natalie_williams9710729

Small living room

Natalie Williams
9 år sedan
I have a very small living room (only 3 walls) that's the first thing u see when u enter the house. Not sure if I should get a sectional to please my hubby or go with a 2 piece sofa

Kommentarer (52)

• Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    It's hard to please a husband that wants a huge sectional, in a very small 100ft living room
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I'll find a photo for you, hold on! What's the size of your room?
  • Relaterade diskussioner

Våra barn skall dela rum hur gör vi?

Q

Kommentarer (5)
    En våningssäng funkar alltid! Om de vill ha separata lekytor kan man alltid sätta upp en skiljevägg? Jag gjorde en sökning på "shared kids room" på houzz och dessa alternativ kom upp (en hel del bra ideer): http://www.houzz.se/photos/query/shared-kids-room/nqrwns Man kan ju alternativt sätta upp någon sorts draperi bredvid varje säng som en "sänghimmel" för att dela av rummen ytterligare. Tycker bilden nedan är söt även om draperierna just här inte används för att skilja av. Detta alternativet maximerar ytan
    ... Se mer

suggestions for my living room

Q

Kommentarer (2)
    Hi Francesca! Nice place you got. I suggest you create a conversation corner, with two smaller sofas facing each other, or one sofa and two chairs. You can also change position of the sofa to back on to the cupboards if you don't need to face a TV. And then just go for it with colorful rugs, cushions and art! Please post when you have started, look forward to seeing the transformation!
    ... Se mer

Före & Efter: Avtagbar tapet ändrar ett rum

Q

Kommentarer (0)
    Jag experimenterade nyligen med avtagbar tapet (ja det är rätt) för att uppdatera vår nedre lounge / entré. Har läst igenom blockposten för alla tips och tricks :-) Blog Post: Hur gör man med avtagbar tapet? Apartment Therapy Feature: Before and After: This Basement Living Room Was Lacking a Wow Factor Före Efter:
    ... Se mer

Small Scandinavian Living Room

Q

Kommentarer (0)
    It's easy to make your room feel bigger with the right furnitures.
    ... Se mer
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år sedan
    You could get one that is wider on one side which will be very roomy and takes up less wall space... I'm not sure what your left wall measures, however.
    Taylor Sectional Sofa · Mer info
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank u, will look into apartment size
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Just Say No to Sectionals Society, here, trying to save you from yourself and hubby. If you get a sectional, you will never be able to reconfigure the room. And do not buy a sofa set, please. It will look like a furniture showroom. Go for a comfy couch and two chairs that match each other, but not the couch.

More pictures will help us help you arrange furniture in the space. Will there be a TV? How does traffic flow? These things need to be taken into consideration before you buy any furniture.
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    9 år sedan
    The sectional is a great idea; however, I would keep it neat with clean lines and arms. Otherwise it might overwhelm the space if you select rolled arms and back pillow cushions.
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Tv will be on the wall.. What u see is the space.. I can't get 2 chairs cause I have a 12 yr old n he want us all to be comfortable in the living room..
  • glschisler
    9 år sedan
    I agree with Groveraxle. A sofa & a couple of chairs. We even bought an apartment/condo size recliner as one of our chairs. A 3 cushion sofa should also work for you. (83 in.) just measure & tape out your space of where you want your furniture to go. You can find the needed sizes. Good luck!
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Only have 3 walls can't do 3 sofas :-(
  • kp7250
    9 år sedan
    1 sofa with 3 cushions ;-)
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    A sofa and two chairs will be your most versatile option, allowing you to change the furniture arrangement in a number of ways. In a room this size, it's important to choose everything together, to measure carefully and even tape stuff out on the floor to see how it will fit because there is no room for error.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    If you really want a sectional, check out the Jane bi-sectional which has a chaise that can be reversed. At least that way, you won't get stuck with a chaise on the wrong side.
    Jane Loft Bisectional Sofa, Totem Storm · Mer info
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ur so right!! Too bad I have a stubborn husband who wants to buy a huge sectional, that will take up the whole living room .. He paid down on this
  • Marci
    9 år sedan
    Oh no no no no no...that will never fit in your LR!!

Tell him that if he wants big furniture, you both need to save your money for a bigger house.

Please get some blue painter's tape and outline it on your floor. Show him how it will not fit.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    That sectional is made for a room four times your size. No, that's not an exaggeration. It will seat the whole starting lineup of a basketball team! And most of their wives and children at the same time. (OK, that part was an exaggeration.)

If it's not special order, you can probably get a store credit for the amount he put down, IF you can talk him into something smaller.
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Great idea, marci. Yes, tape it out on the floor and show him. He'll have to relent once he realizes you won't be able to open the front door. ;-)
  • Marci
    9 år sedan
    Additional thoughts: you do not have any idea books. Your husband has the idea that he wants a large fluffy sectional. Start collecting pictures of small living rooms that appeal to you and show him alternatives.

