saralines

Dining Chairs for Breakfast Nook - Too big and too bright?

S
9 år sedan
So I'm pretty sure these don't work for the following reasons:
1. Too bright (but in theory could repaint or just get used to it)?
2. Too bulky can't fit 5 chairs (family of 5) comfortably and you can't see the pretty base of my table well (although I could just put 4 there and keep an extra elsewhere since we don't all eat at that table at the same time that often?)
3. Slightly too big to be comfortable.
Should I just resell them (cost for return shipping is prohibitive) or do I try to make them work?

Kommentarer (62)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 år sedan
    Maybe get a larger piece of glass for the top and that would space the chairs out for more room
  • Aubrey Lou
    9 år sedan
    I love the blue chairs so much where are they from? Also can you get them in different colors? Thanks, Please get back to me As Soon As Possible (ASAP).
  • Aubrey Lou
    9 år sedan
    I think it would look wonderful if you pant them a brown bamboo wood color or, leave them like they are and make it work.
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Aubrey - would you like to buy them from me? I haven't used them (we are still using the brown chairs). Where do you live?
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    groveraxle - I love the wood chairs but my husband thinks they are too small (though they are perfect for me!) and the seats are totally falling apart (including the wood underneath). I could have them redone - maybe refinish them lighter greyish brown or paint them in a more muted darker sea blue, though I don't know what I'd do on the seats (they are woven rattan). I thought about redoing them and just selling the turquoise one. I was stupid and bought on impulse without measuring!
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Dar I have a rectangular table in my dining room. I love my round table and don't want to get rid of it.
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Martha thanks for the pics - lovely rooms. I guess I could make it work but would definitely need a bigger pendant, so art/frames on the wall, and possibly window treatments. I can't stand the water cooler there but we don't have much space for it elsewhere unfortunately. I wish I could hide it somehow. I still feel like the chairs are too big and bright though. Thanks for your help.
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Okay took some photos with just 4...posting several because they look brighter in some than others for some reason!
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Oh and in terms of the living room, depending on the light, they are a bit to bright for the living room (very tricky!).
  • interiordesignme
    9 år sedan
    I love your chairs!! they look so good! especially here next to the window! i really like the look of it, i dont think think it s too bright, you just Need to Balance it out with window Treatment, different lighting and decor. as s/o alrdy mentioned
  • tatts
    9 år sedan
    I simply do not understand water coolers. Under-sink water filters are so easy to install, inexpensive, and a cinch to use that I just don't understand why people go to the expense and hassle of bottled water. Plus, truth be told, regular tap water was good enough for everyone until a few years ago. Install an under-sink unit and ditch the water cooler. Put the 5th chair in its corner.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 år sedan
    I like the table with just the four chairs. They won't look as bright when you have window treatments,etc. Love the color!
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    1. Too bright, yes. Your eating area looks more like of a formal dining area, since it is separate from the kitchen. Breakfast nooks are usually part of the kitchen. The Freshwater color is more of an outdated color (has more blue undertones than what is popular now) and looks like something to go more on a patio which is okay if that is look you want.

Do you have any of that color in the rest of the house? If you keep the chairs that color, you need to pull that color in around the room and other areas of the house. If not, painting the chairs a more neutral color it would give the room a more formal and elegant look. Consider going with white, off white or brown similar color to your other chairs would give them a more timeless and classic look. You could also add a glaze over the top over the existing paint color to tone them down. Believe it or not by adding a chocolate brown or black glaze give it a patina look.

I have always recommend to my clients to keep the main furniture pieces more neutral, this gives you the flexibility of changing the cushion, accessories and window treatments out more often. Since the Pantone world color board predicted colors yearly, it is best to keep your accessories in the forecast trend colors and not the large furniture pieces. Otherwise they will soon be out of vogue in a few quick years and be costly to replace.

