kelli_harmon_kr

Color Lover Looking For Inspiration!

kelli_harmon_kr
4 år sedan

I can't seem to find examples of colorful living rooms in gemstone colors. What's with all the white and gray living rooms? It seems unlikely they've hosted children and family... I want COLOR!!!! SO. MUCH. COLOR! I haven't been able to find very many rooms to help me. Emerald Green. Deep rich Amethyst. Magenta. Cerulean. I love these colors! Am I the only one? Has no one else ever decorated a room this way?

Kommentarer (74)

• User
    4 år sedan

Sometimes, we have others that live with us that we have to please, also. So we have to be reasonable. Also the open concept comment is very true...

On my own, my home wouldn't look like it does now. It would be a riot of color and an explosion of texture. Like a vardo. I have gypsy blood in me so maybe that's where I get it from... :)

Also, those of us who were young in the 80's are still influenced by that era, I think. I'm always confused when a poster says that the fuchsia carpet or maroon and yellow bathroom tile is a "problem". I would be doing the happy dance...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 år sedan

If you Google 'Colorful Living Rooms' you'll find lots of ideas.

I think it's a shame that it's apparently no longer considered kosher to add pictures of your own home when someone has a specific question to which you have the answer, and can best illustrate it by showing what you've done. Compared to the past (longer than 2-3 years ago) this forum is now much more impersonal, and I think the horrible 'gray period' drove many people who had great taste away.

I hope no one will mind of I show what I've done with color in my own home. I don't follow trends and simply decorate with colors and objects I love.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Ingrid your home is wonderful. I love it and your art displays. I post my colorful spaces all the time. I figure it has been seen so no need to post again. But here it is in all its colorful glory.

My Houzz · Mer info

My Houzz · Mer info

• tartanmeup
    4 år sedan

Ingrid and Friday, you both have tremendous style!!! Friday, I don't recall seeing that bottom pic before. Love it! Did you paint that large abstract? And what is the furniture piece? I've never seen anything like that before. Has lines that echo the 20s or 30s, I think? Love your lamp as well.

• aprilneverends
    4 år sedan

I always love seeing your homes Ingrid and Friday..don't hesitate to post again and again!

now it was really interesting to me to see that AD article maree linked to-because when I think "jewel colors" I think "precious stones"..but they include gemstones too. I never thought of that. It appears I have much more "jewel" colors than I thought, if I look at the definition their way

• User
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Agree with April, Ingrid and Friday. Always a pleasure to see your homes. In my next lifetime I'm going to have a blue velvet sofa. Or emerald green...

Tartan, if I may, that piece looks to be an art deco dressing table without the mirror...

• kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I’m trying to decorate my living room and dining room. Of all the HGTV shows that I’ve seen, Home Town is my favorite. She uses more color than most, but not always. Why is everyone so scared of color?! I like Addicted2Decorating. She uses a lot of color as well.

• kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I have a very eclectic style, but it’s been very hard for me to nail it down
  • kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan

B

• NewEnglandgal
    4 år sedan

I never heard of people not wanting to see pictures of Houzz member's rooms? I think most of us prefer it! I enjoy seeing other's color choices and how they decorate a room. I find it very interesting and helpful. I once asked for people to post photos of their colorful cabinetry and was shut down by a very rude Pro who said there were thousands on the web and to stop being lazy and look it up myself. needless to say I deleted my post immediately. Looking back I should have told her off. Nothing wrong with asking for pictures. I will say sometimes the photos do not do the colors justice.

In my vacation home I have SW Silvermist in my main living areas. The only white you see is on the ceilings, crown molding, baseboards and doors

I too LOVE color.

• kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I tried to post a very long post with that pic attached, and it came out with half a sentence. Technology hates me.

Anyway, I love moody, warm, welcoming rooms. Of all the styles I’ve seen, eclectic is my favorite. It’s also hard for me to decorate because the furniture that I think is gorgeous, has no storage or it’s pretty but it isn’t functional. I live where homes are built small and without storage, so each piece needs to have to have its function. If I had to say my style, I’d probably say eclectic with a hint of rustic.

I recently fell completely in love with blended paint furniture. The color. The detail of antique furniture. Just everything about it makes me swoon!!!

I want a home that immediately makes people like me who are clumsy, colorful, and funny, feel like they want to take their shoes off and stay awhile.

• kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan

This is my inspiration for this piece I’m going to TRY to blended paint this weekend.

