roseann_dashkowitz

Building a large hypertufa rock that includes a water fountain

I am making a large rock, (approx. 4ft long,2ft tall, 2ft wide). I am making in stages, as one part cures, I continue adding more hypertufa. I've created a bit of a ravine on one side of rock, and have a hole at the top of the ravine, so when complete, my idea is to dig a hole under that part of rock, add a water basin and pump and have water flow down that side of the rock. I'm doing this so I do not have to dig a whole under the entire rock and the basin will catch the water as it will mostly flow down the ravine. This is going in my backyard, next to the patio. Is this something anyone has ever done before, and if so, is it possible? I've never seen a large bolder made from hypertufa, so hopefully this is doable!

Kommentarer (6)

• User
    3 år sedan

I had success using volcanic rock, light weight, easy to carve/shape, then coated the water path with sealant. 3 large pieces, for a waterfall.

Roseann Dashkowitz thanked User
  • PRO
    Derviss Design
    3 år sedan

I haven't personally done this but have hired artisans to. You may find it inspiring to research the work of Harland Hand, a designer from El Cerrito CA who sculpted an entire hillside using hand made concrete boulders, including a nice water feature. LINK _ https://www.harlandhandgarden.com/pdf/ConcreteGarden.pdf

Roseann Dashkowitz thanked Derviss Design
  • Roseann Dashkowitz
    Författare
    3 år sedan

Thanks for the suggestions! My plan is to put it in my backyard supporting it with cinder blocks and put a water basin and pump underneath it and then cover the area with pond liner and fill in with rocks and flowers. Wish me luck!

• Jeffrey Boudreau
    2 år sedan

How did this project go? I'm really interested in doing a waterfall and wanted to try and use hypertufa, preferable for the entire project but I can not find anyone that has actually done this. Lots of people use this for rock on the sides of ponds, but not the waterfall itself. Any direction or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Roseann Dashkowitz thanked Jeffrey Boudreau
  • Roseann Dashkowitz
    Författare
    förra året

It actually went very well, I didn't make a waterfall though. I just attached a small tube that went to a water pump underneath the rock in a hole filled with water and it just came out like a little bubbling brook. It turned out very well and I've had it outside now for 2 years and it seems to be fine. I will send a picture tomorrow.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.