what is the ideal spec of stairs? height and width of stairs? Thanks

velazegui
12 år sedan
Stairs · Mer info

Kommentarer (13)

• PRO
    Artistic Stairs Ltd.
    12 år sedan
    Agreed that 42" wide stairs is a good width and is pretty common. If you want a more deluxe feel, go up to 48". Be aware though, certain building codes about railing requirements for wider stairs.

Riser height is comfortable at around 7.5". Some prefer a lower rise as mentioned above.

Totally agree with the above, an 11" tread depth is great.
  • velazegui
    Författare
    12 år sedan
    Thank you so much for the advise..
  • PRO
    J Anthony Design
    9 år sedan
    7 / 11...the perfect stair. But 6 for landscape I agree with. And even though typically 36" wide is the minimum, go with 42" or 48" if you have the room. The handrail takes up around 2" on either side.
  • PRO
    Summit Stairs & Millwork
    9 år sedan
    7" rise and 11" run is what you are using on any commercial type stair such as in a mall. It is commercial code commonly referred to as a 7/11 stair. Most stairs are limited by the size of the foyer. The foyer is considered to be wasted living space therefore many builders overlook the stairs. Stairs should be viewed as a permanent piece of furniture in your home. If your stairs are in your foyer then that is where a guest will get his overall impression of the rest of your house. If you have a beautiful entry into your home, the rest of the home will most likely be viewed as quality. If it is just hohum and kinda blah looking then that is how the rest of your home may be viewed.

A 42" wide stair is common. In my world, the wider the better. Just think of having to carry heavy large furniture upstairs especially if you have to lift it above the railings.
  • peterjonster
    8 år sedan

7/11" feels a little steep in the landscape, but 6/12" is generally considered the perfect landscape ratio.

• PRO
    Stair Design / Iron Design
    8 år sedan

There is no right or wrong for how wide the stair is... 36" is the min, if you go wider than 60" you should think about a rail on the 2 sides, As far as rise and runs on a stair.... there is a simple formula that works to create a "comfortable" walking stair, it is...

Rise + Rise+ Run = 26" this takes in account for a normal walking stride so if your risers are only 5" tall you need to have a 16" run tread to accommodate a normal stride

Most risers are around 7.5" and that's why most treads are 10.5-11"

hope this helps

• PRO
    VILLAS construction
    7 år sedan
    guide me
  • cesarel
    7 år sedan
    quick question guys, if i have a straight stair and the tread is 11.9" (30cm) how tall they should be? is it ok at 7.9" (20cm) i dont want to put them too high because i have small dogs. Please advice. cheers!
  • cesarel
    7 år sedan
    here they are...
  • PRO
    Stair Design / Iron Design
    7 år sedan

you would use a "Comfort formula" Run + Rise + Rise = 24" - 26"

so if your tread run = 11.9" ( is that with the nosing?) then your risers should be 7" tall,

The way I explain this is that most people walk up and down stairs in what I call "cruise control " we don't really think about where we are stepping it just a natural step for most people if you move away from the formula that I laid out you will feel like you are tripping or have to stutter step to adjust for the stair..

hope this helps

Jim

• Amen Omorogbe
    7 år sedan

I am contemplating a 6 inches rise and 14 inches run for a new construction. Will this be comfortable?

• maurerruth39
    6 år sedan

is 7/10 acceptable garage to house? I don't want to take up too much garage space

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.