jojolatte

flower bed suggestions

Jes
4 år sedan

This side of the garage needs help desperately! What would you plant here? Full sun. The spruce tree may need to be removed as it’s too close to the building and back side of it doesn’t look too great. I have hostas, lilies and sedum on hand.

I was thinking taller planters in front of garage once it’s finished.

Kommentarer (16)

• jck910
    4 år sedan

I would plant a row of daylilies

• PRO
    Mccormack Landscaping & Tree Trimming
    4 år sedan

I’d do a row of Daylillies in the back with something small in the front if you’re looking to fill the entire bed with perennials. There are quite a few different full sun perennials out there like Black Eyed Susan as well. I figured the row of Daylillies since you have one there already.

• Jes
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you! I kind of wanted to stay away from so many daylilies. The previous owner had a huge lily bed about 20 feet from the side of the garage. I believe they need to be split too!

• intltraveler
    4 år sedan

Weigela bushes have pretty flowers and could be a nice back drop. Russian sage goes well with day lilies. Coneflower, blanket flowers, daisies, sedum, black eyed Susan, roses - I had all of these in my sunny garden in Minnesota.

• Jes
    Författare
    4 år sedan

In bloom

• petula67
    4 år sedan

Daylilies are nearly the ultimate perfect plant. Only flaw: they CAN get a bit ratty looking by August. Mixes suggested above are good. Black eyed susan will take over the world, so good for filling up space. Russian sage is easy and pretty. My favorite combo is daylily, purple coneflower, and monarda.

• Jes
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks Barnett! I will definitely look into them. I have a black thumb.. to say the least lol

• petula67
    4 år sedan

Bluestar is another great perennial to consider as a shrub alternative. Gorgeous flowers, nice form, can get quite large, and low maintenance.

• houssaon
    4 år sedan

Is there something wrong with your roof? It seems to dip quite a bit in the middle. Was a new roof put on over multiple older ones?

Make sure you don't get the soil too high next to the garage, the sill can start to rot.

If you see this area from the house, I would plant native perennials and flowers such a daffodils. Look for plants that attract bees and butterflies.

Here are some good suggestions: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-design-a-colorful-flower-bed-stsetivw-vs~27407750

• PRO
    4 år sedan

You could also move the one daylilly to one end and put another at the other end and plant new in between if you don’t want it full of daylillies

• PRO
    4 år sedan

There are endless possibilities when designing or redesigning a garden which is why I love the field so much!

• Faith
    4 år sedan

I would go tall! Sunflowers, hollyhocks, and rudbeckia laciniata (cutleaf coneflower) are all 5-6 feet tall and add dramatic color! And/or put up a trellis and grow a vine like clematis to get some spring blossoms while the tall ones are filling in.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

You have a sagging ridge beam on your garage roof. If it snaps you will lose the roof.

This condition is more important than the garden, and could cost $$$ the longer you wait. Check YouTube videos for what is involved in bracing up a sagging ridge beam.

• Jes
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you all so much! I stopped at a nursery yesterday to look at my options. Wow was it overwhelming! I cannot wait to start working on this. One more question! If I were to take out the spruce tree on the left (it is too close to garage and half dead on other side - I’ll include photo), what type of tree would you recommend putting there? I would love to do a memorial tree. One that would flower either white or pink flowers. Maybe royal star magnolia or Japanese apple blossom? I’d love something with longer lasting blooms - zone 4. I have hydrangeas on the opposite side

• Jes
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Beverly - Thank you for catching that! We caught the sag before we sheetrocked the inside of the garage. It is very well supported with steel studs!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.