edubya

POLL: Double or Single Oven?

Emily H
9 år sedan
Which do you have? Does it meet your needs?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Kommentarer (149)

• kwischhusen
    9 år sedan
    I don't know how people manage with just one oven, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas! I definitely will always have two ovens in my kitchen!
  • boyersuz
    9 år sedan
    to petieshappyplace- backsplash is by Encore Ceramics-their Vecchio collection. the company was founded by a California couple in their garage. Eco friendly production if that's important to you-wasn't to me but I thought Id add that. in any event, their products are beautiful, check them out on their website. its all handmade as well.
  • Bruce Crawford
    9 år sedan
    To BoyerSuz, I like the backsplash, too, and am about a month from doing one. Thanks for the information.
  • PRO
    The garland team
    9 år sedan
    I like two singles built in under counter. I am shirt and risk burns using upper ovens. Plus our new kitchen has great views so we put big windows over the counters instead of blocking with appliances and cabinets.
  • petieshappyplace
    9 år sedan
    boyersuz, thank you so much. I truly appreciate you sharing this information with me. I have been looking for the right design and your's is just what I had in mind. Infact my builder has been waiting for me to select something and thanks to you I can order this or close to it. I am going to check website out as soon as I close from you. Again, I truly appreciate you answering my question concerning this. I too recommend double wall ovens, just not Electrolux.
  • petieshappyplace
    9 år sedan
    boyersuz, BTW, could you e-mail me a picture? If yes, I will put my e-mail information here for you to E me.
  • boyersuz
    9 år sedan
    petieshappyplace, there a few good photos on Clark Renovations website in their kitchen portfolio.
  • Bruce Crawford
    9 år sedan
    BoyerSuz, I went to Clark's website. Good lookin' renos. They look like they stole my CKD's playbook. They use lots of tile w/ wide grout beads. We've been in our house 38 yrs. and one of our 1st diy's was to r/r K linoleum tile w/ porcelain which has wide grout bead. We're going to re-tile but the K will have rectified tiles to allow narrow grout beads and where there's risk of liquid spillage on floor, we're using grout w/ built-in sealant. It's expensive, but at 69 y.o., my wife and I aren't into kneeling down to scrub grout. BTW, my best friend from college, Tom Prince, used to build spec homes in Bethel Park area.
  • Sandy
    9 år sedan
    I have a range with a double oven--full size lower and a small oven on top. The small oven even toasts. Works great for our small family.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    I have a single oven in my kitchen but I have an In-law type area downstairs and I use that oven for large dinners and holidays.
    I would always want a second oven.
  • jillybeansisme
    9 år sedan
    In my new kitchen I have a 36" Capital Precision Ruby Red Gas Convection range with 4 burners that go from 145 btu to 19000 btu, a 12" wide grill, the oven holds 6 half-sheet cookie pans, and has a rotisserrie. I also have a table top electric convection toaster/oven for when I just want a potato or small casserole. Oh, and a microwave on the counter near the eating area. I do not like over the stove microwaves because because because because because . . .a ton of reasons! Anyway, I do a lot of baking and it is what I wanted for that purpose. I'm moving in just a few weeks (seems like an eternity) and can't wait to set up my new kitchen!
  • mbt110
    8 år sedan

I have a double wall oven and separate microwave and wouldn't choose this configuration if designing my own kitchen. I'd choose a convection microwave and single oven.

• tealou
    8 år sedan

Helenjoh, what kind of slide in range did you put in your island? Type (gas etc) and brand? Also does it stick up over the counter height? We are thinking of doing something similar in our kitchen remodel. Thanks,

• User
    8 år sedan
    I have GE cafe stove with convection oven. It also has a warming drawer on the bottom which I use when I entertain. I don't have room in my kitchen for a double oven so this warming drawer is fantastic. It can heat as high as 400 degrees so I've cooked in it too.
  • User
    8 år sedan
    Double ovens...but if I remodel at any time, I will seek a different configuration...one smaller oven good for cookies, pizzas, side dishes, etc... And one large oven big enough for a turkey.

It seems to me that would be more versatile and energy-efficient.
  • jmr1969
    8 år sedan

If your last name is Stewart or Dean than a dbl oven is a must. My mother made 10 different kinds of cookies and up to six dozen if each kind at Christmas and she did it with a single oven she should have a dbl. I often ask how many times a month would you use both ovens? If you have to think about it to long I would recommend a single and a convection micro so you still have a second oven when you need it.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

double. one for the turkey one for everything else. being able to easily host thanksgiving or christmas is the biggest reason to have a nice kitchen, for me.

• Momof5x
    8 år sedan

I would dearly love to have a double oven ( high) as above -easier on my back! But I have a large cooker and large oven, however, bending is not good for my back. So, wish I had a oven like above!