2. Too bulky- no. Looking at the new photos you posted, it appears you have plenty of room, both 4 or 5 chairs.

3. They chairs are a classic style. I would make them work.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    Can't a breakfast nook be cheerful? and even if you don't paint all or portion of the chairs white, what about round one? [though probably a shade off I like it]
    Surya Cosmopolitan COS-9230 8' Round Teal, Emerald Rug · Mer info
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Beautiful! Enjoy them and keep decorating the room. Add more blue to tie in the colors of the chairs! Good luck.
  • happyleg
    9 år sedan
    Yes.
  • Aubrey Lou
    9 år sedan
    saralines- No I don't want to buy them from you, sorry.
  • gretchen129
    9 år sedan
    Bigger cushions including the backrest would make them more comfortable for dining
  • Martha Carlton
    9 år sedan
    I really like the four chairs at the table. It shows off the table itself. Perhaps the fifth chair could be placed on the wall with the light switch leading into the piano room.
  • Martha Carlton
    9 år sedan
    Coastal Living magazine called turquoise the color of the year for 2014. I think you should rock it!
  • Martha Carlton
    9 år sedan
    Be creative and find an old chandelier and paint it to match or complement your color scheme. See examples in the link.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxbcUwnVdc4/Tcnkom6yDrI/AAAAAAAAAHU/at56b9Glgzw/s1600/Spray_painted_chandeliers.jpg
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    tatts, drinking water in our area has been linked to miscarriages and birth defects. I am all for underthesink or whole house filtrations but my husband loves the taste of this brand of water so what can I do? It is on my list - maybe I can convert him :).
    Wyland IDC, my dining room has the RH vintage caneback chairs in burnt oak to give you a reference to the color scheme of my house - it is mostly that with pops of blues. I think if the chairs were a darker more muted blue with less white/reflection in the color of the paint it might work more. I don't think I want to go too formal though as it is a breakfast nook - but just a little more sophisticated/less "mod" color than this. The glaze idea is good - maybe I can look into that. But with 5 chairs, we don't have plenty of room - the chairs all touch edges when you push them in. I guess if I eventually get a glass top that is a little bigger (maybe 4" more?) maybe it could work. The kids scratched up the top anyhow - but I'll probably wait until they are older.
    Martha, yes I love my table and want to be able to see it! I could put the extra chair in my entryway or maybe I"ll try to get rid of the cooler. The lights witch wall would block our pathway it isn't that big of an area. Maybe I will take my chandelier from the dining room and try painting it. I don't like and wanted to get a new fixture for in there anyhow.
    Thanks to everyone for your help! I'll let you know what I decide to do (eventually)!
  • PRO
    9 år sedan
    You could add a folding screen in front of the water cooler. If you paint the light fixture, make sure you purchase heat resistant paint that is non flammable.
  • PRO
    9 år sedan
    Here is a table that is glazed with brown. You can add more or less glaze that what they have done on this table. Your chairs would be slightly lighter than what this example looks like.

When you go to replace the glass top, make sure you purchase a tempered glass. This glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass and is hard to scratch.

