daknits

Dining Room help -- paint and wall decor needed?

R S
9 år sedan
I need design help! I want my dining room to look "finished" -- should I paint the walls? If so, should I paint just the top, above the wainscoting? Color advice? Also, what would you add to the walls and where? Thanks for any advice!!

Kommentarer (30)

• R S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks! Would you add any art or mirrors? Here are some more pictures of the other walls...
  • PRO
    AS Design
    9 år sedan
    A mirror is a good idea. Try with this kind of mirror. A colorful rug is a need. You can also put family photos with different colored frames (white, oak wood, golden) on the other wall. Flowers on the other table like red tulips in a beautiful crystal vase. By the way, nice furniture! :)
    R S thanked AS Design
  • lucidos
    9 år sedan
    Love your chandelier and yes artwork and mirrors. A mirror on the far wall of the window would help bounce light. But as far as art - your rug will take you in a direction and your personal preferences will be reflected in that choice. Art is very personal. Some people lean toward reproductions of the old masters and some prefer the newer art or abstracts or landscapes/florals.

Some newer artists with amazing works I suggest looking into the following:

Fabian Perez
    Jose Royo
    Pino Daeni
    Andre Kohn
    R S thanked lucidos
  • Maria Perea
    9 år sedan
    Hi Rachel, I love your chandelier! Can I ask you where you purchased it?
    R S thanked Maria Perea
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Your chandelier is amazing, though a bit oversized. For that reason, I think you need big art. I would do a mirror over the sideboard to reflect the art on the other wall. Add a simple modern centerpiece.

If you do art with color, bring some of those colors around the room. Three different looks below: monochromatic, red art, and two pieces from the amazing Andre Kohn (thanks lucidos!).

I actually like the simplicity of the space without a rug.
  • HerrProfessorDoktor
    9 år sedan
    I would paint the walls above the wainscoting. I would go with a cool gray or beige. SW Silverpointe would look nice.
    R S thanked HerrProfessorDoktor
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    And to give credit where credit is due: http://www.andrekohn.com/PRINTS.html
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 år sedan
    Love the suggestions for art work don't think the little red candlesticks belong but a big red bowl on the sideboard would work and I think the mirror shoud be larger I don't love rugs in the DR they make moving chairs in and out a pain but I would like to see a hint of some other color on the wall and that you have to decide on after choosing some art work I like to take a color from the art that is the least amount in the piece and paint that colour it makes the art pop and adds just a touch of colour these pics are not the colors but give you the idea I am talking about and a touch of black always makes statement.
    R S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    In order to finish this room you need art on the walls as others have mentioned. You have a wonderful blank slate. If you like any of these look on etsy.com under "large original art".

There's a lot of schlock art but there are also some gems at very good prices. You won't believe how a nice painting will transform your room.
    R S thanked leelee
  • lucidos
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I think we all see things in different ways. You have made some great choices so far. You need to find something that allows you to move in a direction that appeals to you.
    R S thanked lucidos
  • R S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Wow, thank you all so much for offering up your design advice and for your compliments! I am reluctant to put a rug in the room because I think about spills and stains (I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old, and the floor usually has all the evidence from dinner!), but if I could find something relatively inexpensive, it would be OK.

Originally, I was thinking of Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter for the upper half of the walls, but didn't even think about choosing the art work and pulling a color from that -- that's a great idea and makes sense! The room is currently Dove White.

As for the mirror, I've attached a few pictures of some mirrors that I am considering -- am I on the right track? Or are they too boring?

It is so incredibly helpful to see the room with the added colors and items -- what software program are you all using? I would love to have a software program that would allow me to play around with the room -- and all of the other unfinished rooms in the house!

