holiver1230

Lighten up Knotty Pine Ceiling?

holiver1230
3 månader sedan

We are (finally) remodeling our house on the lake. The demo began last week and as the suspended ceiling came down, this knotty pine was revealed. We were going to rip it out and drywall but now, I’m wondering if there is a way to strip it or something to make it more of a “driftwood” color? Any suggestions?

Kommentarer (11)

• deegw
    3 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 månader sedan

People usually have strong feelings about old knotty pine. Either they want to cover it with paint or leave it untouched. Yours is nice but also orange and bossy. There are treatments where you can lightly wash it so it retains some of the character but it won't look like stained wood.

You can search for - Sarah Richardson knotty pine. She's a popular designer that washed her knotty pine and a lot of people like the result.

• arcy_gw
    3 månader sedan

White wash!! Check out Sarah Richardson's ski chalet from a few years back. HUGE deference.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 månader sedan

Well be prepared to strip the whole thing first it is porbably oil based and the white wash needs to have no finish under it to take properly. If all the walls will also be wood then I would paint those and leave the ceiling but I need to see the whole space and understand your plans. I happen to not like knotty pine but my style is very contemporary and not much wood at all.

• Maureen
    3 månader sedan

Is it sealed? https://nestingwithgrace.com/pickled-wood-ceilings-how-we-took-out-the-orange-tone/

Consider how much light affects each room, as well as your furniture choices. Research options and decide where and how to address based on your effort/time/budget.

Maybe in bedrooms, consider how you want them to feel as they can be treated differently.

https://www.myrepurposedlife.com/painting-knotty-pine/

• holiver1230
    Författare
    3 månader sedan

It is Knotty Pine from the 1940’s, maybe 30’s. We had a suspended ceiling and that has been taken down. We are drywalling and we’re planning on doing the whole thing. I’m more contemporary and we like on a large inland lake in Michigan.

• John 9a
    3 månader sedan

You may wish to leave some highlights, or areas with wood for accent areas....one room perhaps...but I agree that stripping the finish off would be an awful job....upside down makes it even worse. I'm re-doing a home with some nice wood ceilings but they are EVERYWHERE! I want wood here and there but not everywhere.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    3 månader sedan

White + Orange =Peach. Not sure 80's Miami Vice is the look you are going for. I'd carefully remove the pine, and apply drywall to the ceiling. The salvaged pine could help to pay for further work being done on the project. That also give you the chance to deal with the wiring, insulation, and electrical needs. Which it needs. There's probably fire hazard old cotton shellac ungrounded wire up there and no insulation. Even so, the orange pine is loads better than the 70's pressed board paneling, so you might want to keep the pine that you pull down, for a few features here and there.

• millworkman
    3 månader sedan

" Paint it. Stripping it would be a heinous job. "

Hallett & Co. is spot on, but it may actually be more work than "heinous". All the stain needs to come off, every groove or it will look awful going lighter.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    förra månaden

If you're wanting to lighten the knotty pine, we think doing the drywall might be the easiest and fastest solution. Are you keeping the walls knotty pine?

Suncadia Mountain Retreat · Mer info

• holiver1230
    Författare
    förra månaden

Sorry, the knotty pine is gone but thanks for the suggestion!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.