browners1974

Advice please on new driveway for Edwardian country property.

browners1974
9 år sedan
It would be great to hear opinions on which Is the most appropriate type of driveway for a large semi detached (country) Edwardian property. We need to re design and lay a new driveway as the large landscaped front garden does not provide enough parking space and driveway width. Any advice?? Many thanks

Kommentarer (9)

• PRO
    Southpoint
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    You may be surprised to learn that you will need planning permission if you want to lay a driveway in an impermeable surface such as tarmac or block paving.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

Your choice will depend on your budget and the materials of the house (which you do not describe). My preference would be brick or concrete block paving. If you make this permeable the build-up can be substantial as there is a thick layer of granular material needed. The alternative is to drain the run-off into a swale (a shallow depression where it can gradually percolate into the soil) or other method of disposing of the water on site. I recommend a neural colour so the driveway fades into the landscape rather than stands out. This manufacturer offers a good range:

http://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/driveways
    browners1974 thanked Southpoint
  • browners1974
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Many thanks for the reply. My preference was for gravel as this provides a more rural look but would prefer some type of bonded gravel perhaps to avoid too much movement. Budget is flexible to allow for design and relaying existing driveway and extend onto existing front garden creating a large driveway, with a section of front garden to remain. Property is white rendering 'rough cast' finish which is typical of the period. I will take a look at the site you suggest. Thanks
  • PRO
    Southpoint
    9 år sedan
    You can get a permeable resin bonded gravel which gives the look of gravel but is nore stable. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but a google search should find you something. Good luck with the project.
    browners1974 thanked Southpoint
  • browners1974
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you for your reply.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 år sedan
    Totally beautiful setting !!!!!!
    browners1974 thanked OnePlan
  • Irene Hogan
    9 år sedan
    There are other forms of permeable pavements you could employ. Grass/concrete would give your driveway a look similar to the adjacent lawns.
    Plastic geocells will allow you use unbounded gravel or infill with topsoil and grassed (depending on type) to give the grassed lawn look while providing a firm driveway for light traffic.
    browners1974 thanked Irene Hogan
  • browners1974
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Many thanks for all above replies. All very helpful.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations Hinckley & Market H'Boro.
    9 år sedan
    Hi

We also have an Edwardian property ( see picture ) and have a gravel driveway which we think suits the property and easy to maintain.

Any questions please get in touch.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.