d4daniela

Cabin/Ski House refresh

d4daniela
6 månader sedan

We just bought this lovely home in Western Maine and I’m looking to refresh it a bit. The interior paint color is a sage green and just makes the living are really dark and dated. I don’t like the cherry cabinets and I want to paint them. I’m considering painting both the walls and cabinets the same color with different sheens. Thinking SW Agreeable Gray or BM Revere Pewter to keep it neutral because of the wood tones, though Revere Pewter may be too dark. Thoughts, photos, suggestions?

Kommentarer (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 månader sedan

You need better lighting first then decide on wall color IMO the green is great choice with all that wood but just lighter I use this cut 50 % often with wood . I do not think beige or gray tones are agood choice for walls or cabinets. Make sure all the lighting is the same LEDs either 4000K or 3500K no lower for sure or all the space will have a yellow cast making everything harder to choose. I agree to painting the cabinets IMO the 3 wood tones are too many.BTW black appliances eat light so stainless would be abetter choice .

• Houzz-ID: 574454193
    6 månader sedan

Professionally painting cabinets is not a quick or cheap fix if you want a durable end result.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    6 månader sedan

I would lighten the walls and that’s it for now. The cabinets could grow on me with different wall colour.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 månader sedan

I wouldn't use light or medium grey with that beautiful wood you have -- you want something that is going to enhance the beauty of the wood, that sort of grey is just going to make it all look blah. Both your paint mentions looked dreary grey in my house, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will probably look dreary grey in Maine, too. A deep, earthy grey might work well, but no light grey. Agree green is a great choice with wood.

What really sticks out to me is the red of the cabinets -- I'm a wood lover, but those cabinets just don't look good with all the other wood you've got going on (which is beautiful BTW). I'd consider painting in perhaps a muted green and then something in the creamy white family on the walls that harmonizes with your wood. If you want green on the walls, maybe another earthy color for the cabinets instead.

A warm white may also look very good here -- I love warm white walls with wood trim when done well. The trick is make sure the undertone in the white goes well with the wood (absolutely no cool whites with the wood you have).

• kandrewspa
    6 månader sedan

Agreeable Gray is very popular, and probably looks great in a lot of instances, but if you want to brighten your house I don't know that it's the right choice. I think it looks best with more natural light. Maybe it's because of the time of day you took the picture, but it doesn't look like you have a lot of natural light. The floors and ceiling are very warm, so I would be looking for a warmer color than AG in any case. The cabinets are reddish, but the floors and ceiling look like they have a yellow or orange undertone which is going to make it difficult to find something that works. This is probably why the previous owners chose green, so you might want to consider Patricia's idea. Keep an open mind and sample several colors. Don't neglect whites - look for a white that is close the countertop color. Maybe that would tie everything together.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    6 månader sedan

Take your cue from the view out the windows - beautiful greens. I agree with Patricia about using a soft, pale green for the walls, and the black wood on the island. The dark appliances do dominate, but that’s a big expense to replace if they are functional. If you paint the cabs, they will really tak over.

• mytwo cents
    6 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 månader sedan

I'd want to get away from green as well, in any variety. But I'd be looking for a milky light color, and while I know ski houses are not supposed to be sophisticated, I'd like that for a color scheme, even with all the unpainted wood. I'd leave the cherry cabinets alone because I don't think paint will improve them, do milky ovaltine for the walls, and dark chocolate accents. I think bringing some dark against the windows will help brighten the inside. I realize this is nothing like a cabin, but this is the kind of lightening up I'd be trying for, not greens as a wall color, You've got better natural greens outside.

I picked this photo to show the orange-y terracotta vase because your cabinets and window trim are in the same range, and I think the milky walls interact nicely

Maybe not velvet for a Maine cabin, but some tones that are earthy dark even with cabin rustic fabrics

On my device it is hard to tell what tone your counter is. If it's got yellow more than anything, need to be careful with the warm pinkish colors I've picked. I can see it's a sophisticated piece of stone, so that's also one reason I'd veer away from green.

• RedRyder
    6 månader sedan

Another vote for a creamy ivory (not white) on the walls and possibly the cabinets.

I would paint the walls first and see if that makes you like your house more. Using something like SW Antique in eggshell (not matte) will change the house a lot. It also gives you a chance to see if the cabinets need to be painted or suddenly they look better.

Agree that grays are wrong. You have wood floors, ceiling and doors. Stick with pale, pale greens as has been suggested but do the walls first.

I have a house with a lot of wood trim and it was painted khaki when I bought it. Painting the house Antique changed it dramatically. I love green in any shade but couldn’t use it on the walls because it darkened my house the same way it is darkening yours. My refaced kitchen is in SW creamy (another warm ivory) and my granite countertop has greens and grays.

• Jilly
    6 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 månader sedan

I really like this fresh color scheme with wood accents — the cabinets are SW Evergreen Fog, walls are SW Shoji White, and trim is SW Loggia.

I recently saw a picture of a mtn cabin done in warm blues and creams with natural wood, I’ll try to find it. It was so pretty.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    3 månader sedan

We think doing better lighting, along with painting the walls will help this space a lot. We also might look at painting the island white instead of the black color it looks like it is. You could also look at updating the hardware to silver or nickel instead of what it currently is.

Suncadia Mountain Retreat · Mer info

Bellevue Penthouse · Mer info

• lablvr
    2 månader sedan

Our cabin has the same similar green and pine tongue and groove on the lower part of the walls. My problem is I bought a new sofa and it appears to be gray/blue and I don't like itbwith the green walls. I'm thinking a creamy white for the walls and then I can accentbwith different colors. See photos attached. The cabin is only 3 yo so I'm not changing the color of the wood or flooring. I'd love to get rid of the couch but it's not in the budget.

• RedRyder
    2 månader sedan

Try different whites/ivories. Using Samplize is easier and cheaper than pots of sample paint. Certain whites will make it look like the sheet rock wasn’t painted at all and some ivories will look yellow. You have to try several to see which one works in your Maine cabin.

Increasing the wattage of your bulbs will help, too.

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    förra månaden

A lighter wall color might really help lighten things up. Notice this design we recently completed for a client:

Mt. Washington Ski House · Mer info

• happyleg
    förra månaden

Pistachio green is a good color it's light and soft

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.