gosully

Fireplace update needed

gosully
4 månader sedan

Just bought an older home and would like to update the fireplace and shelves. Welcome your suggestions. Not sure at this point if I will put a TV above as it does seem a little high.

Kommentarer (12)

• la_la Girl
    4 månader sedan

Congrats on the house! 2 quick questions: Are you considering custom cabinetry or are you looking for more of a DIY, budget friendly approach? Is that an electric fireplace that could be removed?

• Kate Cowers
    3 månader sedan

I'd remove that huge mantel. It's horrible! Then hang a great art print above.

• palimpsest
    3 månader sedan

How old is "older"? That fireplace mantle looks like it is from the 1980s or early 1990s maybe.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 månader sedan

IMO rip all the stuff out except for the actual firebox. Those shelves are useless the mantel ridiculous . Is this a FP you are actully going to use ? IMO a a nice smaller FP box would be better . What is your style and please post a pic of the whole room post here ina comment DO NOT start another post. The TV cannot go there unless you want to lie down to watch it.

• Lyn Nielson
    3 månader sedan

Any hope that the Firebox could be recessed into the wall a bit deeper?

I'd try for that first thing.

It would look better if all the shelves and surround were removed.

if that is your best spot for a mounted TV, then drywall flush to the FP box and cover the lowers with doors and use for TV components and storage.

• palimpsest
    3 månader sedan

I think it might look good with the deep recesses filled in and a simple bolection type fireplace surround. I left part of the original mantle, which is in the bolection shape, because I just cut and paste to cover over the rest

• acm
    3 månader sedan

Simple: remove mantel, paint out the line around the fireplace and use black Rustoleum on the silver metal parts (as in Beverly's mock-up). The shelves are useful if you have TV/stereo components, books, or other things you want to display -- if you're straining to figure out what to put there, it might be worth removing them, or closing the bottom half, at least, into cupboards. Can't tell what the fireplace surround is, but you might want to replace it with something you like, or paint a color that contrasts with but harmonizes with your wall paint.

• acm
    3 månader sedan

Like this, maybe.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    förra månaden

We might suggest removing all of the shelves and then replacing or removing the current mantle. The TV might work over the fireplace, but there also might be a better location for it. If you can post more images of the room we can help more.

Echo Lake Modern · Mer info

• PRO
    Joe McGuire Design
    förra månaden

Maybe try removing the shelves and updating the mantle. The TV might be able to work above the fireplace, it would all depend on if you have it on an articulating arm or not. If you did, you could pull it down off the wall some.

Bleeker Street · Mer info

• Houzz-ID: 910663146
    förra månaden

You can buy a MantelMount for installing TVs. MM lets you pull the TV down lower for viewing.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.