• aprilneverends
    4 år sedan

...recommendations list tailored to you:)

Abigail Ahern-all three books. she has a blog as well

Valorie Hart-"Unique Home Design-Louisiana"

Ross Byam Shaw-"English Eccentric"

Lorraine Kirke-"Would You Like to See The House?"

Susanna Salk-"Decorate Fearlessly" and "Be Your Own Decorator"

Kishani Perera-"Vintage Remix"

Sera Hersham Loftus-"Seductive Interiors"

here btw a blog post about her and her book:

https://blog.jungalow.com/2017/01/the-magical-world-of-sera-hersham-loftus-sera-of-london.html

I recommend the blog itself too-it's Justina Blakeney's one, and she has a couple books as well. She's a maximalist bohemian and a huge color lover herself.

Some books concentrate on certain styles, some showcase different interiors by one or many people regardless the style, but I think you'll find them all moody, warm, eclectic for the most part, and incredibly inspiring.

• emily katharyn
    4 år sedan

I love color! This is one of my favorite living room ideas. I noticed neutral walls and the fabric on the curtains and pillows match.

Family Room · Mer info

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Tartanmeup - I did paint that orange piece. The dresser is just that. A dresser. I purchased it on CL for $40. I love the shape of that dresser but it must weigh 500-lbs. It had two glass inserts but my kid broke the glass. The lamp is one of my favorite things and it came from my favorite place to shop. eBay. It is also very heavy.

Kelli I love that dresser. I have never seen a piece of furniture painted in that way. I hope you will post a before and after.

• aprilneverends
    4 år sedan

as for us here-there are several treads, older ones..I don't remember the names precisely, I think one was "Show us how eclectic you are"..maybe others will help me with names and links to the treads if they want to.

There was also a thread about living rooms in particular, if I remember correctly, three or maybe more years ago..

I realize it's not very helpful, but there are many, many folks here who share your love for color..and some of them are clumsy too, at least this one <----))))

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Daniel I love it. The art. The chandelier. The tile work. Beautiful. Please show us more!

• aprilneverends
    4 år sedan

yeah I love it too! so much I'm too shy to post some of my rooms now-whih I was thinking to do before I saw Daniel's house..:)

And yes I totally agree-you need a lot of light, and sometimes equipment and skill too , to capture the depth and colors of a room

• gustaviatex
    4 år sedan

umm... I LOVE color. A peek into the hall bath.

• User
    4 år sedan

Kelli, I think what you said is key, here: "I want a home that immediately makes people like me who are clumsy, colorful, and funny, feel like they want to take their shoes off and stay awhile."

Perfection in a home is way less comfortable, and comforting, than imperfection. Even the so-called "modern farmhouse" requests that we see here in posts, are a fanciful, sterile, version of what's perceived as cozy. Everyone wants the ideal and our interpretation of "ideal" is what we're fed online. What we see encourages one to be a guest, not a friend.

I think you want a home and not a house. You want folks to feel comfortable enough not to worry over wine that stains and cups that break...Because it's hella nice to relax :)

• katinparadise
    4 år sedan

following

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 år sedan

Perhaps we can encourage each other to post our own rooms, and make this forum the lively and idiosyncratic place it used to be. Daniel, your room is exquisite, really perfect in its way. April, it doesn't matter what someone else shows, we need everyone's unique vision, and the more variety the better. You are much too modest. It would be lovely if we could bring back some of the interesting flavor of the past, where we're not afraid to reveal who we are and what we love. There is no good or bad, inferior or superior, there is only the personal and wonderful. Everyone who cares about decorating their home to reflect themselves has something special to share. We've survived some years of gray and soulless "decorating" where everyone strove for that same cookie cutter look, and it's been awful. If we can break away from that and inspire each other here, I for one would be enormously thrilled. To share is to inspire.

My imperfect (ye gads, that headboard clashes with everything!) master bedroom.

• IdaClaire
    4 år sedan

I've posted this so many times that I'm sure folks are sick of it (and it's old - the ceiling fan no longer has that hideous light kit attached), but I share it here to show that I've embraced neutral walls (and ginormous brown leather pieces), while adding color via artwork and jewel-toned rugs. It is perhaps a bit too muted for color lovers, but my previous home had small rooms and each was painted a different brilliant color, so this is something of a respite from that kind of visual stimulation for me, while remaining true to my love of color.

