rebecca_cardoso

Tile to wall transition - large gap

Rebecca Cardoso
2 år sedan

Hoping someone can offer some suggestions - after the tile was completed, there is a large gap between the back of the tile and the front if the adjacent drywall. At the bottom, it's about 1/4 inch, and it widens to 1/2 inch, as apparently the existing drywall wasn't vertical (tile ktr insists tile was floated to vertical). So how do I close this gap without it looking ugly? Ktr offered to grout it, but I thought that would look awful and be hard to undo. I was going to put in backer rod, caulk and paint to match the wall, but don't want it to look hokey. Any advice? Telling my ktr to make it look nice is not an option... Thanks in advance!

Kommentarer (8)

• millworkman
    2 år sedan

Pictures?

• PRO
    Lawrence's English Garden
    2 år sedan

Sure - Most don't Look up on Top , Haaa All Kidding aside I I know exactly what You Mean

There are several Top Tile Edges that could be selected , I Go and Get several Samples

Bring Home and try 10 ~ 18 Different Styles & Fits . .

That said You have a Nice straight Line @ Least : Most would have Finished that with Top Tile

Edging around entire Perimeter . .

I have Used a Golden Rope or White Rope style they make them with 90 Degree Backing

those could be Shaped on Back side with Belt Sander ( Turned Up side ) Down ~ Carefully . .

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 år sedan

the fix is to float the walls out to close the gap and make it flush from floor to ceiling

• weedyacres
    2 år sedan

PVC quarter round in a very small profile?

• cpartist
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

I'm sorry but it looks like you might have bigger issues. Was the backer board waterproofed and also it looks like they didn't adhere the tile completely but maybe I'm wrong? Behind the tile is the thin set over the whole tile or just in spots?

• K B
    2 år sedan

It almost looks like they installed the backer board right over the top of the old drywall or whatever was there. Did they cut it back or just stick it on top?

Not a pro,, but this is what I have seen done: If the old drywall wasn't plumb, that gets fixed by taking it out and shimming the framing appropriately to bring it to plumb. Then the backerboard is installed so that the backerboard is just barely recessed so the last row of tiles will be have the edge sit flush. Then the backer is waterproofed. If a waterproof system is being used for thr backerboard, whatever thr system calls for is done. Then the tile is installed. The tile will stick out beyond the drywall of course, but is either finished with some sort of edging strip or a special edging, bull nose, etc.

It looks like you have the backerboard installed over the drywall AND I am not seeing any waterproofing type of system. But maybe there's something I can't see.

Is there a shower pan or tub or is the shower also tiled? If it is tiled, is there an appropriate slope or does water sit in parts?

• PRO
    Lawrence's English Garden
    2 år sedan

Haaa , Lets make Problem even Larger & More Time Consuming . .

Add Edging Tile to Floor & Base Trim

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.