mark_rollins22

Arranging marble looking porcelain tiles with some pattern matching.

Mark Rollins
15 dagar sedan
senast redigerad:15 dagar sedan

After sorting my tiles, I found that out of 62 tiles, there were several that could be matched together with minimal or no discontinuity at the edge to form a seamless pair of tiles. Here is a photo of all my tiles with the bottom 2 rows showing matching pairs I discovered. Would it ever make design sense to incorporated these matching pairs into the final wall layout ?

Here's a close up of a couple:

And here is an example of how I could 'randomly' arrange them on a wall portion:

Does this make any design sense or should I go completely random ?

Secondary question. Does it make sense to arrange random tiles such that, like finding animals shapes in the clouds, shapes could appear in the tile veins ? Here's an example, and although random it kind of looks like a humanoid shooting a laser from its hand:

While laying out these tiles in my computer program, my OCD has seriously kicked in, so I need some help :). Thanks all.

Kommentarer (11)

• millworkman
    15 dagar sedan
    Ändrades senast: 15 dagar sedan

The problem with doing "matching pairs" is what do when you have none left? It will make the non-matching pairs look even worse. I would install all random.

• Lyn Nielson
    15 dagar sedan

Yes. match what you can and separate the repeat so it looks more natural.

I generally try to let a 'line' flow in one direction... like low left to top right or the opposite. Depending on how I see it from entering the room. whatever pleases you.

I currently have a small guest bath with the line starting at the doorway floor and traveling left, away from the door at an angle (if you can follow that)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 dagar sedan
    Ändrades senast: 14 dagar sedan

These are meant to be randomly installed. They are not meant to yield the appearance of a stone slab, carved out of the earth.

You are warned not to ask porcelain faux marble anything to mime Mother Nature. It will not.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    14 dagar sedan

Don't do it; at best it'll look contrived.

• PRO
    Minardi
    14 dagar sedan

It will look tacky and low end to try to match up veining. Not to mention the installer will charge 10x what was originally estimated to deal with the headache of dealing with an engineer. Setting to any pattern like that, laid out by a homeowner, is an ultra plus labor upgrade.

It's supposed to look random. Otherwise, go buy a stone slab and use that.

• Travestine
    14 dagar sedan

A directional flow is quite different than trying to connect veining to make it look like a slab.

• chispa
    14 dagar sedan

If you look closely, the tiler does try to match similar veins from tile to tile, but the ultimate goal is a smooth flow across the wall.

There is no right or wrong, just what is pleasing to the homeowner's eye!

• John 9a
    14 dagar sedan

Our eyes/minds are used to certain things. We can't fully focus our attention to EVERY detail so we tend to look for mis-matches. I think that is why random is better.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    14 dagar sedan

Is there a picture on the tile companies website showing this tile installed on a floor or wall? That might help

• Mark Rollins
    Författare
    13 dagar sedan

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate all the replies. Going random was advised the most and it makes sense after considering all the comments above.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.