• cawaps
    4 år sedan

Here's the thread April mentioned: Show me how eclectic you are!

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Ida I love that room.

• IdaClaire
    4 år sedan

Thanks, Friday! I love all of the pics you're shared of your home. Your artwork is AMAZING.

• IdaClaire
    4 år sedan

Yes, please Daniel, share more photos with us! Your style is exactly the sort in which I find loads of inspiration.

• Daniel OConnell
    4 år sedan

Thanks for the compliments and requests for additional photos! I do all my own design and tile work. After living here seven years, I am now selling this place and am excited to be now starting on the next house. I started my career path as a real estate appraiser and often noticed how much higher the price would be when the landscaping was nice. So that's the first thing I work on with a new house (so that the landscape will be mature when I sell). This place was a beater when I bought it. None of the showers worked and the guy had two big shipping containers in the front yard. He hadn't washed the windows in ten years! The kitchens was torn down to the studs and enlarged. All the bathrooms were stripped bare, as well.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

I absolutely love your living room and bedroom.

• User
    4 år sedan

Pretty much perfection, there, Daniel :)

In fact all of your houses are amazing...

I think I'll just sit out the show and tell portion of this thread...<crawls into corner and sulks>

• IdaClaire
    4 år sedan

Daniel, it's stunning! Your tilework is absolutely beautiful. How old is the house? It has such a classic California Spanish Revival look. You truly breathed life into the house. Well done.

• tartanmeup
    4 år sedan

Gustaviatex, that bathroom is zingy! I love lime and am intrigued on how you used it in your bathroom. Everyone's pictures sing and to my eye, art is the reason. People, you all have wonderful style. You really do. Penny, from the few pics you've shared in other threads, you have great taste and a beautiful home. Not understanding wanting to crawl into a corner and sulk, sorry. Ingrid, I don't find your headboard clashes at all. But then again, I'm no pro so what do I know. :P I like how you expressed this: "There is no good or bad, inferior or superior, there is only the personal and wonderful. Everyone who cares about decorating their home to reflect themselves has something special to share." I think the best decorating is the most personal and that's why I bristle when pros shares rules on creating spaces (repeat an accent colour three times...) or go on about how something is 'dated'. Sometimes, I read their advice on here and it sounds like a formula. Not the most soul-inspiring.

• User
    4 år sedan

Sorry to disappoint tartan :) And thank you...

"Dated" is a dirty word. It's often (okay, always) used here to manipulate. And successfully (sad to say).

If a reader is smart, they will ignore such....intelligent and educated statements. :-/

• tartanmeup
    4 år sedan

kelli, I had never seen blended paint furniture before. Looks intriguing. My advice to you is to keep looking and letting your eyes feast on what makes you swoon. The Pin site is good for that: save one pic you like and its algorithms gives you oodles more. Can also be a drawback: a lack of variety so you have to seek it out. That's where blogs that feature different styles can be useful. But for sure, many people have decorated their interiors with colour. You'll find them. April's book list is fantastic. Summer Thornton and Meg Braff are two designers who love colour. I spot their work in shelter mags often. Miles Redd is one of my absolute favourite designers though. The saturated colour and whimsy! Traditional furnishings but not fussy. Oh and the designer who wrote Bright Bazaar is Will Taylor. I have his book and all the colour just makes me swoon.

• IdaClaire
    4 år sedan

Summer Thornton has such a knack! Her color-saturated rooms are amazing, but I am particularly intrigued at how she can take a very neutral space and by introducing a few judicious pops of color, completely bring it to happy life.

• hollybar
    4 år sedan

tartanmeup Sometimes I think (hope?) the Pros cite "the rules" not so much as a proscription but as a shorthand prescription and a way to make someone 'see'....and consider. I also like to know the rulez so I can know when I've broke 'em, gives me a rebellious frisson! Look at these folk below...everyone broke at least 3 of the rulez in a single photo!

living space · Mer info

Álex Zanfaño · Mer info

Minns Road · Mer info

• tartanmeup
    4 år sedan

Nick Olsen is the other designer that comes to mind when I think "colour". His interiors are bold and vibrant. Nick Olsen - Trade Secrets - Chairish

hollybar, that might be true. I'm not as generous in my assumptions when I read that type of advice. I'm a total amateur too as I can't even fathom the rules your examples break. :P IdaClaire, I see those pics and think: well, fabulous architecture and a robust budget for furnishings go a loooong way...Honestly, I do think rooms like that, with all that natural light, will look pretty fabulous whatever is used to furnish inside. Is that a cop out on my part? I can't help but think Ms Thornton would be pretty nonplussed at the chance to decorate my living room with my Ikea budget. :P

• Aphaea
    4 år sedan

I too love color but I also love white. I could easily have two homes side-by-side, one done in shades of white, the other in greens. (A separate red one wouldn't hurt either.)

