nonnahs70

A THORN IN MY SIDE!!! Need help with arrangment.

nonnahs70
9 år sedan
OK, I would love to rearrange my living room. What do you think of this?? Could I put the larger sofa where the love seat is and the love seat where the TV is...Form an L. (eventually get a sectional if I like the arrangement) Put the TV between the windows (of course need a new stand). Use the current TV stand as a hutch on the wall behind where the large sofa is now. Need Ideas and advice. Would like some curtains too, but don't know where to go with all this?? Anyone want to volunteer some ideas?? I would really appreciate any help. I would even be up for a total makeover, paint and all!!! This living room has been a thorn in my side for 3 years!!! HELP!!!

Kommentarer (69)

• elkeelisabeth
    9 år sedan
    If you replace your sofa, consider that you have less flexibility with a sectional. Also, we have 2 sofas and are always cutting through the middle where a corner of a sectional would be. The other alternative is a sofa with a chaise longe attached (like an attached ottoman), it keeps the room open and still allows the comfort of spreading out.
  • PRO
    Maria Malo Interiors ,CID, LLC
    9 år sedan
    firstly, change the wall colors...try Benjamin Moore cedar key and consider wall paper, perhaps on one wall, (geographic print)the wall you place your tv. your sofas if you are not changing, you need to bring in closer toward the tv. you definitely need window treatments. I will reexamine your photos and will write more. I wish I could visit!
    nonnahs70 thanked Maria Malo Interiors ,CID, LLC
  • PRO
    9 år sedan
    also, if you put graphic wall paper you can go graphic area rug. for window treatments, go with bamboo Roman shades with drapes. make sure your rods are much higher than the window, closer to the ceiling, makes ceilings look higher. I would do a sectional but make sure the sofa backs stay put, not to many pillows. coffee table should have metallic details, glass no wood! Your art should be big and eye level. try big canvas with color! try per 1 imports. I don't know your budget but I could go on, and on! :-)
  • PRO
    9 år sedan
    also, you can definitely go bigger and taller on your tv stand...it's too short and too small for that wall.
  • matahai
    9 år sedan
    I'd like to add a bit more about choosing art. If this is something you have the interest/patience to do: there are many art shows where you can purchase terrific original art, already framed, and priced very modestly. Art leagues, art organizations etc have periodic member shows with receptions that are open to the public. i've seen beautiful art where the price is less than the value of the frame alone. Why is it so cheap? Because the artist, although talented and skillful, is not a household name. Or, if you admire the art of a particular artist, or artists, who ARE household names, [ or semi-household names] you can go on-line to a reputable company and order a high-quality reproduction [also known as a giclee]. Choose ones that are described as" art print", rather than "poster". They also give an array of options/ideas for framing, which of course ups the price. But, on the plus-side, it's one-stop shopping and you get exactly what you want.
    nonnahs70 thanked matahai
  • diyer59
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    My first thought is you need a coffee table and possibly a rug under it with warm colors. The room is dark with white blinds on the sliding glass door, that doesn't work together. I'd put in a few big plants, bring in color on the dark couches (a beautiful throw, pillows, etc.) and artwork.
    nonnahs70 thanked diyer59
  • Jenny Edison
    9 år sedan
    I have been trying to rearrange my living room as well so I know how challenging it can be and my only 2 cents here would be to not put the tv between the windows...the lighting would be horrible for viewing!
    nonnahs70 thanked Jenny Edison
  • Gretchen Maurer
    9 år sedan
    Right now your traffic flow is stopped and it forces people to walk behind the sofa...which is not inviting. This room can go in many arrangements. It simply does not have enough layers of personality. All of these idea are great but you need to find out who you are before you know what you like. The pieces are too far apart so intimacy is lacking.

