twinkie747

All-In-One Window/Door Trim!

twinkie747
9 år sedan
I added a keeping/sunroom to my kitchen.

My first and primary dilemma is trouble on how to hang window treatments given the “all-in-one” trim design around window and door frame. I’m thinking that if I hang chevron patterned curtains near ceiling above the trim (leaving door uncovered) it may look weird? OR do I use three panels and treat the door like a window with the third panel in the corner (to right of the door but may look unbalanced)? OR do I use a valence? OR none of the above? Note: I currently have wood blinds inside mounted to windows and outside mounted to the door, but I’m not opposed to changing.

Second dilemma is how should I arrange furniture in this small space? I currently have option of placing a TV on wall or in corner… but how should furniture be arranged? I’m thinking an apartment size sofa facing the wall but what do I put near the window? Perhaps a chair in the corner or two small chairs in front of window? Or perhaps a bench?

Kommentarer (16)

• karemore55
    9 år sedan
    Hi there, I love your red fridge! And, congratulations on your reno.

Your windows (including the door one)would look great with inside mounted roman shades. This way, the whole curtain rod issue is solved. Pottery Barn has so e wonderful prints and so,it's in various sizes - you might get lucky and be able to go with a stock shade that will fit.

I agree with mounting the TV on the wall. Then, a simple wall mounted shelf below it to house media boxes and remotes would take up minimal room.

Rather than a sofa, consider using two swivel gliders. Place a small round side table between them, and you now have a flexible space that can be used for TV viewing, conversation over a cup of coffee (or wine?), or for reading.

An unobtrusive library-style floor lamp placed in front of the right window, as close to the door as possible, will provide some light for reading.
    twinkie747 thanked karemore55
  • erinsean
    9 år sedan
    I think I would hang a small TV on the wall and put a love seat in front of the window. As for curtains....do you need privacy.....if not, then sheers. If you need privacy then I would hang drapes on just the window...rod on woodwork at top of window only. If needed a floor/table lamp in the corner by the loveseat. If you have componets for your TV, then put a console with shelves under the TV....would need to be longer than your TV is wide but not very deep so that you can pull out your stools.
    twinkie747 thanked erinsean
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Fantastic feedback! This door is our primary entry to house. We rarely use the front door. Ok... To be sure I understand... I'm thinking of a loveseat OR 2 swivel chairs in front of the window? I like that idea. Can I still mount tv on the left wall and perhaps place a small console underneath it? I know less furniture is better. I don't really need anything for components as I have directv and there is no box needed.
  • karemore55
    9 år sedan
    I guess it would help if we knew the exact dimensions of your space. Since we can't count the 3' passageway you need from the doorway to the rest of the house, I'm guessing you are working with 6 - 8' of width in front of the windows? And maybe 8' from the window wall to the kitchen? Also, do you need clearance for bar stools at the kitchen peninsula?
    twinkie747 thanked karemore55
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    9 år sedan
    I would also add the blinds and forget about the curtains. If you are interested in bringing in the chevron patter. I would do an accent wall either painting a chevron pattern. Frog tape has a chevron style tape, that works wonderfully. There are also several wonderful wallpapers sold at target in a chevron style pattern that you could use as well.
    twinkie747 thanked Emerson Brothers Construction
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ahh Yes... I have 89" to work with under the window (that's leaving a 3+ feet passageway). I have about 128 inches from window wall to the back of barstools (and that's still giving plenty clearance room to the barstools). The barstools swivel 360 degrees and can be used for viewing tv or conversation.
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Ok. I'm gonna scratch curtains and either leave wood blinds or an inside mounted shade. If I leave the blinds I can perhaps go with a chevron patterned rug too. I love the idea of chevron paint/wallpaper on that wall... but kinda bold ;) Working on courage!
  • karemore55
    9 år sedan
    OK, given your dimensions, maybe an apartment size sofa would be best. I like the idea of it floating in the room, with the back right at that 3' mark so as to delineated the passageway. It would make TV viewing easier, and if your bar stools swivel, you will have a nice orientation for conversation/entertaining.

I think I would avoid placing a console under the table, given your narrow dimensions. You would probably get more use out of a narrow coffee table in front of the sofa. The Kyra coffee table from Crate & Barrel, as well as the Tanner from Pottery Barn, are about 48" X 24"., which would be a good fit. Both have glass tops, so you could do a chevron pattern rug and be able to see it. Also, the glass top would make your space feel bigger.

Speaking of rugs - consider getting an indoor/outdoor rug for this area, if there will be lots of food and drink consumption. They are so much easier to care for, being washable. You should be able to find chevron patterns quite easily - check wayfair.com, overstock.com, rugsusa.com, etc
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ok! Tough but GREAT choices! I was initially thinking floating sofa as well to delineate the passageway but hubby felt it would close off area and make space feel smaller. He is fan of sofa under window. How about a small chaise sofa with the chaise part on right closest to door. That might give best of both worlds with delineation? Perhaps something like this but smaller?
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Smaller size from pottery barn. Color recommendations also appreciated! My current barstools are black. I'm thinking a camel yellow? Maybe white?
  • karemore55
    9 år sedan
    I agree that a sofa with chaise would be the best of both (yours and hubby's?) worlds.

And, yes, a honey or sand color? I keep eyeing that gorgeous red fridge, and somehow think a warm tan color would work better than a white slipcover.

I actually have two PB slipcovered sofas in honey, if I remember the name correctly. I alternate pillows on them often, and I can tell you that the color pretty much goes with everything!

I could see the honey color working with a gray chevron print rug. So, you would have black, gray, sand and red in this area. And, I'm sure you'd have no problem finding pillows that work with this scheme.
  • houseatthelake
    9 år sedan
    Like that small sectional Twinkie.
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you all SO much! What's cool about this PB sofa is that the chaise is reversible and can be positioned on either side!

Thanks for kudos on red fridge (my most fav part of the room for sure) so I thought I would send pic looking into the kitchen with matching red butler's pantry and exposed brick ;)

If interested here's blog from Erika Ward Interiors featuring my kitchen update before the expansion!
    http://www.blulabelbungalow.com/2013/04/before-and-after-kitchen-renovation.html
  • karemore55
    9 år sedan
    Oh my! Erika Ward is one talented cookie! Twinkie, your home is just fabulous! I just know from looking at this kitchen that a warm and friendly family lives here. I hope you enjoy your new space for many years to come!
  • twinkie747
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks so much Karemore! I'm so appreciative of the feedback! I've been really perplexed on how to best complete this room but the tips and advice you guys have provided gives me a needed boost of confidence. Moving onward!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.