Newport ocean front · Mer info

AND Interior Design Studio · Mer info

Degrassi · Mer info

lawrence · Mer info
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I love all Ya ideas.. The living room is the smallest room in the house.. I think he's thinking too much of when family n friends come over.. I showed him numerous pics living room sets, A sofa with two chairs two sofas on each sign everything... He's really stuck on a sectional and us getting me upset and this is a brand-new house I'm trying not to argue.. He don't even want to do accent wall and because he feels this house is newly built were the first to live here and we don't need to change anything he's very old-school
  • glschisler
    9 år sedan
    Groveraxle, that Jane bi-sectional is really ideal for small spaces!
  • groveraxle
    9 år sedan
    Do you have a family room in addition to the living room? If so, and it's bigger, maybe the sectional will fit there. And even if it does fit in the living room, there won't be one inch of extra space and it will completely overpower the room. Then he's gonna have to say, "You were right, Honey." He's really gonna hate that!
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    No there's no additional room
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    Did you say already Natalie the measurement from trim at front door to corner?
    swivels...
    GDF Studio Blake Modern Design Accent Arm Chair · Mer info
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år sedan
    Could you post more photos of other angles of the room?
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 år sedan
    It's not a big space. If you don't get a sectional then purchase a sofa with two medium sized swivel lounge chairs that can be moved easily.
  • houseatthelake
    9 år sedan
    Don't be afraid to use large pieces in your small room just fewer of them. Once you find a sectional that you like get the dimensions and tape out on the floor where are you planning to place it. This will give you an idea of how much room you'll have.
  • houseatthelake
    9 år sedan
    Here's a smaller type sectional.
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I don't have measurements the only other pic I have is the kitchen, n u can see at the side of the kitchen where the living room ends.. The living room wall is right behind the kitchen wall (where I would place my tv) we move in n get the keys next week. That's y I'm stress, because he wants to buy furnitures before taking measurements.. This is the center table he also paid down on
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    You are the measurer then....maybe you'll buy leather and coffee table? resembles kitchen look.
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I hate leather
  • linlac
    9 år sedan
    Natalie don't wait for him to take measurements. Go buy a tape measurer if you don't have one and get those measurements. Call and talk to your salesperson and get the measurements on the sectional. If you find it won't fit then you can tell your husband. Can you take pictures of the room from all angles? I'm afraid you're going to block the front door and have to crawl through the window to get in.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    I guess your photo was to show the coffee table.
  • Teresa Rutherford
    9 år sedan
    Yes...you really need to get room measurements. Get your tape measure and get on over there! If it is a new house you should be able to get dimensions from builder.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Linlac is right! Make sure you measure your room and the walls before purchasing a sectional that will not fit! So many people purchase furniture without planning first and end up making mistakes that can't be fixed. Also, there are plenty of small sectionals that would probably work in your space. Check out West Elm and Pottery Barn. They also have a variety of materials and colors to choose from. Good luck!
  • Marci
    9 år sedan
    Yes, Natalie, you need to get all the measurements ASAP.

The furniture your husband is choosing is way too big for the living room. It will completely dominate the space and it feel small and cramped.

1. Call whomever you are purchasing the house from. If it's new construction and you are buying from the builder, they should be able to e-mail floor plans to you. If they have a website, you may even be able to download them. If you want to measure in person, make an appointment and bring a tape measure and a camera.

2. Call the furniture store and get the dimensions of the couch. Or, if they have a website, you can get them directly off there.

3. Draw or print out the floor plans. Make multiple copies. On one of them trace out the footprints of the couch and table. Note how much (or little) space there is for walking around furniture, or whether you will have access to the windows and doors, and whether it is easy to transit from the living room to other parts of the house.

4. It sounds like your husband is very excited to be moving into the new house and wants to have it ready to entertain guests. But it is also important that the house works for your family on a daily basis. Buying the wrong furniture before you even move in will detract from enjoying your new home. You'll hate the furniture for being too big and resent the house for being too small. It is possible to furnish a small space comfortably and stylishly, but it's a little trickier. However, there are lots of people here willing to help!

Good luck!
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I wish he would read these comments :-( he has a large family n so do I, but we can't decorate for them, we have to decorate for us.. He really likes couches with chasers where he could lay at., I think that's what it's called.. His thing is, he wants to be comfortable
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    We can't get in the house till Friday.. The sectional suppose to be delivered Saturday.. I want to cancel it without him knowing
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år sedan
    Make your decisions together. You will be happier that way in the long run!
  • glschisler
    9 år sedan
    Also if the sectional does not fit & must be returned, how much is the restocking fee? That will be an additional cost.
  • kaye1951
    9 år sedan
    Use those empty moving boxes to stack the size of the couch. A picture is worth a thousand words!
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    He's now open to a few pics yA post earlier.. Thanks guys,. He said I could cancel the big sectional
  • Marci
    9 år sedan
    Phew! Congrats to both of you. I was really afraid it would be delivered, it wouldn't fit, it would have to go back and you two would be on the hook for a restocking fee.

And seriously, you don't have to get the house decorated by next Sunday. I think many people here would say give it a little time to see how the house feels before making big investments. When we bought our house, it was ten months before I could pull the trigger on a couch for the living room.
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I feel so much better.. Thanks guys!! I think that's his problem, he wanted to get everything done so we could host a Christmas dinner
  • Karen Saxton
    9 år sedan
    Sofa and 1 or 2 armchairs, too much furniture will make the room look smaller.
  • Natalie Williams
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I'm trying for the 1 to 2 arm chair.. Baby steps
  • houseatthelake
    9 år sedan
    If you're going with a sectional a round coffee table is probably your best bet.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    Logan Apartment-Sized Sofa, Chicago Blue, 68x36x33" · Mer info
  • Marci
    9 år sedan
    Natalie, I have not forgotten about your design dilemma. Here is a sectional that may work in your space. It is completely modular, so you can figure out what fits.

http://www.sofasandsectionals.com/klaussner-outer-limits-k8800-sleeper-sectional

Hope the move and the decorating are going smoothly!
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 år sedan
    I think the key to designing an amazing small focus is to actually not focus on the fact that it is small. Great your dream space. Incorporate all the things you love then devise a plan to make them work with the space you have.

I have an amazing blog post that I think may help.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/01/19/decorating-a-small-apartment/
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.