webuser_811169569

Which of these neutrals do I need to get rid of to fix my bedroom?

Hayley Haskin
10 dagar sedan

I was so excited to paint my master bedroom white, put up my gold curtain rod and tall white curtains, and expected to be absolutely in love with the result. I did not expect to have created this gross, neutral and clashy setup that makes me hate my bedroom after so much hard work.

It is so many mismatched shades of white. I definitely chose the wrong white for the walls itself, but can’t tell if it would be a bit better looking if I removed some of the contrasting whites that is all your eyes are drawn to.

I am on a budget:

• replace the side tables with natural wooden colors to match my organic modern goal.
  • get a new comforter and sheets. Should I do white comforter or something different? Any concern about wall clash?
  • Get bamboo blinds to replace the current ones, hopefully will really elevate space.
  • Replace ceiling fan with a wicker light fixture.

Please help with any reccomendations you’d do to elevate this space! I have also included two of my “inspiration photos” from online that I would copy in a heartbeat.

Final note - I know not ideal with bed in front of window, this is the only spot in the room it can go, so please no suggestions on that placement.

Thank you so much!!

Kommentarer (17)

• Paul F.
    9 dagar sedan

Texture and pattern would be a start

• kazzh
    9 dagar sedan

Mrs Pete has provided some great insights.

I would start with finding some wood bedsides, then address the vertical blinds. Take it step by step to see how things improve with incremental adjustments.

• Kendrah
    9 dagar sedan

You are pulling off a really hard task - making a mostly neutrals room look good. It is something that most skilled designers don't even have an easy time with. So don't be too hard on yourself.

What works in each of your inspiration pics is that the white is crisp and punctuated by a contrasting wood tone that is the same kind of wood throughout the room. Pic #1 floor, headboard, nightstands are the same wood tone and even the brass curtain rod looks almost the same as the wood tones. Pic #2 Chandelier, chest, bench legs are the same wood tone and the head board and throw blanket look nearly the same as the wood. So in fact, both of these pics almost look like two toned rooms - wood and white - rather than completely white rooms.

Try to make a two toned effect in your room: First group of colors - white of your curtains and duvet. Second group of colors - greige of your lamps and headboard. Get crisp white pillow cases to match your crisp white curtain and duvet. Up the greige - Paint your nightstands the same color as the lamps, add a throw blanket to the foot of your bed the same color as the lamps. Paint the wood on your fan the same color as your ceiling.

I think these are low cost fixes that could make a difference.

• Rho Dodendron
    9 dagar sedan

The different shades of white add interest. The two unrelated-to-each-other window treatments on one window would make anyone hate this room.

• PRO
    AiFL
    9 dagar sedan

The whites you’ve picked are fine, just really flat. You need texture and pattern.

• jo mu
    9 dagar sedan

I think what's killing the look is the old stark white vertical blinds you need a soft material like roman shades in a linen or woven fabric

And the bedding - get a comforter cover in a neutral shade what you have there is a comforter insert its like having a pillow without a pillow cover

Theres a trick get a duvet insert that is 1 size larger than your bed and duvet cover it will add that volume that your bed is lacking to look more like the magazines

• Hayley Haskin
    Författare
    9 dagar sedan

Thank you all so much!! This is all such incredible advice. You’ve give me the path forward I needed to hear. I especially found useful how well you articulated for me what it is that WORKS so well about the inspo pic - it’s a two tone room, pops of color and texture. I am going to start with the window treatment first, since we all agree the blinds are horrendous. I am also going to take the advice of pulling in hints of the “greige” in my lamps and headboard by getting a blanket at end of bed to tie that together and add some interest to the bed. Love the hack of a larger comforter to give the bed the volume it is lacking, and loved the comment that the duvet is giving dorm vibes LOL, 100% agree. Once I see how the window treatment and greige accents are doing, I’ll use that to make a better decision about what night stands I want to upgrade too… right now, I would be too worried I’d get night stands that clash with whatever direction I’m going.

• la_la Girl
    9 dagar sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 dagar sedan

i love a ceiling fan so in the past i have removed the light kit and spray painted the blades white to help it ”disappear” into the ceiling - it’s an easy and low cost (my favorite type of project lol) if you’re interested — a hugger style fan would be even more low key but more costly

• freedomplace1
    9 dagar sedan

Just change out the fan. You said you are planning to do that and imo it will make a huge difference.

