xuanuna

Should I glue and nail or nail only Tigerwood flooring?

xuanuna
2 år sedan

Fellow houzzers please advise.

I am installing Brazilian Koa/Tigerwood because I LOVE that wood. A friend said to me that that flooring is not good for our temperate climate, due to the dryness and humidity that comes with the change of seasons. Despite his reason I am bent on installing my tigerwood. My question is what is the best way to install I guess to minimize the movement of the planks when they shrink and expand?

Should I glue and nail of just nail only? The floor will be placed on 3/4 inch plywood.

Please advise… Any comments will be appreciated, even the neighsayers😉.

Kommentarer (5)

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    2 år sedan

"due to the dryness and humidity that comes with the change of seasons"

Is he basing that on outdoor conditions? Many confuse that.

xuanuna thanked Uptown Floors
  • Timothy Winzell
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

Uptown is right. What matters is your indoor humidity. Even in high humidity, high temperature environments, wood floors can be suitable. The biggest issue generally comes from areas where the winter humidity approaches zero and the wood shrinks and cracks if no humidity is added to the inside air.

That said, solid wood can benefit from gluing in addition to nailing. What width are you using?

xuanuna thanked Timothy Winzell
  • PRO
    LaValle Flooring Inc
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

If you feel that nailing down and gluing will remediate low indoor humidity, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment down the road.

One of the best investments you can make in your home is to have a humidifier/ dehumidifier, it could potentially save you thousands and trim, Cabinetry, and any other wood work in your home.

However, humidity a side, we typically only glue and nail down large-format planks. Typically 9" x 60". For regular sized planks, it's simply Overkill, though it won't hurt.

At the end of the day, your manufacturer is going to be the best source of guidance in this installation. Best of luck!

-Norberto A Rivera

Chief Technical Advisor @LaValle Flooring

xuanuna thanked LaValle Flooring Inc
  • xuanuna
    Författare
    2 år sedan

Thank you guys for your input.

@Uptown Floors I refer to indoor conditions.

@Timothy Winzell The planks are 3/4 x 5”.

@LaValle Flooring Inc Thanks for the information. I will definitely invest in a dehumidifier/ humidifier.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 år sedan

The 5" wood is on the cusp of NEEDING glue assist or full spread glue with nail in place. The manufacturer's installation instructions will dictate your choice.

If they say, glue-assist with nails, then you will use glue-assist with your nailing schedule (which they will state as well). If they require full spread glue WITH nail down, then you will use the full spread glue.

You will also follow all acclimation requirements as spelled out by the installation instructions. You will measure the moisture content (MC) of the plywood and the wood upon delivery and then you wait until the two woods are within X% of each other (often 3%...but the installation instructions will dictate what the readings are).

As you can see, the installation instructions that come with the wood (or found on line) will tell you every step you take, when you take that step and HOW you take the step.

Before going any further, I will refer you to the installation instructions of your wood product.

xuanuna thanked SJ McCarthy
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.