An old fix for scratches in glass tops, is to take toothpaste the has polish granules in it. With a soft cloth and the tooth paste you can had buff it out. There are also glass repair kits you can buy or hire a windshield glass repair company to fill the scratches.
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    I like it, keep it simple, especially window covering, a bit of a pattern but subtle
  • lmckuin
    9 år sedan
    I love them! I think with 4 chairs around the table (and the other out of the way until you need it) with a fun print that includes the turquoise blue in a window covering on your big, bright window (Roman shade or long panels), it will make a very cheerful breakfast room. I would try to find a new home for your water cooler though (room in a pantry or something?). We also live somewhere you can't drink the tap water and invested in a commercial grade water filter - I love that option.
    S thanked lmckuin
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 år sedan
    You have a great colour before you there and a window space that cries with potential why not solve the problem by considering a window seat which your kids will love and add a few more bright colours such as limegreen or yellow. This idea will work with either a long or round table (see the images below). However, the water cooler definately needs a new home if possible freeing up more space in the long run. Carefully chosen and bright colorful rugs, drapes and accessories will also help the overall look. Good luck I look forward to seeing where this goes :)
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    I love the chairs. Try moving the water cooler to the right of the window so it's not the first thing you see when looking into the room. My parents have one and moved it to their garage (something to consider if you have an attached garage). I think a chandelier with glass/crystal would have a big impact on the space. Plus it would tie into the rest of your house. Just use the chandeliers from Restoration Hardware as inspiration but find one with less metal.
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    More inspiration
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 år sedan
    Great classic chairs just add a big throw pillow in a pattern that embraces the chair color. They will serve you for years to come as you change their location and colors.
  • S
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks everyone. I like the screen idea or possibly other corner for the water cooler, but yes, I will look into a filtration system (recommendations are welcome, since you are all so good at that.) I like the blues of the chairs in the 3rd pic blehnheimnewzealeand posted - more muted, which I guess is the issue. I will still consider the glaze option Wyland IDC posted perhaps if I keep them, or maybe I will just repaint or get used to them. I don't want too much window treatment because I don't love dressed windows but maybe a subtle flat fold roman shade will work, along with art work and a new chandelier/pendant. I do have 5 people in my family which is why I do need 5 chairs eventually. I will consider the built in option too but I think I like space around the table edges and don't want to make the area too busy.
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    Add a bit of interest to your light shade with some rows of ribbon when you have finished your room
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    Area rug would be nice too
  • americandreamdyn
    9 år sedan
    The chairs are great & not too large.
    The table is honestly a really ugly style & also not the right shape & size to make use of the space.
    A rectangular table that can seat 6 chairs would be the best use of this room.
  • americandreamdyn
    9 år sedan
    The water cooler is an eyesore, but after you paint a wall, add some art & curtains then the eye will wander more & the cooler will fit in.
    Could the cooler be moved to the kitchen?
    Don't take the advice of an under sink filter as it won't remove the fluoride from the water.
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 år sedan
    It looks great with the 4 chairs, love the color also ! Consider replacing your lamp with a chandelier. Also, moving your water cooler out of sight.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    Instead of that bright rug I posted [which might be better somewhere else, as a runner, idea] ACT One has an attention-getter in lighting: more essential than a rug.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 år sedan
    What a cute baby! I think the chairs are more garden/patio dining rather than indoors. If you're not attached to it sell it for something smaller. A rug is needed too.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    these instead?
    GDF Studio Emilia T-stitch Bonded Leather Dining Chair, Set of 2, Teal, Faux Leather · Mer info

Surya Cosmopolitan COS-9230 8' Round Teal, Emerald Rug · Mer info

GDF Studio India Geometric Fabric Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Teal · Mer info
  • sheilaskb
    8 år sedan

Personally, I would not choose a glass table for a home with children. I believe the chairs are very pretty, and I would keep them as they are. I would opt for a rectangular wood dining table painted black to contrast from the aqua of the chairs.

• PRO
    Robin Garceau Interiors
    8 år sedan

Wallpaper the alcove area to balance it off - the color is great

• happyleg
    8 år sedan

Is this still alive? Are you done? Pics please.

• S
    Författare
    8 år sedan

In response to everyone who has posted recently, I love my table and don't want to change it. Glass is not a good choice with kids but I had the table pre-kids and it was a floor sample. Way too many scratches now, but oh well! It is a breakfast nook as we have a separate dining room and one wall is basically the kitchen/there is a lot of line of site to the kitchen (although same can be said of the dining room). I have remained indecisive and used the chairs in my living room since I have yet to get arm chairs for the living room. I'm letting the other chairs slowly die from use with 3 little kids :). I'll be sure to update you once I move the chairs to the breakfast nook (with a different pendant, lumbar pillows, artwork up, etc.

• PRO
    Linda Elkins Designs
    8 år sedan

I love the chairs! I'd hang patterned drapes, in analogous colors or complementary colors; a light fixture with more presence, fun pillows and artwork. Put the kids to work creating your own artwork on canvas!

• PRO
    COCo
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Hi, I do not think your A - dining chairs are too bright, I think they are great! I love the blue and white and would work with it.

A - dining chairs are too bright, I think they are great!

B - A beautiful vinyl wall covering on the two walls.

C - Vinyl has come a long way. Maharam, Holly Martin, Schumacher will all give you ideas, and most of the contract fabric and vinyl comes in 54 - 60 inch wide.

D - There is also a firm - Modern Fabrics.com, and they have a huge selection of fabric from a variety of locations for pillow covers, windows, drapes, bed covers etc.

A suggestion:

You will want to pick and collect all your finishes, fabrics, photos of shutters, mirrors, shades etc. and bring them into the home. I would paint many of the walls, or wallcover, there is too much white. The table and chairs are great, and if there was color around them, they would tone down immensely. Try it, order some samples.

Maharam, Holly Martin, Schumacher, Benjamin Moore Wheel, Carpets on line, or ABC carpet in NY City. Lamps Plus, Artemide, Lightolier, Jensen and Shade Shop. This should help get you on your way.

