knollet

Uninviting, dark living room

Violetta
9 år sedan
Our 12’ x 17’ living room does not feel cozy or inviting. All we do is walk through it. There are 3 entrances to the room:

Picture 1--From back hall (busiest entrance to room)
Picture 2—From kitchen (next busiest entrance)
Picture 3--From foyer, least busy entrance
Picture 4—From foyer looking toward back of house

The walls are yellow (not greenish as they appear in these pix). With the red furniture, the room has a nice glow at night, but only when the stove is on in winter. In the daytime, the room looks dreary and dark, despite the all the light my camera picked up.

Pic #2 probably shows the darkness best.

I removed the dark green drapes. What window treatments should I use? Windows are 72 x 37”
Please suggest a better furniture arrangement?
I’d love to get a small sectional but is the room too small?
My husband thinks we have too much furniture crammed in.
What’s wrong? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Kommentarer (32)

• hayleydaniels
    9 år sedan
    My living room is 13 x 16" so they're almost the same square footage.

The first thing that strikes me as making the room seem smaller is the fact that your couch is in the middle of the room. This size of a room just isn't big enough to have a walkway behind it. I don't see any need to have it there just because of that entryway--people can walk in front of it to get to the other side of the room.

Put up some curtains of some sort on that back wall to soften it.
    Violetta thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    sarah Roth
    9 år sedan
    get couches that r called a pillow couch
    Violetta thanked sarah Roth
  • PRO
    sarah Roth
    9 år sedan
    get quotes pillows
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    it doesn't work because everything is allover the place. all the furniture is of a different color and non of it matches with your walls. you also have 3 table lamps that are totally different. trow on your sofa looks really bad. if u wanna cover it - u probably need a new one.

can u include a picture of the back wall with big painting
    Violetta thanked User
  • PRO
    sarah Roth
    9 år sedan
    email me so i can help u more at saraleahrox@gmail.com free
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    In the past I've had the couch on the back wall but moved it up to the fireplace thinking that would cozy it up. Guess I cluttered it up--

I've checked prices on slipcovering v. new couch and they are about the same. So might get a new one. If I pull the couch back to the wall, what do you recommend I do with the chairs?

Hayleydaniels, many thanks for your straightforward advice. What do you recommend for curtains? Are horizontal blinds out of style?
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    S&A, thank you. It helps to have an outside voice say it's a hodgepodge. I thought it was a charming assemblage!

The large painting (59" x 59") on the wall is a portrait of my husband & I that I'm moving to our bedroom. The wall is 9'4" x 7'7" high.

Does that help?
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Sarah Roth, what are pillow couches? If they are those big overstuffed ones, wouldn't they be too big for a small room?
    Thanks.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan
    Here's my analysis. The piano may be electric so exterior wall placement may not have a negative effect. However, the way it protrudes into both windows is unattractive and it needs to be moved. I'd put it on the yellow wall in pic #4 if it will fit there. Place your sofa perpendicular to the FP with its back to the windows. Move the two wing chairs to face the FP, making an "L" with the sofa. Replace all your tables and lamps with properly scaled ones, not matching tables though.Probably on pair of matched lamps plus a floor lamp. Here's a chart to help with that. If the piano is too large for that wall, then put it on the wall opposite the FP and arrange the two wing chairs opposite the sofa. Consider painting the FP brick to match the white trim, and do paint the brass trim on the FP with heat proof black paint. I think you might want to look at a new area rug to replace the lifeless brown one that isn't keeping up with your color scheme.
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Deco enthusiast, this is really helpful & doable. Why do you suggest painting the fireplace white? Is the brick dated?

Can you suggest a rug that ties everything together and that is dog proof?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 år sedan
    I think she means a sofa that has room for a couple of pillows but that being said I think your sofa is a finestyle in this room but I agree in this size room there is no walkway space. First if you want the room to feel inviting you have to open it up so it invites people in, get rid of all the little bits and get a plant that is thriving or get rid of the one you have. Drapes are a must in this space not blinds to warm it up. I think I would put the sofa on the window wall and then you could pull it into the room a bit the piano on the wall with the large painting and the chairs are what I would want matching, sitting with a table between them facing the sofa The tiffany type lamp on that table and 2 end tables at the ends of the sofa with 2 lamps that match(I like the glass base one) The rug is lovely so when looking at chairs try to find a color in there to use, my opinion is in a small spce keep pattern to a minimum or it just gets too busy.Paint the walls a nice neutral. I would suggest some linen or faux silk drapes hung at the ceiling on a nice rod make sure they are full enough to be able to close in the evening. If you have the sofa sitting at the edge of the carpt and the chairs the same you should be able to put a coffee table in fron of the sofs just not too large. And then a nice painting to replace the one you are moving. This style of chair would be nice.
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks, Patricia. Will you all give me comments on the pix?

#1 From back hall
    #2 From foyer
    #3 From foyer
    #4 From kitchen

Will probably replace rug--guidance on color and size? Our Yorkie is hard on rugs so need to keep that in mind. Walls will remain yellow for now. Might be able to find a matching lamp to glass bottom one at Marshall's, that's where mine came from.

I can find new tables. My slag lamp was my great-grandmother's and I want to incorporate it.

For windows, a whitish, creamiest color for drapes?

