webuser_113178113

need help redoing front of house

Suz Rx
2 månader sedan

Interested in redoing front of house with new paint color, stamped concrete floor, new front door.

Roof is a red Spanish tile so thinking of painting house white but not sure what to do with landscaping leading up to house.

Any ideas welcome

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 månader sedan

We for sure need to see the house in natural light and from far enough away to see the whole front of the house too. From the pics my first thought was get rid of those weird trees or shrubs that block the windows and change the front door,

• Lyn Nielson
    2 månader sedan

I like the white paint idea. I would accent the entry with a colored door, even the inside of the alcove painted to highlight the shape. I'd remove the dramatic plantings, your architecture is interesting enough.

• tfitz1006
    2 månader sedan

Agree to simplifying the landscaping. If you painted white, a turquoise door might be cool.

• Kendrah
    2 månader sedan
    Ändrades senast: 2 månader sedan

The roof is Spanish but nothing about the rest of your house is so I'd caution the Spanish white stucco look. It could end up being stark and misfitting. Can you post daylight pics?

What climate, area do you live in?

• acm
    2 månader sedan

I think the Japanese-style "island" to the right is beautiful, but the weird sculpted bush on the left is unfortunate. There's not a lot of space there, though, so maybe a small bush that would flower nicely? It looks like grass has a hard time wherever you are, so you might consider gravel or stone for part of the yard, or look into native groundcovers that will thrive in your region.

• Suz Rx
    Författare
    2 månader sedan

We are in Southern California near the beach. These are the day Time pictures. We are planning on keeping the Japanese style tree but removing the left stacked tree and shrubs.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 månader sedan

This house is a true mish mash of styles none of which is cohesive at all. The entry and roof Spanish the rest builder grade BLAH so you need to decide how much money you want to spend getting an exterior that is one. Those Japanese trees do not work with Spanish for sure . To ne honest the pics in daylight do not even look like the same house .

• pkpk23
    2 månader sedan

Whatever color you select, the garage doors and surrounding woodwork should be painted same color as body of house so they are not so prominent.

• emmarene9
    2 månader sedan

I like the topiary. I think your pretty entry path has a tunnel look due to the hedges and the Bird of Paradise. I would remove them and replace with something that would stay under 10 inches. I suggest you do all that before removing the bullet topiary. You may decide to keep it.

Regarding the door, will you be changing the motif above the door as well?

What is your growing zone?

• PRO
    Derviss Design
    2 månader sedan

I view your house as a Southern California fusion design that is quite prevalent in tract homes in our west coast area . These can be challenging but also rewarding when renovating to pull it all together into a cohesive design. You can take your design intent towards the spanish spectrum or completely modernize it by chosing a garage door and front door that share a narrative . The paint color will also aid in unification as will the landscape.

From a landscape architectural perspective my eye is drawn to 3 main elements that constrast with one another in disharmony : The japanese pine that is cloud pruned, the tiered topiary and the rigid boxwood like shurbs that emphasize the rectilinear brick edged pathway.

I would retain the Japanese stylized black pine and the understory of undulating zoysia grass and use that as your guiding principle , From there I would removed the tiered topary and the boxed hedged shrubs.

Replace them with a soft mass plantings of Agave attenuatas, sencio and cycads and a pop of color with Anigozanthos .

This planting scheme speaks to the pan pacific fusion style of Southern California while giving a nod to your climate.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.