nfucito56

is this arch load bearing?

nfucito56
2 år sedan

The arch over the counter, that is. 3 contractors have seen this and none of them expressed any concern about removing it. We want to diy it since the removal seems cut and dried.

Kommentarer (18)

• shirlpp
    2 år sedan

You had 3 people on site and they could not tell you whether it was load bearing or not??

• Indecisiveness
    2 år sedan

The arch itself isnt load bearing but the posts might be. you can remove the drywall from the arch and see whats underneath.

• nfucito56
    Författare
    2 år sedan

No, all 3 contractors said that because it is such a small feature, and is not in line with any other wall, that it was not load bearing.

• TBL from CT
    2 år sedan

You need to hire a structural engineer to get a definitive answer.

• Indecisiveness
    2 år sedan

Remove the sheetrock in the two areas circled in red (picture below). If there is lumber up through the center of the decorative posts that goes to the ceiling, then it may be structural and you’ll need to have it checked.

If there is nothing inside the decorative posts, and the space above them is hollow, then youre good to go removing them.

But, patching the drywall celling where you remove that is going to be tedious to make it look like it was never there.

• Circus Peanut
    2 år sedan

No good input other than to repeat what others have said -- I'm just highly amused by this eyesore "feature" -- what on earth were they thinking? It's a bit like one of those fake temples in an Indian restaurant. :)

• Seabornman
    2 år sedan

Is this a one story house? It's probably not load bearing but a trip to the attic would prove it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 år sedan

"You need to hire a structural engineer to get a definitive answer."

Nonsense. A competent framer can tell in minutes.

• PRO
    Lawrence's English Garden
    2 år sedan

Just Looking at Structure from what I see , I also need to see Which way Your Ridge on

Roof Runs & to Outside walls . . to make Final Yeah , or Nay . .

What Under this Area in Basement , also will Reflect a lot on this Area . .

as Arch could be 3 - 2 x 8" with Plywood to Form a Glue-lamb . .

• PRO
    Lawrence's English Garden
    2 år sedan

It also Lines Up with Other Walls in Hall & Other - Outside Big Corner by Double Doors ~ Hello ~

• acm
    2 år sedan

yeah, alignment isn't giving a clear answer in here. look at the framing (and don't worry about patching, since you want to hack it down anyway).

• nfucito56
    Författare
    förra året

Well, here I am less than a year later. The eyesore arch is gone. It was not load bearing and came down so easy, I am surprised it ever stayed up. AND the kitchen has been redone! Take a look at where the former “architectural accent” was!

• nfucito56
    Författare
    förra året

AND- my backslash done with my own 2 little hands. I am pretty proud of it.

• latifolia
    förra året

Nice job!

• palimpsest
    förra året

Thank you for following up with an update.

• nfucito56
    Författare
    förra året

My pleasure. In another thread, someone called the arch “ghetto” and “Roman bath look”. Not anymore!

• Mama Cita
    förra året

Very pretty! Love your backsplash, deft metal mix too

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.