E. A good piece of foam board 3 will most likely do, and you can place all your colors in one location, from entry, and your Hello table, to the bathroom and shower curtain. It is good to get an idea laid out and do this as you can.

F. Collection

At Home Depot in the paint section, they sell small sheets of drywall for you to paint a section in order to see this in the different light. I suggest two, ceiling and wall. You will be surprised how different the ceiling paint looks. Your colors could also be yellow and red. I would paint the rest of the room a grey/blue, or a lovely grey with white trim to bring in into the other areas. You might even include the hallway. I always paint the ceiling a color from the group. This would now be a lighter shade of the wall, just a bit.

Your colors could also be yellow and red. I would paint the rest of the room a grey/blue, or a lovely grey with white trim to bring in into the other areas. You might even include the hallway. I always paint the ceiling a color from the group. This would now be a lighter shade of the wall, just a bit.

The first item we look at is the floors, this is the hardest color to get. If there is a carpet or tile etc. From here you can pick your colors, and there should be a pattern of how they interface. Having a simple hallway with a grey/blue theme will bring you into the dining area, and then back out to the X might change color or just darken or lighten. There are lots of ways to add a bit with some molding and a piece of fabric in the center, trim white, and wall X. As long as there is a color to bring us through the house and not from a brown room to a green.

Your colors could also be yellow and red. I would paint the rest of the room a grey/blue, or a lovely grey with white trim to bring in into the other areas. You might even include the hallway. I always paint the ceiling a color from the group. This would now be a lighter shade of the wall, just a bit.

An oriental print carries many colors and lets you get away with a lot.

You might include the hallway. I always paint the ceiling a color from the group. This would now be a lighter shade of the wall, just a bit. And two ceiling mounted lights or track lighting would awaken the art work.

I do not remember the floor, but a round carpet under the table is great. Any carpet center will cut this for you, and a steel grey, or the color you pick, they have hundreds of color. Going to the local carpet center may cost $50.00 more, but you can return in a few years for another round. This way you can also shake out crumbs.

In this pattern, I would use the darker blue for the carpet, the color ivory for the trim, and a blue grey for the walls in the kitchen. There is a firm called The Shade Shop.com and they have great solar shades that let you see out and people can see in a bit. However, this shade I used on 38 windows all facing the sun, and cut my electric bill in half. I love them.

Here is a sample of an oriental wall covering with a bit of color, from here you can pick any color.

And, on the bottom is all the rage. Dismiss the plant. Wood on the wall, and a paint (blocking) in the center line. the table would be the center at 29" high, and 18" of paint with 9" above table height and 9" below. You would then paint the same 18" in the corner, again 9" and 9". This seems a bit modern, but you could pull it off.

window - Using a geometic wood on the window is a great idea, you can leave it open or you can put a simple white behind it, to see out a bit. However, it does not move. Plantation, not real wood, in white are perfect and you have a large window. I say not real wood since I have had them, and they needed to be painted, did not clean well, and the new ones are great. All of mine opened when I wanted them to, they hung like doors with hinges. Or you can have them pull up like blinds Hunter Douglas has a large selection of wall coverings.

mirror - I like the concept of a mirror over the wall covering, it reflect back out.

doorway

If you put plantation shutters on the opening into the room, they can add them to either side of the opening, the folding type. They can be put inside, and on one side, just a 1/2 for looks, but it does add to the room. This would mean a plantation shutter on the window. This gives your home an entirely different look.

An opportunity to close this up would be nice, and give you a bit of privacy.

For lighting, I would go back to white, this is not a dining room, so I would stay away from too high style a lamp. I like this one.

On the table, I would put a center swivel, it is easier with children to get everything off the table onto one simple swivel unit. This is actually a very lovely ceramic, only it does not show up well here, it is on the site.

Lazy susan

I suggest you add the hallway into the painting, and some lighting, perhaps one track. Juno is a good looking hat for the bulb. The way the pictures are now they may fall as the small one gets larger, a long ledge with a trim 3" high will give you the same concept, and the square corner as you come around the corner will be gone.

Best of luck in what looks to be your new home.

Thank you and enjoy.

Angela428

ps You have plenty of room, the table is lovely, and the room will look great, go with what you want. It is your house. Enjoy.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.