• David Cavanaugh
    8 år sedan

I had double ovens for many years. They were great for holidays; otherwise they sat unused 99% of the time

• mszoom
    8 år sedan

i just bought a range but a single oven is all i could afford ... and this will most likely will be the last range i'll buy ... how i wish it could have been a double. dream on!

• Eileen Spall
    8 år sedan
    Of the hundreds of decisions in my new home, this is my biggest regret. The Bosch double oven is so noisy, I have been told this is common for all wall ovens now, but I hate it. The fan runs a good 15 minutes after the oven stops, just long enough to annoy us through our meal. We use the oven a lot, so the noise is a big issue. Also, the oven is not as "hot" as my prior gas ranges. If I check my food, the oven temperature takes much longer to return to target, and the browning is sub par. The touch pad control can be temperamental, especially the timer, requiring repeat trials to set. The biggest pro is much easier access to the food, reaching in and out without bending over is a breeze. We do use the second oven a lot more than we thought we would, whereas our prior range's second oven was so small it was virtually useless. Another pro is unobstructed access to the ovens and separate range top when both my husband and I are cooking. We absolutely LOVE the Thermador gas range top, it is powerful, simmer is perfect, and it easy to clean, highly recommend it. But overall, I heavily regret not having gone with a 36" gas range. The noise is awful.
  • Bruce Crawford
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

momleen, in our K reno, we had planned to get a GE Profile single wall oven w/ their wi-fi control (wife was tele-commuter, & would have been great to monitor/control from her desk) but when I had a chance to score a Wolf for ~55% of regular price, we went w/ that. One can hear the fans, but they are not so loud as to be obtrusive. They also run after the oven is turned off to cool it down. Haven't noticed a temp problem after checking food. The broiler isn't as hot as the one in our old gas Kenmore range, which was a GE & at time, top-rated by Consumer Reports. No problems w/ touch pad. Totally agree on easier access to food w/ wall oven. It's across from the end of our island, so easy to prep food there, turn & load oven, and to rest there after cooking.

• Nina Clarke
    8 år sedan
    I have a single oven but bought a microwave/convection oven which does the job for celebration cooking.
  • jerimcclure
    8 år sedan

would like to see the poll results of the pole who has single/double but wants double/single.

• drrisk
    8 år sedan

We recently purchased a five-burner Electrolux induction range with a convection oven and a warming drawer. We also have a KitchenAid convection microwave over the range. We entertain quite often and are never lacking for cooking space. A second oven would be about 99% redundant.

• PRO
    Carolina Moncion Design
    8 år sedan

I have the double convection oven unit. I love it and it certainly does meet my needs during gatherings, especially during the holidays. I couldn't do without it!

• drrisk
    8 år sedan

That is not an oven I am familiar with. Who is the manufacturer?

• PRO
    Morrone Interiors
    8 år sedan

Double, more versatile and visual appeal :)

• Karen C
    8 år sedan

If you don't do double wall ovens, you should at least do a range. Having two ovens in a kitchen is so helpful. Do pay attention to the size of the ovens. A 36" range will give you a nice wide oven, but not so tall. A 30" wall oven will give you more height in the oven, but not as wide for putting cookie sheets next to each other. A 27" wall oven will fit in smaller places, but limit your capacity (which could be fine if you had a larger oven elsewhere).

• Hannah Rivera
    8 år sedan
    I love my double wall oven
  • Donna Bercovitch
    8 år sedan
    I have one wall oven with microwave on top. And have the induction slide in oven on the other side love both and use them all the time.
  • snapclick66
    6 år sedan

Giving up my double ovens and cooktop in my kitchen remodel due to opening a wall. Have purchased the Samsung flex-duo slide-in range and instead of a microwave above it, I've chosen to hide an exhaust vent behind cabinetry. Purchased the Bosch drawer microwave for installation in the island. I entertain a lot so was nervous about giving up the double ovens however I did not want my new kitchen to be appliances everywhere. Will post a comment after the remodel and my first dinner party to share how it goes.

• Bruce Crawford
    6 år sedan

Snapclick66, before we did our K reno, we had a pull-out vent hood over the range. We got that b/c I'm tall & got tired of banging my head on the original fixed one. Our pull-out had front panel to match range but they can also have wooden ones to match surrounding cabinetry.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 år sedan

We currently have a single, but I would love to upgrade to a double!

• User
    6 år sedan

I have an old freestanding range. I dislike wall ovens because I'm short and can't reach in without burning my arms.

• bouncy5
    6 år sedan
    I'm happy with my single oven.
  • PRO
    GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
    6 år sedan

Definitely a double! I love the wall units because they take up less horizontal space . Not to mention, you can bake your turkey and pie for Thanksgiving at the same time on different temps. WIN!

