ps6fsu_de_z7

Den/Office Layout

Paul_DE-7a
5 år sedan

Im having a very tough time with the layout for this room. This was formerly the room in the back of the house but the previous owners added on a sunroom to the back of the house. They used this room as their family room. When we moved in, we used the larger formal living room as our family room and turned this room into my office. We have since added a spare tv over the fireplace but done nothing else really. We would like to incorporate some seating to make it more of a den/reading room and to entertain when we have guests. We had a plan to put a smaller Chesterfield style sofa (or loveseat)facing the fireplace and then 2 reclining leather club chairs on the sides of fireplace or in the corners facing away from it. After taking some measurements and taping in out on the floor, we realized this is way too crowded. So we thought maybe the 2 leather club chairs facing the fireplace and then 2 small accent chairs in the corner? Maybe, put a smaller sofa along the wall to the left of the fireplace? Should we stick with original plan and use a settee instead of the chesterfield with smaller club chairs? I really want 1 or 2 leather club chairs in here but not sure what else to do or where to put them. Ideas welcome. In case it matters, we are installing wood floors and plan to stain them a dark walnut color.

The room is 13' wide by 20' long minus the hall closet protruding into the room 2' by the desk.

Kommentarer (26)

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Here are some of the pieces i was hoping to include

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

Will the room still need to function as an office?

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Yes, i work from home so I will need to keep the desk in here. Im not married to any of the actual furniture that is in here, though. I would also like to add a bookcase or other storage somewhere in the room. Doesn't have to be large.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

A couple of options from Lee that have dimensions that should work for you:

Apartment Sofa

Apartment Sofa 2

Leather Chair

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Wow, I like it a lot. Thanks so much. I heard Lee industries mentioned in a few posts so I will check them out. I usually buy cheap stuff but looking to get some better quality items. The leather club chairs I posted are from Restoration Hardware. I want american made for sure.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

I'm glad you like it! While you're looking up Lee, take a look at RH reviews as well. They don't have the best reputation for quality. They seem to be more a "lifestyle" brand than serious furniture makers.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Ill do some research. What are your thoughts on Hooker furniture? I saw some items I liked from them as well and thought i read they were a decent quality as well.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

I don't know much about Hooker. I want to say they're known more for their case goods (?). Anyway, I have seen mixed reviews here and there. Many indicate they are overpriced for what's on offer.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Went to a local furniture store that carried higher end furniture and walked out very depressed. Two leather chairs and chesterfield loveseat was almost $9k. Loved the Hancock & Moore products but too expensive for our budget. Is Lee industries priced the same? Any store that carries them doesn't list the prices and I do not wan't to waste a salesperson's time if we truly can't afford it. Is there any other brands i should be looking into that offer decent quality and value. Im looking to stay around $5k for the three pieces. I still need to purchase hardwood flooring, a new desk, and some tables so need to stay as low as possible but don't want cheapo furniture either.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

Hi, ps6fsu_de_z7.

I totally know what you mean about walking into the higher end furniture stores. But don't get sad. You'll find something good, you're just going to have to dig a little for it. And try not to think you're wasting those sales people's time. Their job is to answer your questions. Period.

Lee Industries is significantly below Hancock and Moore price points. A leather chair from Lee might cost $2K. One from H&M will probably be double that, but with H&M you get a piece that you can hand down to your grand children. Not so much with Lee. Although they have a decent reputation for quality, I wouldn't expect it to outlive me.

A few other brands to look at are CR Lane, Taylor King, Wesley Hall and Huntington House. You could even look at Broyhill. I have a Broyhill sofa which is over 20 years old now and is still in great condition. But be advised, the general consensus about Broyhill is that it "ain't what it used to be." Flexsteel is another option to consider. I have a Flexsteel chair from 1958 that is as solid today as the day it was built. I've heard they still make a good product.

Since you already have two nice looking arm chairs, why not just let them ride for the time being? You could implement your plan in phases: 1) Get the floor situated 2) configure the work-space 3) get sofa 4) area rug, etc. Doing it in phases will give you more time for research/shopping around and will ultimately allow you to make the best decisions.

Oh! And don't overlook second hand stores, consignment stores, estate sales and craigslist for accent/coffee tables. I have found some fantastic stuff second hand over the years!