Several years ago, when Pantene declared emerald to be Color of the Year I fell in love. It was when I realized that emerald is my favorite color. It is gorgeous, calming, soothing and exciting all at once. So I began with a small, heavy Murano sculptural glass vase and a photograph of Venice waters both with emerald green. Now my living room has a dark emerald rug and two dark emerald velvet loveseats; the den area has a leggy mint green loveseat, two non-matching green wing chairs, one with an ottoman, and a more eclectic green rug of various shades; the bedroom hosts a gorgeous oversized canvas reproduction of one of my favorite paintings--Nighthawks--and the bed itself has a dark emerald bedspread. The walls are neutral because I have so much artwork, each a personal and beloved piece.

Shortly after I bought the two living room loveseats I wondered if maybe I had made a mistake. But I knew in my heart of hearts I had not, having seem colorful sofas in various homes featured in House Beautiful and on Apartment Therapy--and I knew, and still know, they were right. The large injections of color does not take away from the soothing and cooling calm I want and they all make me so happy.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Holybar I don't know the rules but I love that first photo. I love the long runner in that room.

2nd photo is just ok. Art is too high and imo should be bigger and a different shape. I don't like the blue rug but I love the lighting. Given all that, this would be my favorite of the three if those items were corrected.

3rd is great but does not sing to me like the first.

What rules were broken?

• hollybar
    4 år sedan

Les Rulez what got broke ...

1st photo rug too small, no sofa legs on it...oH My! Coffeetable too large, no clearance. (this does bug me but a different table is no biggie in such a glorious space) and the nerve of these folk putting in a room gobbling sectional in this narrow space. Tut,tut.

2nd Art too high. Doubt it is given that the owner is a professional art dealer...looks to me like he placed the art pieces for maximum perfection of viewing/noticing and so that if you are seated across from that wall at dinner, the human across from you is center stage. Circumference of chandy. (so few quoting this rulez consider the overall mass) Rug a bit small for diners at the end. Given the other fabulous eat in spaces in this beyond fabulous home, let'em eat their cake elsewhere.

3 Art extends past console. Arrest them and their clever obfuscating solution! Rug not centered symmetrically. Tsk,I bet they had their reason and it was a good one. Art too high. Which,if you plan on keeping that center object there,it isn't. Lower it and the whole arrangement would look squat.

Ready for one more...note the art placement. Imagine the advice this room would get from some folks. In general though, my belief is that most here love design and just want to get it right, for themselves and for their clients. Off to feed my unicorn ;-)

Southern Living Idea House · Mer info

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

Holybar I know a woman who is approaching 100 years old. She has such amazing style it is just unbelievable. Her setup is similar to that last photo except she has two extra tall tables between her sofas and instead of a garden stool she has a ladder back chair. Exquisite.

• J J
    4 år sedan

Following . I love the color wheel....

• hollybar
    4 år sedan

How cool to have friends like that! Consider that low "coffee" tables are a fairly recent invention...your friends higher tables hearken back to a more gracious and graceful standard....when people surrounded themselves with colour IF they could.

• kelli_harmon_kr
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I want to try a striped accent wall like that in my living room!!! Then I feel like I could do neutral walls everywhere else. With the open concept that I have, my dining room also has a wall that I think would look fabulous with the same type of strips
  • Hannah Jhonson
    4 år sedan

I like light colors.

• suedonim75
    4 år sedan

I love color, the brighter the better! My kitchen is bright primary red, laundry room is bright blue, spare bedroom is dark purple. My living room is a neutral beige, but the rug is really bright and I use a lot of bright accessories. My husband has zero opinion on paint colors. He said it doesn't matter if he hates it because it will probably change again within a year.

• ilikefriday
    4 år sedan

suedonim75 - Your husband and my husband must be twins. LOL But mine gives it 6 months.

• suedonim75
    4 år sedan

ilikefriday- I have re-painted within 6 months before. I've run out of rooms.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.