fay_pappas

exterior Renovation Ideas (1959 residence)

G X
5 månader sedan

This is a family member’s mid-century 1959 carport ranch. Exterior is original, but for door, and is looking to update. Located in Central Florida. Thoughts welcomed!

Kommentarer (11)

• Sigrid
    5 månader sedan

I love your arched columns. I'd replace the ones by the carport with something similar. Perhaps a bit smaller, but the same shape. The brick "shutters" are strange. I'd paint them the same as the siding. The door is not MCM and boring. If you don't replace it with something more period, paint it a bright color.

The rest is really nice. I'd have flowers year-round if I lived in Florida.

• apple_pie_order
    5 månader sedan

Is your family member's budget for new paint or more extensive changes? It's a nice looking house. The shutter areas need to be repaired with new stucco to match the existing stucco.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 månader sedan

Do you want MCM or something else? I do not like the arches if MCM is the aim. Threbrick is odd to say the least . I need a lot more info please . Post here in comments DO NOT start another post.I guess you need to get that info from the owner.

• Sigrid
    4 månader sedan

The house is a genuine and interestingpretty MCM house. I would not remove the columns to make the house look more genericly MCM.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 månader sedan

I am waiting to here from the OP and unless you want Spanish Hacienda style the arches need to go.We need info please posted here in comments DO NOT start another post. But always nice to come back and answer questions or provide more info.You posted here asking about an atomic ranch a few days what excatly are you doing.

• doods
    4 månader sedan

I feel it is all very nice, except for the door, and the carport support posts. I would beef up the support posts and change the door to something more modern.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 månader sedan

Agree with getting rid of the arches. Beef up the front 2 posts, and paint the whole house one color. New front door, a bench or seating with a rug/runner on the porch.

• fpappas13
    4 månader sedan

Thank you all for your comments! A few answers: the arches and the rest of the exterior are original to the house. What we know is that this home was the featured "model home" for the original planned community in the late 1950s through early 1960s. The homes were built by the Martin Company (now Lockheed Martin) to relocate young engineers and their families to their new Central Florida HQ where they worked on projects related to the Space Race. It is a flat top ranch and my best guess is the builders were trying to go for a "hacienda" or Spanish Mediterranean-themed Mid-Century Modern home. The homeowners (relatives of mine) have maintained it in very good condition, but I've never seen a MCM like this anywhere else. They've asked me to post for some of this group's collective wisdom on what to do with this and I appreciate any and all thoughts! The original red tile walkway is cracking and they just want to honor its unique MCM heritage, while also updating it a bit.

• PRO
    Full Fathom Five Interior Design
    4 månader sedan

It does look at bit confused between MCM and hacienda, but still charming! I miss these Florida houses. I think I'd lean into the hacienda--if the budget is somewhat restricted, maybe grow bougainvillea with a climbing vine to cover those spindly carport columns. I like Dig Doug's image, just select a door that leans Spanish in style, in natural wood if possible, and at least paint the brick shutters to blend into the stucco. Inside, you can go as MCM as you like.

• ffpalms
    4 månader sedan

I like Full Fathom Five Design’s suggestion to lean into the hacienda style. I love these examples of off-white body with dark brown trim, and the dark stained door.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.