mamabear03

What do I do for lighting kitchen island with open floor plan?

mamabear03
9 år sedan
senast redigerad:9 år sedan
My husband only likes lighting with some kind of shade or frosted glass to reduce glare. So, we both like these first two chandelier styles, but we don't know how to choose lighting for the kitchen island (it's 7 ft x 4 ft) that goes with something like these first two pictures. Lowe's had this third picture of a "kitchen island light" so is that my best option? Or do I go with individual pendants of some kind? I don't know how to choose something that "goes" and these don't come in a collection of chandeliers with matching pendants. We have bright white cabinets and oil rubbed bronze finishes.

Kommentarer (15)

• mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I forgot to mention, but the shades of the chandeliers have some sort of wispy pattern in them, while the "kitchen island light" does not have this. Does it matter?
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Also, should there be can lights over the ends of the island as well? Right now there are cans just lining the counters. Or is this one fixture in the middle of our island enough? The island is 7ft x 4ft. Here's a pic of the kitchen footprint...
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år sedan
    Agree with Pamela - matchy-matchy is not always the best option. Maybe our blog post on kitchen island lighting will help answer a few questions about sizing/spacing:

https://www.whispardesign.com/Home-Decor-Blog/2_kitchen-island-pendants
    mamabear03 thanked Whispar Design
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    That was helpful, Whispar Design. It seems like no one uses "kitchen island fixtures" like I linked in my original post. Do most people go with single/group of three pendants? I am having a hard time finding places to shop online for these and finding things I like or that go with the chandelier style my husband likes.

And does it matter if the chandelier white bell shade thing (sorry I don't know the name of this piece) has a pattern on one and not the other fixture?
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Here's another thing... Should the shades be a bright white (like I showed in my original post) since my cabs are bright white and my counters black? Or does it look good (or better?) to do a more yellow/brown shade like this pic?...
  • PRO
    Lightkulture
    9 år sedan
    Visit the brand Access on our website www.lightkulture.com look for Phoebe 50441 LED
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år sedan
    Actually they do use fixtures similar to the triple diffuser you posted - nothing wrong with that at all. in fact, we can't keep the farmhouse below in stock.
    Farmhouse 44" Light Fixture · Mer info

Regarding the shades, I believe it is personal preference and you will get opinions both ways. Part of the light is from the type of bulb (cool vs. warm) and part is the shade. Personally, I like a contrast against the white cabinets but the bronze finish also helps with this.

I do understand the glare issue - it is again personal preference. Depending on the style you are going for, you could also choose a fabric shade to further diffuse the light or a solid canopy to block it all together. The point is you do have options (which can sometimes be overwhelming) We have access to over 10,000 fixture but do not put them all online for that very reason but if we can help, let us know.

Lilliana Chandelier · Mer info

Henninger Chandelier · Mer info
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I like these you listed. My hubs prefers the semi-opaque shades. I wasn't sure whether to stick to white or brownish and I also wasn't sure about the island one-piece fixture. THANK YOU so much for your EXPERT advice. I need back-up that I'm making reasonable choices. I don't know where to shop online for budget-friendly options either.
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Also, what if the chandelier is black and the kitchen island is oil rubbed bronze? Should they be the same finish? We are doing ORB finishes for drawer pulls and kitchen sink faucet I think.
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Whispar Design, when shopping online for these island fixtures, I am seeing different lengths. How long should mine be if my island is seven feet long? Your blog post talked about individual pendants.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år sedan
    Generally speaking , you want to give approx 12-16" on each end so in your case, the max width I would go for is 60" but that depends on the fixture and how "heavy" the visual weight it. I would probably stay in the 40"-50" range.

Also, black will be fine with orb IMO.

As far as budget friendly options - if there is something we carry let us know and see what we can work out on price ti help out if we can.
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    THANKS! The one I posted in the original post is only 37 inches long. Will that be too short then? We have vaulted ceilings also in case that matters.

P.S. I'm shopping your website. SOOO lovely!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hite, Realtor, Huntington Properties, LLC.
    9 år sedan
    I agree with mamabear03! I love the individual hanging lamps. If you don't love that idea than the Lowes shade is a great option as well.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år sedan
    That will give you about 2 feet on either end - it's at the low end for scale purposed but I think 37" is still do-able. Because you are on a budget, who isn't these days :) , unless you already have outlets for pendants, the expense of adding them could be costly depending on ceiling access (unless you have some DIY skills) A single-outlet fixture is perfectly fine
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.