jessica_russo73

Sliding door dilemma, barn or something else?

5 år sedan
senast redigerad:5 år sedan

I am renovating my house, we are doing a LOT but something we are trying to find room for in the budget is changing out the door that goes from our living room to our sunroom. The sunroom is inside space, but at sometime in the history of the house, it was an outdoor patio that was eventually enclosed. So this particular door is an exterior door, but it's on the *interior* of our house at this point.
From the living room the door is in drywall with a casing. From the sunroom, the door is in a brick wall (used to be an exterior wall) so changing it's dimensions isn't going to happen.
Other design challenges are the fact that the sunroom is fairly narrow so we don't want anything that would swing outward too wide because it would interfere with the use of that space. Anything swinging into the living room is going to interfere with where the furniture really must go in the living room. I think some kind of sliding door is a must, but am open to other opinions.
The available wall space does limit my barn door options. The door is 96.5 inches wide including the casing. However, I only have 35 inches of wall space on either side of the door. Should I go with 2 panels and simply deal with the doors not completely clearing the opening but being symmetrical, or do some kind of 3 panel bypass deal?
Again open to other options and ideas, and really appreciate any opinions!
Photo in comments! Couldn't figure out how to link it here!

Kommentarer (18)

• 5 år sedan

A friend with an antique house had a similar problem with clearance and an odd sized doorway. They had the original door cut down the middle to become a pair of smaller doors.

• 5 år sedan

Photos?

• 5 år sedan

Could you do french doors?

• PRO
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

We re-hung the door from our LR to the sunroom. It had originally been a screened porch, closed in with sliders by previous owner. The door opening into the LR was a nightmare. It now opens into the sunroom and lies nicely up against the wall. Just imagine that jutting out over the opening to the DR (which also has french doors, which I like and use)!

• 5 år sedan

• 5 år sedan
    The sliders seem to work...
    Maybe fixed lites on the side, and narrow french doors? But, you'll have to be careful of door swing with the thick edterior walls...
  • 5 år sedan

The sliding door works, I just can't give up the dream of having this be a big opening that lets me continue the LR onto the SR, if that makes sense? I hate to close it up with sidelites, but a couple of people have recommended those and if I can figure out a configuration that makes it work I will try.

Another option might be folding doors with 3-4 panels, but I get the impression that might be far more expensive.

• 5 år sedan
    Bifold doors, maybe or barn doors with windows.
  • PRO
    5 år sedan

No barn doors but sliders that look like french doors might work I would like to see pictures of your style for sure. you could do something like this or with no grids

• 5 år sedan

Barn doors don't even belong on barns. They air seal so poorly that no one sensible uses them when livestock are sheltered within. For a tractor shed, maybe.

To do a large opening between two rooms requires a large header. That means tearing the wall apart, and rebuilding it to carry the weight of that formerly exterior wall. The fact the sunroom poorly converted means you really need exterior grade doors to keep the main part of the home temperature controlled.

Youre talking 1K per foot for one of the sliding stacking doors like La Cantina. Plus the structural work. Or stick with the 1K standard sliding patio door with the structural work for the header.

• 5 år sedan

If what you have works fine, leave it alone. It looks just fine. It's good to have that straight view to more windows of woods and view of the animals.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

live wire the opening is plenty big and requires no new header and we have no idea if heat is aproblem anyway.

• 5 år sedan
    Patricia's sliders would offer the better view, rather than barn door sliders, imo
  • 5 år sedan

Barn door spammer guy needs to take a hike. F L A G

• PRO
    5 år sedan

They comment mostly in discussions where barn doors are at least part of the topic. The phone number and link to their website is a bit tacky though.

• PRO
    5 år sedan

@greendesigns Spammer? @Mark hmm....

I'm a female btw from our design team, and the poster asked specifically about barn door sizing and options in her post for her space. I think our comment was quite helpful and relevant to guide her in a direction if she felt barn doors to be a good option for her space. We work 1:1 with clients directly, and this platform allows homeowners around the US to have access to such an awesome pool of suggestions and ideas for everyone's space. Did you have a recommendation for the poster? Versatility of options and contrasting ideas are great.

We always appreciate feedback. Was there something with our comment you felt didn't met her request? Feel free to email us as well HERE.

We have a process for all comments we leave on all platforms for consistency for those who want further clarity on ideas we leave in case we miss their reply. We help clients all over the US, even if they aren't OUR client. That's why we leave our number....they can call us for a quick response! :)

CUSTOMER SERVICE - (720) 500-3985

www.customslidingbarndoors.com

• PRO
    5 år sedan

Obviously didn't get the hint.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.