Thanks again!
  • Maureen
    9 år sedan
    I would select your first mirror (if works so well with your light), placed horizontally above console and perhaps temple glass jars on table. Move your dining table to the left, so light is centered. I would leave wall color as is...if you paint a deeper color, the bottom beadboard may end up looking too casual/country. I would add a large selection of prints on the long wall and keep your room looking neutral and elegant. Lastly, add a great centrepiece of various height candles perhaps mixed with mercury glass.
    [houzz=
    Gallery wall - grid of 9 squares · Mer info
    ];[houzz=
    Temple Glass Jar · Mer info
    ];[houzz=
    Glamour Home · Mer info
    ]
    R S thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 år sedan
    Personally, we hate rugs under tables but that's up to you.
    Definitely search out affordable art in our market place.
    We can customize any piece to your size specifications, even turn them into full murals.
    We love your muted palette. Keep it clean, contemporary.
    A couple of our clients are shown here at our last exhibit with our b/w line of pillows and art.
    Just add some art!
    R S thanked Decorative Philosophy
  • R S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you all so much for the incredible input! What about any of these for the wall?
    Also -- anyone who can tell me what photoshop/editor you are using to create rooms with your own pictures adding in objects, I would so appreciate it!
  • R S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I also like this black and silver more neutral color of the above print
  • PRO
    Sandra Iafrate Fine Art
    9 år sedan
    Hi Rachael, as an artist and art advisor, I think it is important to buy a piece you love, something that resonates with you. Colors and trends change over the years, but original artwork stays forever, especially if you bought it because it was meaningful to you. I wouldn't worry too much about the color as artwork can be framed to suit the room. Your first and original photo of the room is lovely, moving and quiet. And the chandelier is the 'star', so careful not to overshadow that. If that style flows with the rest of the house, I would keep this room consistent. Here's a few ideas
    R S thanked Sandra Iafrate Fine Art
  • mcbmd3
    9 år sedan
    I agree with groveraxle. Your chandelier is large and bold; therefore the art piece on the wall without the buffet should be large and bold to stand up to it. Agree that a mirror should be above the buffet piece. I see an unframed canvas. I like your room.
    R S thanked mcbmd3
  • R S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you -- you're right, that room is quiet, and I don't want to change that about it. I think the fussier it gets, the farther away I will get from the feel of the room.

Here are a few more simple mirrors, and the prints that are a little more "quiet" to me.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Hi, Rachel. I use Photoshop Elements to transform rooms.

Your art choices above work well if you want to keep a quiet look. I would suggest you look for art to fill a width about 3/4 the length of the table. Since the table is long, this probably means several prints hung in a row. Art in landscape (horizontal) format would have to be oversized to work. Two or three square framed prints, or three or four portrait (vertical) format prints would work.

I don't think your mirror needs to be quite so plain as those above.
    R S thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Some simple mirrors with a little more interest:
    Murray Feiss Mirror X-SUR5021RM · Mer info

Murray Feiss Tessuto Mirror X-LHGHM8911RM · Mer info

Ogden Mirror · Mer info
    R S thanked groveraxle
  • Lee Huddleston
    9 år sedan
    I love the light colors with the dark wood floor.
    The draperies are not really needed.
    Why not leave the shutters w/o draperies?
    But some dark accessories or a couple of large green plants would break up the monotone beige and white.
    R S thanked Lee Huddleston
  • stacey m
    9 år sedan
    oliver gal has some very cool prints that may go with the modern, not fussy look that you are going with. i find them a lot on gilt.com. or you could go with metal art - you can design your own and choose colors and size to fit exactly your requests for very affordable prices (Artfire).
    R S thanked stacey m
  • stacey m
    9 år sedan
    these did not show up --
    R S thanked stacey m
  • lucidos
    9 år sedan
    Rachel I use Gimp. It's free and basically Photoshop. It does have a bit of a learning curve.

I understand not wanting to use a rug. I'm on my 3rd dining rug in 6 years - Thanks to the pets and the food sneaking to the pets kidlet. Actually when my dogs get bones now they feel that chewing them in the dining room is the proper place. Gotta love classy beasts. Needless to say I purchase inexpensive rugs that I have no compunction on tossing.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    R S thanked lucidos
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    9 år sedan
    Beautiful Job! Painting above the wainscoting is a great idea, perhaps something in a "greige" which will marry the beige and steel tones in the room. Benjamin Moore has some great "greige" tones, like Revere Pewter.
    R S thanked Emerson Brothers Construction
  • Lynnie
    9 år sedan
    Love your space! Yes, I would paint the area above the wood. You can go with a dramatic gray or beige. Not too dark, a nice medium tone. (suggestions below)

A coupling of small mirrors would look wonderful. Along with that, a couple nice paintings and the whole room will liven up! :) The third picture shows a room with Shaker Beige which is so rich. It can go with gray or an off white very nicely. Notice the wainscotting is white.

Hudson Residence · Mer info

Canton · Mer info

Seeley Living Room A · Mer info
    R S thanked Lynnie
  • R S
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I thought I would update with pictures. I still have to paint though.
  • R S
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Another
  • PRO
    Palmpring Organic Coconut Mattress
    7 år sedan

You could add a couple more mirrors to make a sort of mirror cluster

R S thanked Palmpring Organic Coconut Mattress
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.