nick_fuller

Should we do any backyard landscaping prior to sale?

Nick Fuller
2 år sedan
senast redigerad:2 år sedan

My wife and I are debating on what to do with our back yard prior to sale in the coming weeks. I'd like to simply clean it up but leave the blank slate of dirt with a pool in the middle. She would like to put gravel such as decomposed granite everywhere. It would take about 15-20 tons of gravel to cover the entire yard.I am leaning towards doing nothing because any potential buyer could do anything they want. My thought is that if I bought a house with gravel and I didn't like the gravel, I'd have to pull that up prior, so just an extra step. We are in Arizona. Thoughts?

Kommentarer (16)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 år sedan

Oh my. That’s a big fat No on the gravel for me.

• Fori
    2 år sedan

Landscaping might help it sell faster; gravel/GD everywhere probably won't.

But it's AZ--y'all do appreciate rocks. :) So, ask your real estate agent. That's what you're paying them for!

• pleballerina
    2 år sedan

What gardengal48 said. Save that money for your new home.

• Kendrah
    2 år sedan

No on the gravel. Can you post a picture? We might have some other good tips on how you can easily spruce it up on a shoe string to give it more appeal. Sometimes a few simple things can help make the suggestion to buyers of it becoming an enticing backyard. Triggering the imagination is what staging is all about.

• shars55
    2 år sedan

If I was buying a house, I'd rather have nothing than gravel or DG. I absolutely hate them, and would have to go to all the work to take it all out to landscape the way I wanted. I would ask the advice of your agent, they are more familiar with what buyers in your area are looking for.

• arcy_gw
    2 år sedan

I would need to see the yard but most of the time the answer is clean/tidy/repair. I totally agree that you have no way of knowing what a buyer will want. Gravel? That sounds uncomfortable on the feet... It is sooo curious to watch these things unfold in a neighborhood. A home selling, they put in a gravel car parking area in a couple of years prior to moving to accommodate the teenager's car. The new owners spent HOURS raking up that gravel up putting it back to grass as they didn't have six cars that needed parking.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 år sedan

Spent two years digging gravel "mulch" out of a flower bed so I could plant Day Lilies. Of course, AZ is a good spot for xeriscape and it can be very pretty. I do think you'll need to add some plants though.

A rainwater catchment pool supports new trees and plants · Mer info

Curvilinear & Lustrous - Phoenix Paradise · Mer info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

I would not do anything why spend money on something that hoestly would probaly deter more buyers . That much gravel will cost a fortune and give you no ROI Clean the yard up leave a clean slate for the new owner/ It would be good to at least post a pic or two.

• Kristy Seaman
    2 år sedan

Must be something about AZ because friends of ours wanted a backyard of concrete. Here in Ohio, gravel would definitely be a no.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 år sedan

In my opinion, either fully landscape or do nothing. Don't just dump gravel and call it "landscaped". A properly landscaped yard with a mixture of hardscape, gravel, and most importantly plants would be a selling feature. A yard just covered in gravel seems like a turnoff because it would still need landscaping and would probably add more work. You could also consult with a local real estate expert to know what's most desirable in your area.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 år sedan

If a sale listing is pending in the "coming weeks", then you do NOT want to add landscaping! Unless you invest in fully mature plants, it can only look like a brand newly planted garden and will not add significantly to any sale prospects. Plus, you will not realize a return on that investment with an increased sales price so that money is just wasted. Even more so when any new owners rip it all out and replace with their own choices.

• oreolucca1
    2 år sedan

I would clean it up the best you can. Clean sells houses. You would be surprised how many people do t do a thorough clean of the yard and interior. Good luck

• la_la Girl
    2 år sedan

(omg I still curse the person who dropped gravel in our backyard and it's been 17 years)

• Aphaea
    2 år sedan

I had to take up a lot of small decorative rocks around the entire house. Cost me a lot of money and made me mad. I would have much preferred just plain dirt, neatly placed and raked. It's like painting the house white/cream rather than a color. Let the potential buyers see their vision, not your choices.

• PRO
    JSL Landscape Design Build
    2 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 år sedan

Given the real estate market, (I live in AZ too) I doubt a prospective buyer would use the unlandscaped yard as a negotiating tactic to justify their offer. Its a seller's market and chances are you will have multiple offers once it is listed - provided its not over priced. Don't cover it with gravel. Feature it as a "clean slate" ready to be custom landscaped per the buyer's wishes. Realtors are good at spinning an otherwise negative feature into a positive attribute.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.