Ok.... so I went onto your ideas book page. You have some more homework to do....lol go back to your photos and leave specific comments or remove photos you are not sure of. Make a few idea books such as: rooms i love: like the brown bed room-wonderful... but why do you love it? Make another one about color and write why you like the color, what is the feeling that room gives. Make another one on lay outs that feel right to you. Design is not just about right or wrong as much as it is about cause and effect. Research lighting- decor-sofas etc....from the shopping pages of houzz...and put all these into different design idea books.....collect-collect-collect images--it is all free right?...Then a "you" should emerge and choices will become emotional and meaningful and personal and easier......then your rooms and home will be inviting, warm and personal...........Good luck!!
    nonnahs70 thanked Gretchen Maurer
  • Stephanie Tsapoitis
    9 år sedan
    ^^ When it comes to the space planning, there are most definitely right and wrong ways to do it. The reason her room isn't working so much about the decor rather the layout of her furniture.
    nonnahs70 thanked Stephanie Tsapoitis
  • pattyroseg
    9 år sedan
    I think the loveseat should go against the window wall. Move the sofa to the right a little to allow the corner of the sofa and the corner of the loveseat to be a 90 degree corner.
    Your room will feel more open with the loveseat on the wall opposite of where it is now. Good luck
    nonnahs70 thanked pattyroseg
  • pattyroseg
    9 år sedan
    definitely add full length drapes to the windows, add a couple pieces of art work (try Home Goods). Maybe one between windows and then where you feel it would look best. Don't be afraid to try something large.
    nonnahs70 thanked pattyroseg
  • Deena Gubran
    9 år sedan
    Hi! Hope you are still arranging you room..
    I would suggest you move the larger sofa where the TV is now, move the love seat between the windows yet not too close to the wall, put the TV against the wall facing the big sofa.. That way you can still see so e tv while in the kitchen.. And where you have the big sofa now put a couple of chairs and a small table in between so you have an inviting space for conversations, and you are not blocking kitchen with a big piece.. Also adding art work, light fixtures, accent tables as well.. Enjoy..
    nonnahs70 thanked Deena Gubran
  • elisemeinecke
    9 år sedan
    Hello! I have an awkward living area also. When I added an area rug I found I was able to better define the space. I also use "moving men" sliders for moving the furniture around. Have fun with your space!
    nonnahs70 thanked elisemeinecke
  • druesig
    9 år sedan
    People always want the 'big, open floor plans' but then as with the placement of the furniture in this thread, they end up making boxes (rooms with low walls) with their furniture placement thus chopping up the big welcoming feeling they really want. IF I were entering this house, I would not feel welcomed. It is similar to the 'arms crossed in front of chest' in body language = STAY BACK; Stay away; Don't get too close. The mirror and table near the door could be moved to the blank wall behind the big sofa... The big sofa could be where the TV is currently and present a huge big hug when you enter the room... Let us know how you manage. Use paper drawings and imagination before actually moving the large furniture...
    nonnahs70 thanked druesig
  • Susan Salas
    9 år sedan
    I liked JudyG Designs' comment above, although I am just a regular person and not a designer. I had rearranged it in my mind before I read through the comments and came up with the same arrangement: sofa on the outer/window wall, love seat where the TV is and TV mounted on the wall with the white vent. Then, of course, add some throws and pillows in a color like yellow or a color that you love and can stand to have around for a few years; floor plants like snake plants or palms; a rug; maybe a faux hearth space heater? ; and then maybe a couple of chairs for conversation space between the living and dining to separate the spaces? The rug you buy can do that also, chevron patterns are popular right now and it can liven up the room and separate the space. and then, window treatments, by adding color and/or pattern to frame the windows. Fun! I hope you found a resolution. I recently rearranged my living room space by getting rid of a sectional and buying a very long, curved sofa that I have on an angle, kinda partially in the corner and out from the fire place. That minor adjustment, plus placing the coffee table/storage ottoman on the same angle, really opened up the room, but kept a warm yet dramatic effect? I would try a total rotation, and then smear it around a little bit, if you like that sort of thing.....
    nonnahs70 thanked Susan Salas
  • nonnahs70
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Hi All, I will rearrange this weekend, but my concern is....If I put the TV opposite of where is it now, on the wall with the vent, then if you are sitting on the couches you look down the hall or at the front door. Then you would be walking in front of the TV all the time....Sorry probably old school rules, "don't put TV in the walking path"...ha ha. Can you do a rug on the carpet, or am I on the "old school rules" again?? I wish I could just hire it out, but don't think that is a possibility. Thanks again for all of your ideas and time.
  • druesig
    9 år sedan
    Keep the sofa on the window side 3 or 4 feet from the window...you could then put some interest on the wall between the windows or in the windows (a palm tree or fig). Don't need to have every piece touch a wall; closer is more intimate and invites conversation in whispers without yelling!!! How many would walk in front of the TV when someone is watching it?? Certainly not when entertaining as people are chatting and moving about (not concentrating on a TV...) OR the chatters would be in the dining area 'bothering' the cook!!!
  • Susan Salas
    9 år sedan
    you raise really good, really obvious points. i have used rugs on carpets, it helps to preserve the carpet. But it is weird. Same with the TV and walking in front of it, especially by the front door, and especially if you have a couple kids who will do that often. There are only 2 ideal walls, so in front of a window is something to try, or on an off-center angle like in the corner between the window wall and its current wall and maybe put the loveseat nearer to the couch, arm to arm? then you could put an accent chair in that open space. Also, a coffee table would help, and curtains would, too. so, in spite of the otherwise odd suggestions before, you could still angle the room differently, add some color and visual dynamic, and make it more liveable without making it uncomfortable for you. Post pictures when you're done!
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    9 år sedan
    The sofa should be on the longest wall in the room. However, if you wish otto float in the room, perhaps add a sofa table to the back and consider moving the love seat to the opposite wall. You may also want to a add an oversized ottoman to anchor the two pieces together.
    nonnahs70 thanked Emerson Brothers Construction
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    nonnahs70, sorry, but I think your current arrangement is best. It might use a few tweaks, you could use some curtains and some pulling together, but the TV is the focal point, the seating is congruent with that, and no traffic crosses between people conversing or watching TV.

