mars4366

Thin kitchen countertops in the Boston area?

T L
förra året

I'm interested in getting a thin countertop for my kitchen. I've visited and called 5 places close to Boston and it's like I'm asking them to put the counter on the ceiling, none of them seem to understand why anyone would ever want something less than 3cm or (more importantly) how anyone could possibly create such a monstrosity.
Oddly, the only place offering anything like what I want is home Depot with Thinscape, but I don't like the colors.
Has anyone been able to find a business that is able to make and install a thin countertop in the Boston area?

Kommentarer (9)

• rwiegand
    förra året

What material are you thinking of? And how thin? Any laminate shop should be able to give you a 3/4" or maybe 5/8" thick plywood with laminate. I doubt 1/2" would be sufficiently stable. Solid wood would be fine at that thickness, a stainless top on plywood would also work. Coarian could be made that thin at the edges, but would almost certainly need structural shoring up to keep from sagging.

I'd think any kind of stone or tile will require continuous solid 3/4" ply tops for your cabinets and little or no overhangs. That can be done, but one really wonders why saving a cm or two of thickness would be worth that kind of effort and expense. I'd expect to have to sign some big time disclaimers of any warranty for any natural or synthetic stone at that thickness.

• T L
    Författare
    förra året

I'm fine with any material as long as it's not the cheap laminate I have now and it comes in a mostly solid black or dark grey.

I don't need large overhangs and would be fine with the countertop flush to the cabinets if possible (seems unlikely around here though).

Your points all sound reasonable, but I know these things do exist, at least on the internet and Europe, but maybe not in real life? Wilson art Thinscape comes in 1/2 inch

• just_janni
    förra året
    Ändrades senast: förra året

there's a super thin stone from a domestic quarry - called polycor

https://www.polycor.com/stones/

1 CM thick. Very cool. Not inexpensive - but fits your needs - has a backing allowing it to be unsupported like thicker stone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    förra året

2cm stone can be installed with no underlayment. Check your appliance height beforehand please.

T L thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • T L
    Författare
    förra året

@just_janni Yes, I did find that on the internet, but all the countertop people around here have never heard of it and basically just can't understand why anyone would ever want anything but the thickest countertop they can afford

• PRO
    Wilsonart
    förra året

We're thrilled you are interested in our new composite countertop, THINSCAPE Performance Tops. We'll preview new designs for Spring 2023 at the annual Kitchen & Bath Industry Show. Should you have any questions on Where to Buy, contact us at 800-433-3222 or smartline@wilsonart.com.

• just_janni
    förra året

I got samples of the polycor - it's cool. Supply is limited. I am considering building a counter / desk in front of a large window with a horizontal divider and just having metal brackets at each side wall so that it virtually disappears if there is no chair there.

It's a more modern aesthetic to go with something that thin (also any of the sintered stone products) but there is demand. I have had 2CM granite in my current home for 25 years - love the lesser visual weight of it for my style

• lharpie
    förra året

We have 2 cm dekton and i like the appearance. lots of options if you can accept 2 cm…

• aelem
    förra året

Corian also comes in 2cm. I too like the appearance of a thin counter.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.