hzdeleted_48449

what do I put here instead of the desk?

User
9 år sedan
I have a small great room and can't seem to figure out the space beside the kitchen and the living room. Workable space is 10'L & 6'w. There's 59" between the penninsula & the curtain. The EAT sign & curtain are staying. The desk, 47"w, 29"h, 32"d, is going away. I tried a 72" bookcase-but neither the desk or bookcase look right. What should I put here? I need storage or an elevated place where the cats can feed without climbing on the kitchen counter (yuck). Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kommentarer (34)

• abbyjean
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Would you ever be able to find, or maybe paint, a small white buffet bottom? It would be appropriate for this space, the right height and provide a bit of storage, I believe.
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    what is a buffet botton? Is it a short dresser?
  • abbyjean
    9 år sedan
    You know, it really is like a short dresser and wow! That would be perfect there, too!
  • abbyjean
    9 år sedan
    Sometimes there is a hutch on top of a buffet that comes off of it. I thought if you could find just the bottom, that might work, but I like the dresser idea a lot.
  • amyfamyf
    9 år sedan
    How about a nice cork board or chalkboard for you work space.
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    maybe I should change the curtain length? The length of the curtain kinda prevents furniture placemnet in front of the curtain which makes the rest of the wall useless. Maybe a roman shade-lined? But...the extra curtain width is to help with glare hitting the tv screen on the opposite wall. Would one of those window films from Lowes or Home Depot help with the glare? Or, am I trying to place too much furniture in a straight line there? I'm so lost about what to do.
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Love the blue 3/4 hutch idea. Sorry, can't move the EAT sign (although loved your cat comment :) The EAT sign fills-in the awkward blank beside the kitchen cabinet & above the penninsula extension.
  • Maureen
    9 år sedan
    I don't think the curtains are a problem or not being able to move the sign. If you go onto Houzz products and enter hutch or chests, you'll see lots of ideas. Perahps a black one would be nice and you can add a small round antique looking black metal mirror above.[houzz=
    Jayson Cabinet, Black · Mer info
    ]; [houzz=
    Oasis Architecture - work in Montclair and Upper Montclair NJ · Mer info
    ]
    User thanked Maureen
  • bschr
    9 år sedan
    What's wrong with leaving the wall empty? Then there would be space for another chair at the counter. Or are you looking for additional storage.
    User thanked bschr
  • Julia Kenney
    9 år sedan
    What about a tall bookcase that you can keep cute barware or cute dishware!
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Hmmm, adding a small collage to the EAT might work. I really DO like the blue hutch. It's a little taller than a small dresser but shorter than a regular china cabinet. What dimensions would something like that be...36"w?, 28"w?, My backsplash is 51"h. Should I go higher or shorter than that?
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I need storage. Without something there it would look like a 10'x6' wide corridor to the back door
  • maventreehugger
    9 år sedan
    Like the blue small buffet or dresser idea! Maybe hang a mirror above it with a wide frame
    frame in similar but darker blue from the curtains. Shorten the curtains (leave 4 or 5 inches hanging below the window frame) and run a 1 1/2' ribbon across the bottom or 4' above the bottom that is the same color as the WALL,
    I would put the cat food to the left of the buffet on the floor under the counter. It would be semi hidden.
  • Maureen
    9 år sedan
    Lizo, see my revised entry above. If you click on the link, the chest's dimensions should be listed. I wouldn't worry about the height too much, it's more to do with how it suits the space. If too high, it will be hard for the cats to reach. I assume you have a dog also, as I have the same problem in that he would eat it before my cat.
    User thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    9 år sedan
    Find a country style china hutch in a white...maybe even a distressed white. Open or glassed cabinet up top and storage down below. Is there a place to feed the cats in the kitchen around the corner to the left out of sight ? My cats make a mess when eating and I wouldnt want all that mess out in the family room.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Craigslist find, Annie Sloan chalk paint, vintage art:
  • greenyogini
    9 år sedan
    My first thought was that nothing was needed to fill the space, but then I saw that you're looking for a cat feeding station, and I thought of these ideas. You could turn a dresser or hutch into a feeding and elevated sleeping station for the kitties. Or you could hack a bookshelf in a similar way, while adding some climbing space for them.

I've also seen open floating shelves attached directly to the wall at intervals that allow kitties to climb. That could be a fun space for the cats, but you'd want to keep them closer to the window to discourage climbing onto the counters (and instead looking out at the birds!).
  • greenyogini
    9 år sedan
    Also, this is my favorite company for modern cat furniture, and they have an elevated, wall mounted feeder (that I think would be even better if it were adapted to fold up or down when not in use):

http://www.squarecathabitat.com/index.php/chow-meow.html
  • User
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thxs Maureen. I think the blue color, antique, primitive thing is the key. It adds a touch of whimsy. There's a primitives antique shop near where I live. I'll try there first. Much appreciate your suggestions. It points me in the right direction.
  • beachlily
    9 år sedan
    I like greenyogini ideas.....you can find a small dresser or chest or night stand....remove one of the bottom drawers and place cat bowls in it....top drawers can hold food!!
  • Maureen
    9 år sedan
    Good luck and let us know what you find!
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    You don't need anything in the spot where the desk is now. It looks very crowded--just remove the desk. The curtains are not causing any problems with that space.

Some more shots of the room would help--including one with the desk moved.
  • PRO
    TAB ASSOCIATES INC
    9 år sedan
    I would put a tall, white armoire there, full width and as tall as the kitchen cabinets. The doors can fold back so you can feed the cats inside. Have it built to match the kitchen cabinets for a consistent look.
  • PRO
    Brandi Fitzgerald
    9 år sedan
    I'd remove everything from that space so there is ample room at the counter top. Place the fur kids bowls on the floor below the space and put a cool cat print, vertical panorama if you will, there. Hints of red to accent the EAT sign and hints of blue to tie in the curtains. I just made this for you as an example...:) Best of Luck!
  • PRO
    Brandi Fitzgerald
    9 år sedan
    All great ideas here and I am new to Houzz so I am really looking forward to learning more from all of you creatives and help those of you in need of a new way to think of something!
  • D J
    9 år sedan
    I would add a tree...
  • Denis
    9 år sedan
    Have you thought of utilizing the wall space that is front left on your picture? A dresser or desk or whatever by the window just looks crowded.
  • PRO
    Home Solutions Of Florida & Green Engineering
    8 år sedan

I suggest that you can put over the wall a nice wood or metal wine storage rack long enough that can store about 8 to 10 bottles.

• Lila
    8 år sedan

I would leave the space bare. And I wouldn't move the Eat sign. It's the perfect size to fill in the space above the counter.

• PRO
    Andrew Joseph Designs, Allied ASID
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I would add a tall white or reclaimed wood secretary cabinet. This will allow you to have dual functions with this cabinet. 1. You can still have an office to work. 2. You will have plenty of storage. 3. You can use one of your bar stools as your seat and when you are not using the computer you can close it up and hide the clutter and place the bar stool back under the counter top. Also keep in mind you can find a secretary cabinet with closed door storage above no glass. Hope this helps you .

• raineycarole
    8 år sedan
    Old post
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    8 år sedan
    Can you post your room from other angles too?
    User thanked Staged for Perfection
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    8 år sedan

Remove the desk, find a long, tall narrow piece of bold art - make a statement with that.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.