• PRO
    Kitchen Ideas, LLC
    6 år sedan

I vote double, especially if you see yourself needing to bake two things at once. Many of our customers opt for both a convection oven and convection steam oven.

• pstein15
    6 år sedan

Something not brought up.

Have had a standard GE double oven range going on six years. A lot of pluses, and have only used the bottom oven once. Used for storage only. Although working fine, we will be going back to a single oven. The issue is cleaning. On the new true convection ovens, there are no elements under the racks, making cleaning easy. On dual ovens, there are heating elements under the racks, on the top oven. In most, only the bottom oven is convection. Samsung has a Duoflex, two convection ovens. However, only the bottom oven is true convection. The top oven has a fan in the back, but elements under the rack. That is not a true convection oven. That appears to be the difference between true convection ovens and rear fan only. We will miss the convenience of the double oven, and the storage, as we use the bottom oven for storage in our condo.

• CJ Walsh
    6 år sedan

i need a double oven badly. if you can get one and you have use for it DO IT!!! lol

• J O
    6 år sedan

I always seem to want a product that doesn't exist. I would love a double oven if the second oven was substantially smaller than the main oven. I rarely run out of oven space except on the occasional holiday and a second smaller unit would do the trick in most instances. On the other hand, I often find myself reluctant to waste the energy it takes to heat up a full sized oven just to cook a couple of potatoes and would be more likely to do so if I had a second smaller oven instead of a microwave. I seem to be the only consumer who would be interested in a product like this.

• jalarse
    6 år sedan
    J O, if you don’t mind having the ovens under the cooktop rather than two wall ovens, lots of free standing ranges come with a large and a small oven. I have a 48” WOLF range with a 30” oven and an 18” oven. I use the 18” oven far more often than the 30”. Heats up in twice the time as the 30”. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

J O, we have 36" Wolf tabletop w/ 30" single wall oven & convection microwave. My wife uses the latter a lot in both modes as we're empty nesters. Another option is have the second wall oven be a 27" model. These have a lot smaller interior volume than 30" models b/c the wall thickness for insulation is the same for both.

• pstein15
    6 år sedan

I have become aware of a major issue with most double ovens. Only the bottom oven has worthwhile convection. The top ovens are very difficult to clean. Look at the coils in both. In a true convection, the coils are not at the bottom, and the oven is easy to clean. The upper oven has coils under the food and cleaning is difficult. We were going to buy a new oven, as we only use the top oven, and my wife hates the cleaning issue. Turns out, the new ovens are the same way. Don’t know about end stoves such as Wolff. Most single ovens are convection. With double ovens, assuming you are a top oven user, you are paying for a convection oven , but not using it. How about putting the true convection in the upper oven.

• J O
    6 år sedan

Thanks Jalarse and Bruce Crawford but ideally I'd like a setup like the many wall oven/microwave combinations that are available, with the exception that the microwave be a regular oven as well. A double oven where the top oven is perhaps just a little larger than a standard microwave. I'd be willing to bet that with this setup most people would use the smaller oven more often than the larger one. How often do you actually fill a regular sized oven to capacity versus how often would a smaller oven be just about right? A smaller second oven would probably be ideal in most situations but Americans typically aren't wired to think 'smaller'.

• Dustin Chimento
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Recently bought a new house. The option to add a double oven was an extra 2200 dollars (level 5 upgrade) on top of the level 4 upgrade we chose (built in range burner with fancy hood along with built in single oven and microwave).

Used the 2200 dollars we saved to instead purchase high end outdoor smoker; plus a grill; plus a large fry kit (to fry turkeys and what not); and still had a few extra hundred bucks to put towards other small upgrades.

Everyone told us we need to get the double ovens, and I do cook extremely often, but I have never had a double oven in any house that I have ever lived in, and still successfully pulled off holidays and get togethers without any issues.

I certainly would not say no to a double oven, but to me the overall cost was simply not worth it and I was able to instead purchase various other "toys" thus I ended up with a variety of cooking supplies rather than simply another replicate of something I already have (oven).

• latoran
    2 år sedan

30” single convection oven and 27” convection microwave oven, both Bosch

• btydrvn
    2 år sedan

We rarely use our regular oven…for most days a toaster oven and microwave..both installed at eye level…cover all our cooking needs…love that they can be easily replaced…as our kitchen oven is a pain to clean and requires bending low to check or even lift 🤷🏼‍♀️heavy pans and baking dishes ..let alone to clean…

• PRO
    The garland team
    2 år sedan

I am short and d-able ovens are hard for me to use the upper oven. We built our house and had two single ovens installed below the counter with a microwave drawer between them and a cooktop over the microwave. I bake often and have big family dinners a lot so use all of the appliances often.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.