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

All great advice. I think we are going to purchase the sofa for now and buy the chairs later. The 2 chairs I have now are super cheap ones I bought off Wayfair 4 years ago for about $250 each. They don't get much use. I'm glad you mentioned CR Laine and Taylor King. We have been looking at those as well and were clueless of how these brands stack up. Our local saleswoman has been great to work with so far. Our last quote was for an H&M chesterfield loveseat in fabric ($3100) and two Leathercraft recliners in leather ($2100 each). Based on your feedback, it sounds like that is a good deal but still beyond our budget. Since the chesterfield design seems to come with a heftier pricetag we looked for some other options tonight and really love this Taylor King sofa (below). Not sure what the cost of this might be but hopefully it is a bit less.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Update! We finally made a decision. Yesterday we purchased the Taylor King couch in my last post along with two stationary chairs from Chaddock (pictured below). Manon's layout was perfect so we are going to recreate it. Thanks again for the advice. The only tweak is we are going to put a 2nd chair on the other side of the fireplace as well and do a built in bookcase/storage where the console table was supposed to go (where desk is currently). The only trouble i am having is finding an L-shaped desk to fit the corner. Most are 60"x60" but my corner is only 57"x57". I found a few but they are cheap particle board.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

I'm glad it's coming along for you! The Taylor King sofa is great. They have a great reputation, too. And, I think you'll really like the bench seat.

I found this corner desk at Ballard Designs. The dimensions seem right and it comes in other finishes. Take a look and see what you think.

Small Corner Desk

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I dont love it but that is the perfect size. It may be my best option. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • PRO
    Catalyst Contracting
    5 år sedan

I would suggest Barn Sliding Doors for your space. It appears that you have room to each side of the door and it would greatly improve the small space.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Ok we are finally getting closer to the finish product. Floors got installed today and the furniture we purchased will be delivered in 2 weeks. We are trying to find a coffee table and area rug that works. We found some options but not sure which fits the room best. I am one of those people that buy matching sets because I can't see what items go with others. So the picture below is the most current with the floors stained. Would love feedback on the items below or any other suggestions. Again, we are going with the exact design Manon posted on 12/27 above with the addition of another chair in the top right corner as well.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

Hi psfu! You've been busy and the floors look great. How do you feel about glass coffee tables? I ask, because they generally work well in rooms that don't have a lot of natural light in that they tend to reflect what's there. Theyr'e also good in smaller seating areas and allow one to enjoy the pattern and colors of area rugs.

For the area rug, be sure you get the proper size. Having the front legs of all the seating pieces on the rug is a good look.

I like the table you chose, but I'm not sure that it's the best style for your polished sofa. I'd also like to see an oval or rectangle paired with the sofa. I think the sofa calls for something a little more refined.

Some table options:

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks for the feedback. I agree 100% on the shape of the table. I like the oval best but size wise i think the round may be best. Ill have a better idea once the furniture gets delivered. Im a little worried about glass with 2 small kids but this is not a room they will spend tons of time in so could be an option. Originally, I was going to use a rough sawn beam for the mantel so the table matched nicely. However, i put the beam on my surround and I honestly don't think it works. I will probably just extend it vertically and dress it up with a nice shelf with crown as trim (like picture below. I love the rug we found but i wonder if it is going to be blue overload in this room. Would a rug that is predominantly white be best? Either way, we will be getting an 8x10.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

You seem to have a good instinct for color balance, so if your instincts say it's too much, it just may be.

This one from Surya is on the pricey side, but maybe the blend of colors is more what you had in mind? The neutral base with blue accents. To me it supports the sophistication of your seating choices better.

If you're not certain, I think you'd do best to keep looking.

Paul_DE-7a thanked Manon Floreat
  • Manon Floreat
    5 år sedan

Just wanted to mention that your Taylor King sofa is very elegant. Be mindful that the other choices you make "respect" that. In my opinion, the fireplace example you've shown is a much better choice than the rustic option you considered.

I understand about the glass coffee table with children. For similar light reflecting qualities consider some of the marble topped pieces - or even a wood with a satin finish.

I think you're right to wait until the seating pieces are in place before moving forward with an area rug. You'll have a better idea of color balance once they're in the room.

Paul_DE-7a thanked Manon Floreat
  • Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Ok, I nixed the beam and built a more traditional mantel. I think it goes with the surround and marble tiles much better.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

it's been a while but the furniture is finally here. Updated pics below. I ordered side tables below from but still need a coffee table. I think oval will work best but having trouble finding one we like that fits. I also need to build the built in bookcases where the sofa table is but waiting on the cabinets to arrive.

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    5 år sedan

more pics

• suedonim75
    5 år sedan

Looks great! What is the name of the paint color?

• Paul_DE-7a
    Författare
    4 år sedan

@suedonim75 sorry, I never saw your question. It is Indigo Batik for Sherwin Williams.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.