caitlin_veteto

Granite Counter Seam Dilemma

Caitlin Veteto
3 år sedan

I am redoing my counters and backsplash. The counters will be snowfall granite. I have 2 fabricators estimating my kitchen counters. The first says it will take two slabs because of the island and the peninsula not fitting onto the same slab. The second fabricator has solved the 2 slab issue by putting a seam somewhere along the peninsula to make the individual pieces all fit on one slab. They have suggested the middle of the sink hole. I think even with the front edge of the stove side of the counter may be another option. Either way there will be a seam somewhere on the long edge of the counter. The price difference is about $500 because I only have to buy part of the second slab from the first fabricator. Are seams like this common? Would you do the seam or pay extra to have the peninsula cut from a single piece?

Kommentarer (10)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 år sedan

Only you know if $500 is worth not having to worry about the seam matching, or being done correctly (chipping, epoxy bad color match, too wide, not level). Will they let you approve the template to make sure you can get a good pattern match, or do you take your chances with whatever material they have?

• Caitlin Veteto
    Författare
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

@mama goose_gw zn6OH I think they would, but it is also going to be a pretty tight fit to get all of it on the single slab, so there won't be a lot of room to rearrange. At least the slab is fairly consistent color. I'm at the point where $500 isn't a deal breaker, but also would take care of another part of the renovations etc. It could be way worse. If I had chosen a stone the first fabricator didn't stock I'd be looking at buying the entire 2nd slab. You make a good point. I've not seen their seam matching myself, but will be asking around. I've only ever had laminate where seams are not really an option or Corian where there are none. This optional thing kind of threw me for a loop :D

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 år sedan

I’m not usually someone who always justifies extra spend. And I’m not someone to replace expensive things that are in good condition. With that said, I have two thoughts.

1. $500 is not something I’d cheap out on. I’ve made similar choices to save in the short run and never been happy.

2. Don’t get mad, but are you confident the cabinets are in good enough shape to hold up to the weight and also something you’re happy with for the long run?

• Caitlin Veteto
    Författare
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

@1929Spanish-GW

I get where you are coming from. The sink is the only thing in really bad shape. The backsplash has some damage that can't be patch 20+ years on. The house was built in '96 and the cabinets do have some partical board or mdf panels inside. I hadn't considered that they might not hold the weight and I'm not paying to put and entirely new kitchen in this house. I'm undervalued for the neighborhood, but not that undervalued. If they won't I'll be relegated to laminate or Corian again. I won't be here forever.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 år sedan

I agree with Joseph--using the apron front eliminates one part of the seam in a prominent spot, and distracts the eye from the other part, which will be at the faucet, where an exact pattern match won't be as important. I love my apron front sink.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 år sedan

IMO you need to post the 2 layouts and then I could comment on wether it is worth $500.00 to choose one over the other. Seams at sinks are done very often so IMO not a big deal breaker. Does your kitchen style suit a apron front sink, not all do. Get drawings of both layouts that is the first step. I am not sure what you mean about the stove area.

• Caitlin Veteto
    Författare
    3 år sedan

I meant the seam could run straight from the counter edge on the stove wall to the front end of the peninsula. The stone from the right edge of the stove to the front edge of the peninsula is one piece and the rest of the peninsula is a separate piece. the other option was to bisect the sink hole. What layouts do you mean? On the slab? It is either no seam at all using 2 slabs (same lot) or a seam somewhere.

• PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    3 år sedan

Seams in granite - if you can avoid them, great. One can't always do that. A quality installer will minimize the appearance of the seam - varies by the granite you select. If done well, not a deal killer. If the $500 is do-able, avoid the seam. You're OK either way. Bonus! Have them seal both the top AND the bottom of the granite slab at the dishwasher location. Steam from dishwasher will get onto the porous side of the granite and can grow mold there. Advice I got years ago from a granite installer who showed me that problem in a home we were remodeling for a client.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.