Putting the TV on the window wall will also throw the whole space off balance. Go ahead and try it, but I think your first instinct, the current furniture placement, is correct.
    nonnahs70 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Consider replacing at least one of the sofas with chairs--and lighter ones, no more brown leather--for a more open look. A bit of color, perhaps based on a piece of art, would help too.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år sedan
    Get a sectional. In a fabric. Go a dark gray add bold pillows to it. a L shape with a chaise on other end. Have the L run along wall with window. Float in round rm. A big round or square coffee table. Put a sofa table on back of sofa so looks better coming into room. Fill with plants books, and unique items. TJMax is great. Add roman shades to windows. A bv palms in big pots to bare corners. Instead of table with mirror by door. Add a tall 6 ft wide dark frame floor mirror to that wall lean on wall. A big screen would be more to scale for this room. Go 55" or bigger. Trust me it will look so much better. On roman shades. Try a print like black and white chevron.
    nonnahs70 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år sedan
    On back wall a big art, IKEA has a sky line that would work buy 2 different cities. Hang side by side low. Ten windows. 2 long almost as tall as windows. Approx 24" each no more than 3" between. Get something with color.
    nonnahs70 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 år sedan
    I would use the unit that you have under the TV as a sofa table behind the loveseat, moving the loveseat slightly into the room. This will give more of a division between dining and living spaces.

Place the sofa directly across from the loveseat, with a low table between them.

I would paint your walls a much lighter color, almost white, to brighten the space. My eye is drawn to the ceiling line, and not in a good way.

Hang the TV on the blank wall like a picture. No furniture unit tied to it.
    nonnahs70 thanked sstarr93
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    The dining area seems dark and crowded, and with the vaulted ceiling, I think you could use lighter walls. I would also lower the chandelier to within 36" of the table, move those plaques to the living room side, lower the TV, and lose the vertical blinds.
  • nonnahs70
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ok. I am back!! Number one. Original plan. Pretend the end tables are a tv stand??!!
  • nonnahs70
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Some of your advice.!!! Plan number two!!!! Need a larger sectional with an ottoman! Which one do you all like. Then with that in mind. Curtains and artwork thoughts??
  • nonnahs70
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I should clarify. The tv will be moved. Just no one to helpe take it off the wall right now
  • Carol Singletary
    9 år sedan
    I agree with Grover. Your original placement works best, with the minor tweaks she suggested. If the TV is between the windows, wouldn't you always be closing the drapes to prevent glare in the eyes? The other arrangement seems too spaced out for comfortable conversation.
    nonnahs70 thanked Carol Singletary
  • Nila Helmig
    9 år sedan
    It's a large space, so I wouldn't flush all the furniture up against the wall; instead, bring things closer together and add brighter walls and a touch of bright color to the accent pieces. Curtains would help, too.
    nonnahs70 thanked Nila Helmig
  • User
    9 år sedan
    I like your original furniture plan. Agree with Nila-don't place all your furniture against the wall. You have a large room, but you could make it feel more cozy by bringing the furniture closer together and floating it in the room. Bring your sofas closer together so that they meet and place a round table between the two of them. Add a coffee table.
    nonnahs70 thanked User
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Plan number 2 puts traffic squarely between TV and viewers. It should be discarded immediately.

Plan 1 looks off balance to me. It might work better if the seating were moved away from the wall and centered on the TV. However, it looks like your TV will totally fill the space between the windows, and that's not going to look good.

