kittysox

We bit the bullet & painted the slate.

Jessie Dee
3 år sedan

After years of contemplating stripping, staining & sealing our slate, we bit the bullet and chalk painted today.

The entire time I was second guessing whether I was destroying our floors. We love the stone, just not the colour pallet.

Two liters of Rust-Oleum chalk paint and then Diamond coat ‘Natural’ slate sealer.

Just waiting 24hrs for the sealer to dry, it will be a matte finish.

Let’s see how it looks when it dries? 🤞🏻

Edit: We chose to chalk paint then seal, as half our slate was already a natural (matte) finish & the matte sealer is lovely underfoot.

Second edit: since this is a total experiment, I’ll share issues as they come up: eg on the gloss sealed sections the sealer was taking double the time to dry. The residual puddles were oily, not sticky. So hubby went through again with the wool deck pad spreading the remaining sealer over the floors. A cheats second coat, but also hoping this isn’t indicative of any issues with the sealer adhering to the tiles (that we really should stripped). We only had a really small window when we had all the kids off-site, hence why we didn’t get the tiles stripped, we didn’t want the fumes etc. the tiles hadn’t been sealed in over 10 years, so it will be interesting to see if the chalk & sealer take well. As a family of 6 with 2 dogs; we will certainly put it to the test.

Will keep you all posted!

Kommentarer (32)

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    3 år sedan

More pics

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    3 år sedan

With the fresh sealer

• lucky998877
    3 år sedan

Oh boy, I see trouble in the future...but hope it lasts for a while. Looks much better than the original...but chalk paint is not made for heavy use. Good luck!

• deegw
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

It looks great but fingers crossed for you about durability. I can totally understand why you did it, heavily variegated slate floors are really bossy.

• Monica Scovell
    3 år sedan

It *looks* really good and I hope It will work out for you! Looking forward to see your updates. If you have to repaint in the future, you might want to use a paint made for ceramic or concrete, as it would be much more durable.

• Addison in VT z4a
    3 år sedan

Can you undo it?

• bpath
    3 år sedan

I love our natural black slate floors and yours look great now! Do give us updates on how they hold up. Do you get snow where you are? Will road salt get onto the floor?

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    3 år sedan

@bpath no snow, we are in sydney! I’d love snow!

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Addison yes it can be undone. Just a stripping agent and it will come off. Nice to have options!

• SJ McCarthy
    3 år sedan

The issue will be adhesion. Without stripping the floors you are almost guarantying adhesion failure. I really hope you get 1-2 years out of this...but be prepared for much less.

• madsdaly
    2 år sedan

Hi, how did the painted floors hold up? Was it worth it? would love to know as we want to do the same thing

• April Omel
    2 år sedan

Looks amazing!

• Thomas Quallity
    2 år sedan

Would live a update. But I suspect they didn't keep their appearance long.

• User
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

No one ever comes back and posts their failures.

• Shoemaker
    2 år sedan

Are you kidding?! This looks fantastic! Wow!! Great job

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    2 år sedan

Hey guys! So actually it’s holding up really well. It took weeks to cure, so we have one or two little spots where we dragged a couch or chipped a piece of slate to reveal another colour, but overall we still love it.

Re failures: absolutely happy to admit I did (almost) botch the whole thing by using the wrong sealer.
    I used initially a slate sealer thinking it would soak into both stone & chalk paint, but it was oil based. 😳🤦🏻‍♀️

We ended up doing another 2 coats of rustoleum chalk paint then 2x coats of Annie Sloane chalk paint sealer (gloss) then finally 1x coat matte sealer. Most of the information on how to I got from watching Annie’s videos on her site (none on slate).

I would finish by saying if you can strip the slate it’s would be ideal. Ours needed resealing so in high wear spots the paint is holding.

Consider things like never again using a steam mop for cleaning 😭, if painters accidentally drip white on your floor how you’ll fix it (happened to us), and be prepared to wait weeks & weeks to mop (as it goes tacky until it’s fully cured).

Otherwise we are so far happy. As one of the comments said, it’s early days, but we do have 4 kids, two dogs & hubby isn’t delicate with moving things around and it’s fine so far :)

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    2 år sedan

This was October but it’s only pic I can find without stuff everywhere 🤣

• Pauline G
    2 år sedan

following

thanks!

• madsdaly
    2 år sedan

Thanka for the update @Jessie Dee, it looks great!

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    2 år sedan

Pic today

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    2 år sedan

And where the painters dripped white paint 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Anne Duke
    2 år sedan

What an undertaking and great results so far, looking to see end of 2021 update!

• shawnmyhre
    2 år sedan

We have similar, very busy, bossy, multi-color slate that seems dated already although installed in 2008. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am hoping to have ours (3 rooms of it) acid etched/stripped and then stained with concrete stain or similar to a hopefully more uniform charcoal gray.Then resealed to a matte finish. But concerned it will continue to “shale off” exposing patches of the rust, tan, gold bits. Ugh! Will post before and after photos if completed!

• shawnmyhre
    2 år sedan

Oh, and also hoping we can figure out a way NOT to stain the grout. Maybe seal just the grout first with a small brush after stripping , then stain the tiles and then seal all of it??? 🤞

• Elise van der Jagt
    12 månader sedan

I’d love a recent update! also in Aus and thinking of doing this to our floors…

• Liam N
    11 månader sedan

Would you be able to kindly share the total cost of your painted tiles project? Thanks!

• Jessie Dee
    Författare
    11 månader sedan

Hi Liam, it was a while ago now but under $1k maybe about $600. however remrver we stuffed it up first time so used excess product we didn’t need to.

• shannonvond
    8 månader sedan

Hi. Just wondering how it's holding up. I would like to do our foyer. Four kids, four dogs... just nervous since it's the entryway. :)

• Ian Williams
    8 månader sedan

Also wondering how this is holding up. We would like to do this to an entire floor as well, but I’m still very curious about its longevity!

• Kaylene Cahill
    2 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 månader sedan

I have approached paint techs at numerous paint companies (Aust), desperately seeking a "yes" that they have a slate tile paint product that they will put their name behind. None of them has. One advised that slate has silica in it and thereby is a painting No No. I left my slate floors until last so that any other house renovations/tradies (I did a lot) would not ruin it. I wish now I'd ripped it out. Does anybody have any intel re the suitability of slate towards painting? How horrendous to go to the trouble and then have the paint lift off the tile!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.