From a Feng Shui perspective, I would also suggest adding more drapery panels, so you can pull the drapes closed across the window, when you are sleeping. You could use the same drapes that you have - or bring in a couple of panels in a pattern or color or complementary white.

The inspiration pics that you show are taken with a ton of artificial lighting. They are professional shots. NOT taken in daylight, “natural light”, etc.

Various whites go together. There is nothing wrong with your whites. Really. Life is too short.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 dagar sedan

What do you see here? You see tone on tone and t.e.x.t.u.r.e. Shine, and smooth...bumpy and not. Pale and white and warmer.

First, yank the vertical blinds back to the sides, and take a daylight picture. Add two more panels..

A FLAT TAN COTTON sheet or pillow cases is not a thing you want.

What the heck is this lump?: ) No......

A linen sham looks like this

You need two.......and a duvet cover to match

A down comforter or even an hypo comforter needs a cover. It's not a bedspread to be yanked up as such. Get it to match the linen parchment shams above

put the filler in, and fold it back in half, or thirds

https://www.thecompanystore.com/comfort-wash-soft-linen-duvet-cover/50548D.html?dwvar_50548D_color=SHADOW%20BLUE&dwvar_50548D_Comforter_T_CK=TTXL&cgid=man-topofbed-type-duvetcovers

Put bright white underneath that duvet that is now folded back......the best? No wrinkles, washes beautifully, lovely texture... Garnet hill

Now you need an accent....., right? A lumbar pillow! Watch the discount stores! saw some great ones yesterday

toss a toasty throw on the bed.

Lamps..... not what you have.....: ) Go to a Home Sense....

Ditch the clunky side tables.....example

https://www.raymourflanigan.com/outlet/accents-clearance/ryandale-accent-table-374024400?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GSH_PLA_Direct+Ship&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_qexBhCoARIsAFgBletXafkwNKxLa2qoDnVcuAqx4GF0r3-18tChmwvpY6ATfZ2y8uCRdHMaAgJIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

As to the window....get two more panels, obliterate the vertical blinds...

Look back at the inspos.....fo you see a dark fan? Nope. You see a light: )

Take your time....and know that when you see an inspo? You look and ask.....exactly WHAT do I see?

• Maureen
    9 dagar sedan

Maybe prioritize your list, as it pretty well captures what can be improved upon (other than the wall color, which I think is fine).

Start with impact/at the least cost.

Priority: You will be amazed how a well appointed bed will change the room and reference its look/feel moving forward, especially your window treatment (suggest a black rod, and woven shades, given the feel of your inspiration pictures).

First step: pour over inspiration rooms on Houzz, Pinterest, and Instagram. Save the ones you love that have components you are drawn to and decisions will be much easier - you have a good base so it shouldn’t be hard and take your time.

• Boxerpal
    9 dagar sedan

I agree nothing wrong with your whites, you are layering your whites and that is not easy but you are on your way. Focus on the window and add brighter light via bulbs to those lamps. Maybe a light fixture above that can dim instead of the fan. Lots of fantastic ideas above. I notice that your inspir photo has a plant, think about a plant even an herb in a small white pot. The white doesn't have to match. I also see that you have a wicker table or dresser on the left side. This is good, it adds texture that you could repeat in a basket. Maybe even in a shade.

I might add: Take a deep breath, you are doing great! The room is coming together just needs a little tweaking. And having a fresh set of eyes can help make that happen. Don't rush it on the night stands or ceiling fixture. Peruse garage sales, FB market place, Estate sales, and even friends getting rid of their furniture.

Night stand ideas... Similar to your Inspiration photo

Strategy Nightstand · Mer info

Other ideas..

Ikea $99

Bedroom 3 · Mer info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    9 dagar sedan

Ceiling fans are great in bedrooms. So, will suggest that you replace your existing fan with a more updated one.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 dagar sedan

Get a duvet cover in a color you like maybe even a print .

• doods
    9 dagar sedan

I like your tone on tone, see what Paul F did, adds a lot to room, maybe all you need.

• Kendrah
    9 dagar sedan

How often do you open the blind the behind the bed? Daily, never? If never, I'd add more curtain panels to fill in the gap in the middle and cover the window entirely.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.