mamabear03

How tall should my baseboards be in my new build?

mamabear03
9 år sedan
My builder gave me a couple choices of baseboard heights to choose from. I can't remember the exact demensions but the "medium" was about 4 1/2 inch high and the "tall" was about 5 3/4" high. I picked the tall ones but now I'm worried I made the wrong choice since my ceilings are only 8 feet tall. Should I go down to "medium"?

Kommentarer (19)

• btydrvn
    9 år sedan
    I always like taller baseboards..would even add a little extra detail because it lends a feel of quality to your home...
    mamabear03 thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 år sedan
    I don't like tall baseboards in a 8' ceiling space so I would go the 4.5 " ones.
    mamabear03 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • feeny
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I love tall baseboards. Older houses often had very generous baseboards that were in proportion to their wide trim, but baseboard styles and trim in general got smaller and thinner as the price of wood became more of an issue in the 1930's and 40's. So you might think about the proportions of the baseboards in relation to the other trim in your new house, rather than to the ceiling height.
    mamabear03 thanked feeny
  • PRO
    Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
    9 år sedan
    My short answer would be the 5 3/4 for an 8' ceiling; the longer answer would suggest that you need to take into account the size of the casings and any crowns before selecting your baseboard. How wide are your casings ? And what is the size of any crowns ?
    mamabear03 thanked Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
  • Ann
    9 år sedan
    I wish I would have done the taller baseboard upgrade in our house when it was a new build.
    mamabear03 thanked Ann
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I don't have the dimensions of door trim/casings or the crowns above my kitchen cabs or built-in bookcases but they are average height I'm sure. We have looked at the door trim but not discussed crowns yet. Due to the positioning on the vaulted ceilings they'll probably have to be average though.. We do have vaulted ceiling in our open floor plan (kitchen, dining and living) but our bedrooms are only 8 foot ceilings. What should I do?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 år sedan
    What style is your house? In a more contemporary style, I probably would choose the smaller…conversely, traditional home I would choose bigger.
    Lobby · Mer info

Globus Builder · Mer info
    mamabear03 thanked JudyG Designs
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Style is Traditional, slightly casual traditional, whatever that would be.
  • PRO
    Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
    9 år sedan
    Traditional house with eight foot ceilings i would recommend the 5 3/4 baseboard, a 4 1/2 wide casing with a minimum depth of at least 5/4. Hard to say about crown in the vaulted spaces, and I don't know if you are crowning bedrooms. If so, I like a one piece crown with a projection of about 3 1/2". If you get the chance buy the book Get Your House Right - its' a great resource.
    mamabear03 thanked Classic Connecticut Homes LLC
  • donnaing
    9 år sedan
    I would go with the taller ones.
    mamabear03 thanked donnaing
  • mamabear03
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    We only plan to have crown topping the kitchen cabs and above the built-in shelving flanking the fireplace. Too late for the book, but good to know if I am ever brave enough to try this again! :)
  • tammra2
    9 år sedan
    Taller ones for sure !
    mamabear03 thanked tammra2
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 år sedan
    Tall is good...don't worry! good choice
    mamabear03 thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • John Hero
    5 år sedan

Need some guidance. I have 10' ceilings with 7" - 3 piece crown throughout the house. I have added 7" base board (including base cap) in all other rooms. In the kitchen, I have beadboard wainscoting that is about 32" in height with a cap on top. I'm planning to rip out the 2-5/8" base casing that is currently there and keep the wainscoting as is. How tall should my new baseboard be? I'm concerned about covering up too much of the wainscoting surface. Any advice?

• User
    5 år sedan
    We are currently slated to have taller in our build but are considering slightly smaller. It seems the trend for modern is moving toward smaller.
  • Cathy Steele
    5 år sedan

Would appreciate input on baseboard height for a very small 750sf home. Removing baseboards to install wood-look vinyl flooring. Will 1x6 baseboards be too much for such small spaces?

• btydrvn
    5 år sedan
    I always think smaller baseboards feel like you are skimping...taller baseboards done by stacking a more detailed board on top of a simple one add a detail that looks richer and adds a quality look to your home....
  • Cathy Steele
    5 år sedan

Thank you!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.