV add a small cluster of mirrors, or a set of smaller artwork that is hung asymmetrically/random

Contemporary Living Rooms · Mer info

Viking Symbols by Jess Engle, 5-Piece Set · Mer info

Global Views Tilt-A-Wire Mirror, Medium · Mer info

Janson McCreery thanked Seldens Furniture
  • PRO
    Sixzero6 Design
    5 år sedan

Hi, Janson.

This is kind of a perfect exercise..... and your pics are pretty good for it because they really give a sense of the room.

So to me, it looks like you're a little timid about moving in. Are you a renter? It looks like you're a renter. If you're an owner, move in! There's a way to add texture without being cluttery, and I'm guessing that's what you're looking for.

You can do some things with what you have, but ideally, you'd be open to a few new things.

Firstly, the sofa is too far away from the tv. The area from the door to what appears to be the kitchen needs to be a generous pass-through. Give it at least 3 feet, or 42". And it should guide you from one space to the next. Create an entrance at the door with a slim console table against the wall where the too-high artwork is. Lower the artwork, add a lamp and a bowl to hold your keys to create a vignette.

I'd like a corner sectional or two-piece sofa with a chase section better. That would help to create a space within the space that would help with the scale. But I can imagine you might like your sofa. It'll be ok. Another console table at the back of the sofa - as close to the length of the sofa as possible - could serve as an additional place for a drink while lounging, but also a place from which to grab a book when you're on the sofa. Get rid of the shelving unit near the door and put the plant there. Put the tv wall to work and do low storage all the way across that wall with open and closed storage. (Ikea Besta is a good example of how to do this inexpensively.) The tv can sit on that, or mount on the wall. Put the lamp where the plant is, but in front of the storage. Let go of the need for symmetry with your art and group it (as other's have suggested).

Lastly, the windows could benefit from woven wood shades. (https://www.theshadestore.com/shades/woven-wood-shades) The Shade Store does good ones, but there are choices at the big box stores that will save you if your windows happen to be the sizes they offer. I've also used the tortoise roll-up type. (https://www.pearlriver.com/products/1-2-in-slate-tortoise-bamboo-blind) You can choose your level of refinement, but whatever you choose, they add instant texture and warmth that the white gauze-y treatment can't but still allow beautifully filtered light through.

Jeff

Janson McCreery thanked Sixzero6 Design
  • groveraxle
    5 år sedan

We seem to have lost Janson.

• Janson McCreery
    Författare
    5 år sedan

First off thank you to everyone who put their time and ideas into this post. I am truly humbled. I apologize for the late response. This has been a very tough week at work with a huge project closing out. I truly value and appreciate everyone's input and recommendations.

This post turned out to be exactly what i needed. I love most of the ideas given. I have always enjoyed the concept of interior design but know nothing of it. Perhaps when things slow down I will take time to educate myself.

Grover thank you very much for taking time to do the renderings. They are very helpful and make it easy for me to visualize some of these recommendations. Seldens and you both provided great art examples that I really like.

Beth your recommendation for the snake plant is spot on. I actually purchased the white pot at the bottom of the stairs for that very purpose.

Sixzero6 I actually own the place and purchased it about 1.5 years ago. I love your idea about the wooden shades. I have indeed struggled with adding textures.

Pinkmountain thanks for your kind words. That color took me nearly a month to figure out. I knew I was going to spend a lot of money and wanted to be sure that I used a color that would be unique but not offending. The pictures dont do it justice as it seems to slightly change color depending on what time of day it is. Certain times of day express the green undertones more than others.

The bookshelf is actually an Ikea version that I installed mid century legs on and painted it. Unfortunately I learned the rule of scale the hard way. It seems too large for the area. I like some of the replacement options given.

If there is anything that will never change here it is the couch. It is a pulled Italian leather couch with memory foam cushions built extra deep. It is pure heaven to sit/lay on and will zap your productivity if used during the wrong time of the day. :)

My short list:

• Pull the couch and rug up to allow for a generous walkway behind it (rear couch legs off of the rug)
    • De-clutter bookcase and remove stuff off of the top
    • Center TV between windows
    • Change pillows to add texture
    • Add meaningful art (non-symmetrical layout)
    • Obtain a snake plant for my empty pot

Long term list:

• Evaluate windows treatment options (wood shades or drapes)
    • Add an accent chair (love this one)
    • Possibly replace bookshelf with something different

I will update this post as things come along over the next few months. I currently have a huge Christmas tree in the room right now which halts any rearranging but after the holidays I will give it a shot.

If anyone sees any patterns or pillowcase recommendations feel free to let me know. Also if anyone views this post later then feel free to add your thoughts. I love hearing everyone's perspective.

• Harper
    5 år sedan

Sounds good Janson.

• groveraxle
    5 år sedan

Glad you returned, Janson. Come back and show us what you've done after the holidays so we can ooh and aah and then nitpick you to death. ;-)

If you need some help arranging your gallery wall after you center the TV, let us know. It's one of my (few) areas of expertise.

Janson McCreery thanked groveraxle
  • l pinkmountain
    5 år sedan

For what it's worth, snake plants are dead easy to grow and don't need much light or water. Have fun! The right color can make such a difference in the feel of a room, spending time pondering it is not a waste compared to the time you might spend hating the wrong color choice! ;)

• Jeff Meeks
    5 år sedan

Rather than adding an accent chair get a nice lounge chair or two.

Janson McCreery thanked Jeff Meeks
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    5 år sedan

Large original artworks are an excellent addition that gives character to any space.

Here are some ideas to ponder. Good luck and enjoy decor !

To check more unique collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

new abstract art · Mer info

Geometric painting · Mer info

Mixed media - Koi fish painting · Mer info

Janson McCreery thanked Poovi Art
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    5 år sedan

Large original artworks are an excellent addition that gives character to any space.

Here are some ideas to ponder. Good luck and enjoy decor !

To check more unique collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

new abstract art · Mer info

Geometric painting · Mer info

Mixed media - Koi fish painting · Mer info

• shelleysmith999
    5 år sedan
    Following
  • Anne
    5 år sedan

following

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.