hillary_bluhm

White grid windows? Yes or no?

Poppy
förra året

We’re remodeling the exterior of our house. Hoping for something more modern, but also true to the architecture of the home. I have no clue what exterior paint we’ll do yet as we plan to keep the existing stone. (Maybe light greige?) The house seems cottage-y to me so I’m thinking we’ll start with changing out the old windows to a white grid style. Would that look best? Would love some input as this is a bigger project for us. Thanks!

Kommentarer (16)

• Shasta
    förra året

I would remove shutters and do no window grids for a cleaner, more modern look.

• houssaon
    förra året

I agree the shutters should go, but I think the grids go with the style of the house.

• ladybug74
    förra året

Ditto. Remove shutters and decorative details on garage door. Add a more modern planter - metal urn, resin that looks like concrete, your choice. It will make it look less cottagey. I think it has lovely structure, colour looks lovely.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    förra året

No window grids will give you a more unobstructed view. Don't really see that the style of your house need grids anyway.

• Jilly
    förra året
    Ändrades senast: förra året

Yes to white (or bronze, etc — depends on what paint you decide) and keeping grids, and yes to going in a more rustic cottage direction than anything modern. Nice house, very pretty stone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    förra året

Get a better picture, and closer, please.

• Poppy
    Författare
    förra året

Does this help? We obviously still have some landscaping and other work too 😆

• Jilly
    förra året

I’m picturing window planters in front of the two on the right. I have them at every house I live in.

Wood or iron, and come in so many different styles. One long one, or two separate.

When landscaping, think about enlarging the beds and adding other decor besides plants for an inviting entry — bird bath, cool old chair or bench, boulder, etc.

To me, your house has a European cottage style look with the different materials and that’s what I’d play up.

But I’m always swimming against the modern, minimal tide here. ;)

• Kendrah
    förra året

Your paint selection, removing the shutters, and landscaping will change everything about the look of the house. Without shutters, I think it will make more sense to have windows without grids. Are there other homes on your street that look like yours and have paint finish that you like? What do you notice about grids or not on those homes?

• Poppy
    Författare
    förra året

I like the idea of iron window boxes. Or a bird bath. I’m more into traditional cozy decor, lots of flowering plants, and my husband likes modern so we are trying to marry the two in this house. We’ve done the interior in a agreeable grey with white cabinets. Floors are dark brown still. We’ve updated the fireplace to floor to ceiling in large black blue slate with a rustic honey wood mantle. More industrial lighting with copper. Lots of neutral textures.

For the exterior I’m planning on removing the shutters because they are too small. I’m open to replacing them down the road if the house seems like it needs them. I think we have a lot of options to go as far as the neighborhood vibe, only the neighbor across from us has updated their windows to grid less white. The rest of us still have gridded Grey windows. And only two houses in the neighborhood have updated paint and both picked white and kept the stucco.

• chispa
    förra året

Window boxes require work, so unless you really like gardening I wouldn't add them.

• Jilly
    förra året

All landscaping requires work. I don’t find them any more difficult than potted plants — actually easier than my small pots. And mine is in full Texas sun.

They also have a certain charm even when empty (in the right setting).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    förra året

IMO the home is no particular architectural style but if you want a bit more modern look remove the shutters do not do window boxes and no grids in the windows. I would go bronze windows and a the dark color from the stone for the siding and bronze for the trim The garage door painted the same as the siding .

• Poppy
    Författare
    förra året

In your experience is bronze inside and outside best or bronze exterior and white interior? I’ve seen a similar look to what you’re describing trending in mountain homes and have been wondering if our house could shine with that. We’re in the Wasatch foothills.

• Jennz9b
    förra året

No window grids

• emily9972
    förra året

As much as I’m in favor of efficient windows, I really dislike the faux grids, even on some of the better quality wood windows, they just look fake to me. Embrace a more updated look and leave the grids to more historic homes. I like the blue shutters on the bottom window but not the upper one. Do you have budget for a new garage door? One with more character and less generic looking? I think a gray that is in the stone would be nice for the house. You have lots of colors going on currently. Streamlining the color scheme might unify the appearance.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.