Thus, I stand by my original judgment that plan 0, or plan O for Original, is best.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 år sedan
    i also stand my original ground, the tv SHOULD stay where it is. Im not sure why you would want to put every thing on walls really far apart, or crowed the entry way. The TV really works best where it is with the couch facing it, the love seat where it is and add one chair, and some decor. Your space is terribly empty right now. with out a coffee table, curtains or any art. You are doing your self an injustice lugging every thing around! you need to have a few more things before it will all make sense. start pretending the end tables are a coffee table.
    nonnahs70 thanked flair lighting
  • druesig
    9 år sedan
    IF you left the TV on the wall where it is OR place it at 45degrees to that wall, fill in with the furniture floated in the room at 45degrees to the wall (kind of a diamond with the love seat having the windows behind it and the 3 seater on the dining room side. A rug and coffee table between would do much for conversation and not be in any foot traffic path. The furniture doesn't have to be against a wall...
  • sujathaarun
    9 år sedan
    Suggest go with your original design ..good luck
    nonnahs70 thanked sujathaarun
  • Susan Salas
    9 år sedan
    as far as curtains and accessories, I like Bed Bath & Beyond because they have current colors and styles, good quality and you can use expired 20% off coupons!
    I would use a higher end curtain rod made of wood and mounted outside the window frames.
    it can be any color or patten that you like, and it will change the look of your room dramatically. make it a bolder color choice, though.
    I'm not sure why people are suggesting you keep the arrangement that has been driving you nuts for the past 3 years. I like your changes, but it could use tweaking to keep you happy, i.e., traffic flow and rugs on top of carpeting. It isn't permanent nor life/death, LOL... Once you have some color and a coffee table, it will be easier to find your happy place with your arrangement. Have fun!
  • Carol Atton
    9 år sedan
    I would get rid of the love seat and buy two sitting chairs - that will give you more options than you have now. The two chairs and a table between them would look good over by the windows and there will be a better flow between the dining and living room.
    nonnahs70 thanked Carol Atton
  • Mary Nigro
    9 år sedan
    I like the idea someone posted about making L with sofa and love seat. Keeping sofa and Tv as is and moving love seat on window wall. Then you could possible add two chairs opposite window wall. I actually quite like TV on the wall where it is.I think between windows would be crowded once drapes are added. I also think your original layout works with some tweeking get rid of table next to sofa so there is more flow around it,and use a coffee table .Bring sofa and love seat together in an L with a side table in between.
    nonnahs70 thanked Mary Nigro
  • Mary Nigro
    9 år sedan
    Also If you aren't comfortable using a computer program for lay out you could go old school like I do with some grid paper with your room drawn out to scale ,than make paper templates of your furniture you can move around easily till you get something you like. Might save your back!
  • nonnahs70
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Back again. After moving things around three times. I am back to the original plan! :(. However I pulled an ottoman I had out of another room just too see what it would be like. I know more brown leather. :(. Ha. I will be recovering it. Thinking an ikat print! Remove the side table from the long sofa and put in a floor lamp. Just need artwork and drapes. Thoughts?
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Yes, looks good. I still think you should move the love seat closer to the couch and place a round table in between them. It will be nicer to have the 2 sofas meet for conversational purposes. Maybe, you could try one of the end tables in between the 2 sofas instead of at the other end of the sofa.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Here are some pictures that may help
  • Mary Nigro
    9 år sedan
    Definitely the best, except your doggie can't look out the window. :) I recommend choosing drapes first ,than cover ottoman if you still feel you need to. I think it will be easier. Have you tried making L with love seat and sofa. Like you have it now just those two pieces closer together with table in between. It looks nice as it is ,just wondering.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    The end table needs to move to the other side of the sofa. Pull the loveseat close enough so it can use the end table as well. I think an ikat print on the ottoman will look great!
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    9 år sedan
    You need someday tables.
    nonnahs70 thanked Jarret Yoshida Design
  • abbyjean
    9 år sedan
    Guessing the furniture was placed this way to have the lamps near a wall to be plugged in?

Hard worker to keep moving things around, but I think by doing all those moves, you truly found out which one will work the best. Does it feel good to you like this?
    nonnahs70 thanked abbyjean
  • matahai
    9 år sedan
    I agree with the comments that encourage you to move the 2 sofas in, away from walls and closer together [touching] to form an L. I think before you buy window treatment, the basic seating arrangement has to feel more intimate than it presently does. The ottoman isn't large enough to make a difference and is also dark, like the sofas, so you need a contrast. The arrangement is still not cohesive: it needs the 2 elements of coffee table [not a dark wood one] and an area rug of a size that pulls the arrangement together.
    Please see my comment about art work-- you can get original, high quality artwork for the same or less than the mass produced pieces at Home Goods, Pier I etc. The frame should be wood or metal- not plastic, and be hung with eye-screws and picture wire rather than sawtooth hooks [ that generally come with the mass-produced stuff.] Pleasing artwork will give vitality and warmth to your room. Good luck to you.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 år sedan
    looking good, we are happy to see it back, yes to curtains, love the ottoman, wish it was a bit bigger. might be a good idea to move the love seat a little closer to the couch and let the length of the end table and love seat be centered to the open side rather than the love seat being do far away from the conversation area. adding an arm chair to the other side, and some art will be done!
  • bookofideas
    9 år sedan
    You have great ideas, do it. How about mounting the TV
  • sunnydrew
    9 år sedan
    What does your room like now?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.