I can breathe in here already--
  • tabelle70
    9 år sedan
    Wow, so much better already! You're on the right track! Rug needs to move away from fireplace a little and more centered with couch
    Violetta thanked tabelle70
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 år sedan
    Move the rug and it looks so much better
    Violetta thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Artajul
    9 år sedan
    What a transformation. I would also consider changing/removing the pre-war lamp & table. It doesnt seem to be working with the rest of the room. Whenever you have the budget for it a new rug might also give this room a further push to look roomier as well as livelier. Something that will bring the colors of the room together & complete the modern/post-war/retro look. Whichever direction you choose....See some options we have to offer below !
    Violetta thanked Artajul
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Tabelle & Patricia, the rug is 5 x 7ish. Is there an ideal size for this room?
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks, Artajul; aren't the designs you attached a little busy for my room? Or as I replace furniture, should I have a busy rug pattern with less pattern on the furniture?

I'd been leaning toward something neutral with a subtle pattern, like those large, understated "Greek key" or "lattice" designs.

What does everyone think?
  • apple_pie_order
    9 år sedan
    If no one sits here, it's because the (implied) other living space is more comfortable. What is the difference between the two rooms? More comfortable seating? Better lighting for reading? Big tv? Near the kitchen/great room combination?

If it were my room, I'd buy two recliners, replace the table lamps (take the keepsakes elsewhere), and change the rug to a clearer Oriental rug (not muddy brown colors). I would also paint the yellow walls with a more golden yellow paint to coordinate with the floor better. Check the paint formulas with the paint store: the paint should have red pigment in it as well as yellow. Add curtains that pull completely off the windows.

To get in the habit of spending time there, bring a tray of cheese and crackers or mixed appetizers there every night for three weeks. Bribery is an effective means of changing habits.
    Violetta thanked apple_pie_order
  • tabelle70
    9 år sedan
    At least the front legs of all furniture should be able to sit on a rug. So, yours would look better if you moved it into the room a little more and away from the hearth. Then the other chair legs can fit on it too.
  • tabelle70
    9 år sedan
    Looking at it again I think it is smallish. I don't know that all of the legs can fit on it....in that case maybe an 8x10 would be better proportioned
  • lisask12
    9 år sedan
    The second set of photos show a huge improvement in layout. Much more functional and eye-pleasing. You have some nice pieces - I especially like the chairs. I agree that a new rug would tie things together better and that the placement should be more central relative to the furniture. You might consider simple window coverings in this room.
    Violetta thanked lisask12
  • abbyjean
    9 år sedan
    I bet you can breathe.......the changes you have made are just perfect! It must feel like a whole new room in your home now.
    Violetta thanked abbyjean
  • happyleg
    9 år sedan
    Move couch to wall in pic#4 or opp., the fp. If piano is opp., of fp then move chest under picture with the lamp. You will have light when entering room handy.
    Violetta thanked happyleg
  • happyleg
    9 år sedan
    I like the changes.
    Violetta thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Artajul
    9 år sedan
    I agree you something too busy might not be right for you - especially with the patterned chair. the 1st & last designs are actually pretty spread out for the size you'd go for - 6X9 ...... & here's more
    Some Things Strange, Medium 3.6'x5' · Mer info

Geometric Art Pattern Dhurry Rug Indoor/Outdoor, 9"x11", Wake Up · Mer info
    Violetta thanked Artajul
  • PRO
    Smart Energy Today, Inc.™
    9 år sedan
    Take a natural lighting approach. Add skylights or skylight tubes. More light will allow you to appreciate any redesigns of the living furniture including replacing the old furniture with new brighter furniture. Smart Energy Today sells all kinds of skylights and skylight tubes. http://www.smartenergytoday.net/smart-light-series/
    Violetta thanked Smart Energy Today, Inc.™
  • hambirg
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    The changes look much better. I would suggest switching the chairs and the couch. The chairs look like they take up more floor space and I think it would give the room a better flow to have them by the windows and the smaller sofa where the chairs are now. I would also move that small bookcase in the corner to the wall behind where the chairs are currently and move the artwork on that wall slightly lower. Something to try if you want to keep the slag lamp (and I would want to keep it too) is putting it on the piano. It may not be as functional for reading music, but I think it would look nice with the piano.

ETA- I feel like there needs to be a piece of white painted furniture in this room. I'm not a fan of the glass end table between the chairs. Maybe consider replacing it with a white painted piece.
    Violetta thanked hambirg
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    decoenthusiast, thanks for point out the fireplace. I agree, it is creates a huge dark hole in the room. In the winter, we need it to help heat; summers I've tried different things like a plant on top or a piece of art on the hearth and leaned against it.

Re the 12" distance for the rug, that will work because cleaning out the pellet stove is a dirty job! I have a small mat I put done for that purpose. I don't know if anyone out there has a great idea for disguising their pellet stove vac; it needs to be nearby yet is so, so ugly.

Also, we don't have a TV in this room on purpose. I feel TVs take over the atmosphere on the first floor, so people watch it in our finished basement.
  • Violetta
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    hambirg, good idea about the bookcase and the slag lamp. Will try both.
  • Houzz-ID: 676363412
    3 år sedan

The wall where you see the white cubboards, I would make a wall with no entry way if possible, and put the couch there. would open the whole thing up.

• happyleg
    3 år sedan

Are you looking to paint the Room O white color that's for low light and move that piano to that small wall cause it needs an inside wall

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.