edubya

Quintessential Regional Design Accents?

Emily H
9 år sedan
Is there a decorative element or style that just says you live in your region? Something much more commonplace or even exclusive to where you are?

Tell us about it! (Photos highly encouraged)

Freehab · Mer info

Kommentarer (18)

• czangardi
    9 år sedan
    I live in Virginia. I would say the screened porch is the hallmark of a southern home. The porch protects you from the summer sun and ever present mosquitoes, and lets you sit/dine/nap outside much of the year. In our community of custom houses, we have learned to recognize "come here" houses simply by the building of a deck over a porch. Decks are simply not as user friendly.
  • Kim Allman
    9 år sedan
    In terms of decorative elements, SC is all about the palmetto moon. Lawn rocks to beverage coasters to cornhole boards, mailboxes... If it can be painted, etched, embroidered, engraved, or screen-printed,, somebody will have it. (I've only lived here 12 years &haven't quite incubated that long yet.)
  • retsina
    9 år sedan
    Those gaudy room walls viewable from the kitchen completely detract from the aesthetics. It's choppy, there is no design flow. Amateurish.

Judging from the local homes (Ohio) for sale listings on Zillow, the majority of homeowners have no sense of design or decorating skills. Most of them lean towards the colorblind category, their major downfall was purchasing or building a home that they could not afford to heat, furnish and maintain simultaneously. That is what appears to me to be the 'regional' element here.
  • diyer59
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Having lived near oceans twice, I love the beach and that's reflected in my decor. After spending several months collecting just the right shells, I sat down one day and spent hours crafting a huge 3-D shell wreath--it's absolutely beautiful! I've gotten many complements on my handiwork. Other touches include a painting of a woman on a beach, the colors in that painting reflect the colors in my home: light sand, deep blue, light blue, coral, tan. A cobalt blue dish holds my much-loved collection of sea glass I gathered on a trip along Oregon/CA. coasts.

I now live on a lake with full lake view, but I still make believe it's the ocean! Would like to spend my retirement near the ocean again, nothing like it.
  • PRO
    Cleveland Designs
    9 år sedan
    I follow the house design, if its Modern, I go Modern, if it's Traditional I follow an up dated version of that. I tend to love browns and greens. But its your home so do what you love, I just would be careful with the trends of the moment, as whatever you do, will be out in a short period of time, and then your home and furniture is dated. I do tend to play it safe, unless you have the money to go out and buy new furniture and change your kitchen and baths because you want to be hip and current. You can still do a good job of decorating and just buy the smaller new thing or color that is trending this year.
  • PRO
    Alix Flamm Designs
    9 år sedan
    I live in California, and I have relatives that live back East. As a designer I do see design related to where you live. People who live by the coast tend to like lighter more Coastal colors such a blues, greens, and sandy neutrals. I was just in Napa Valley and you see a more Modern rustic vibe incorporating reclaimed wood flooring mixing with furniture with neutral colors and clean lines. The Architecture of the home is the first thing you should consider when designing. However, within the style you can mix pieces to create an interesting look. Like adding a contemporary light fixture to a traditional space.
  • makaloco
    9 år sedan
    In my region of Mexico, people paint their home exteriors colorfully or in white with brightly colored trim. Many businesses do likewise. We have orange hardware stores, blue doctor's offices, tangerine and red or yellow and green mini-marts, a purple muffler shop, even a lavender hospital with magenta trim.
  • blrussell
    9 år sedan
    Moved to TN four years ago....lots of "fine brick" homes and fences.
  • clyon
    9 år sedan
    Vermont means mudroom!
  • janroze
    9 år sedan
    MINNESOTA land of snowy winters and gray days and cold over half the year. It calls for tan, gray or white homes with a brightly painted front doors.
    Many residents continue to stay with warm colors and texturre, the warmth of carpet, overstuffed upholstered pieces, warm tapestries, prints and warm looking brass metals in spite of what all the magazines etc. try to tell us what is "in." Posh on what is in, give me welcoming, warm, comfy and cheery any day. A few go so far as log cabins, hunting trophies, duck, loon, ski and snow shoe accessories. The farthest I go in this direction is large dark wood beams in our family room. I goes from that to beach decor by all our lakes.
    Of course, residents travel a great deal and bring back decor ideas and accessories from all over the world.
  • nasmijati
    9 år sedan
    In New Mexico at this time of year, one strings ripe red chiles into a ristra ("rees' trah"). The ristras are hung outdoors in the open air or along a sunny adobe wall to dry. A ristra hanging by the door is considered to be a sign of hospitality, just as a pineapple is a sign of hospitality throughout the South and parts of the eastern seaboard of the US.

http://newmexicophotography.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/ristrashands.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/29/fb/b4/29fbb435a3e582fef0821080a084074a.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3873/14838216451_e1bf2575d7_m.jpg

http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2008-11/IMG_1420-ristra.jpg

http://rdougwicker.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/img_2692.jpg
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Cornhole board?????
  • nasmijati
    9 år sedan
    @bluenan. I had never heard of a cornhole board. I had to look it up. (Apparently they are commonly seen in Ohio and states in the Midwest.)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole
  • Kim Allman
    9 år sedan
    You haven't tailgated a college game unless you've brought along your team-themed cornhole set... Welcome to the south :)
  • beverlynn
    9 år sedan
    My style is transitional; it has worked well in the three states where I've lived. I have a front porch which represents being in the South (NC) I suppose. I'm a Michigan native, so having a beautifully framed photo of the Mackinac Bridge is important to me. I also have a beautiful watercolor of a fall mountain; my dad grew up at the base of the mountain here in NC. It doesn't necessarily represent the region, for me it's representative of my heritage.
  • Marly
    9 år sedan
    West Virginia = front porches!
  • trusty44
    9 år sedan
    Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC.
    Car port and wide overhangs on roof. I have beachy colours, sand, blues, greens; driftwood, shells, rock collections with bright pops of colour for those gray, rainy months.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.