pattys16

Please help me with my dining room renovation!

Patty Serpone
9 år sedan
We are finally ready to renovate our dining room. We plan to add wainscoting around, new stone fireplace with new molding and new light fixture. table is staying and so are the chairs for now. But maybe some fabric chairs someday or slip cover them for now. Also need a rug. For paint thinking light warm gray. What should I do to the walls next to the fireplace and the opposite wall? Built ins? Long buffet? I like a transitional style but also like other styles like craftsmen and a touch of modern. I would love any suggestions you may have!! Here are some pics of the space with some decor I like.

Kommentarer (35)

• acm
    9 år sedan
    Your fireplace facing is pretty shallow, so I think you'll have trouble building in bookcases (say) -- you're looking at 12" depth surrounding that 3" lip, so the fireplace would end up sunken, plus your room would feel smaller. If you have things you want to display, you could build some freestanding shelves on one or both sides instead.

But honestly, none of that really fits with wainscotting. We need a bit more guidance as to your style, goals, etc. -- can you share an example of a light fixture you'd consider? dining rooms you love? For example, a lot of people change their rough fireplaces to look like your very elegant one -- what are you planning instead?
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Not sure what type of stone to go with?
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Not sure if I want rough stone it smooth and nervous i will mess it up!
  • acm
    9 år sedan
    maybe keep the same brick and just get a new mantel??
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Acm that what my husband said but I've painted it so many times and I don't like it.
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    Would you consider color? I would first think about the color palette you want to apply in the space and make sure that the other spaces throughout your property flow with your current space in terms of color and style. A good starting point is a rug to define the space. Then a nice chandelier to complement your existing table as well as the rug. Are you planning to keep your existing window treatments?
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    I like your idea of covering your fireplace with stone; would you consider covering the wall above it as well? Thus creating a nice stone wall from the ceiling to the floor that will include your fireplace, and give it a transitional look.
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    Something like this
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    We have a fireplace in our family room that we plan to cover in stone all the way up to the ceiling. You can see that fireplace from all the room. I attached a pic it's on the right wall. So, I think I would do this fireplace different... Here is another view of out dining room from kitchen. What are your thought on wainscoting in dining rooms?
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I would consider changing the drapes
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    I think that wainscoting will add elegance to your dining room. Do you want to paint it in white or a color?
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 år sedan
    Wainscoting over halfway up is gorgeous in dining rooms ,I would leave the fireplace and add a mantle to match that gorgeous table ,try a sea salt color above the wainscoting ,but I like the room now ,very pretty...probably the only change I would make would be the light fixture over the table
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 år sedan
    A sliding barn door would look great over that opening near the back door.
  • PRO
    User
    9 år sedan
    What's about this idea? White wainscoting and new fireplace mantel, and a contrasting paint color or even wall paper (grass cloth) on the walls.
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    love_design
    Brandi That doorway leads to our main bathroom. So the door would always be open. Would you still suggest a barn door?

Meryem have been thinking of wall paper as well.
    0 Likes 1 minute ago
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I have also thought about adding some kind of molding where the walls meet. What are your thoughts on this. Here are two pictures of the area in question and molding.
  • PRO
    Masters of Design
    9 år sedan
    Your dining room has great bones!

I think that you should work on enhancing some architectural elements. You need some contract in the room considering all of the possible focal points. I would start by painting the way a color color (like a grey) to give some contrast against your window treatment and most importantly your fireplace. Also another great opportunity is to install a chandelier medallion to your ceiling once you select new lighting. Your ceiling appear to be shorter but this makes for a great opportunity to give focus to it.

Good Luck,
    M.M.
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    We will be renovating our stairs case in the spring and could open the wall which would open the dining room up. Just not sold on the idea.

I am taking down Xmas decorations so please excuse the mess!
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    Love the big mirrors either side of fireplace, or you could have cabinets either side with mirrors on top of cabinets and lamps
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    I would leave the fireplace brick but knock down a few rows on top and add a white mantle surround. Agree with acm on the wainscoting. I think it looks best in rooms that have a defined entry. Do you need storage? If not, avoid adding extra furniture to the room. Have you considered moving some of your wall hangings? The mirror above your fireplace would look great vertically (and perhaps be functional) on the wall between the kitchen and the hallway leading to the exterior. Then move the silver framed flower above the fireplace or above the buffet (you could also try the 4 mirrors above the buffet). I wouldn't layer your curtains (choose sheer or solid, not both) but I would extend the rods a bit and install 4 panels and remove the frame between the two windows.
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you everyone for all this great advice!

Er612 are you saying move the fireplace Mirror to the opposite wall?

enheimnewzealand I really like the idea of a small table one either side of fireplace with mirrors over them.

Should I do sconces above the fireplace to the sides or forego sconces?
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    I was suggesting hanging the fireplace mirror vertically on this wall but you could also try it horizontally above the buffet. The problem with hanging it above the buffet is it will be too congested with the lamps. Personally, I like the lamps but feel they would fit better on a wider buffet. Your current buffet works better with a single lamp of that size. Choose a chandelier to complement the lamps. Choose the rug after you've decided on the rest of the space.
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    I think a linear chandelier would work best in your space. Do you like this light:
    Clarissa Glass Drop Extra-Long Rectangular Chandelier · Mer info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    You may need to reconsider the rug once you beef up the fireplace appropriately. Rug should be 4' wider and longer than the table top yet not run into walls, furniture on the walls or the hearth (should clear it by at least 12-18") so get out the painter's tape and try it on the floor to determine feasibility.
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I do love that chandler. I've been eyeing that one for a year now. Just not sure if it's too fancy then what I want? I really love the other two that I posted too. What do you think of those? We are going to start on the wainscoting within the week.

As for the rug. Should I be looking for a design and color or something neutral and plain? Would love any help with rugs. The table is 122 inches long. I think the rug is going to be in the path to the bathroom which might be a problem but not much we can do about that...
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan
    So, lengthwise, your rug should be 14' 17" or you may as well say 15'. How about width?
  • PRO
    Expand Furniture
    9 år sedan
    I think warm grey is a fabulous color choice and I just have to say, I love your table. Fantastic
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Any warm gray paint suggestions? The table with is 42".
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan
    So we're talking about a rug that is 170" (14.16') x 90" (7.5') - that's an odd size. Can you tape off that size around your table and see how it looks? Here's the closest one I could find - it is 168" x 118" and is $4,900, although you might make an offer and see. This one is at a consignment website I love called www.chairish.com, listed as traditional in style.
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    If you'd been eyeing it for a year and still like it, I would buy it. The metal keeps it from being too fancy and blends nicely with the rest of your house. Are you installing the light yourself or hiring an electrician? If you're hiring someone, they usually charge by the hour so it may be worth replacing the ceiling light in the entry too. Doesn't have to be anything special. Just updated so when you see it from the dining room, it complements the space. What's your current wall color?
  • Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I received the stone for my fireplace and the contractor is putting it up on Wednesday. I would love suggestions on wall color! I am thinking of a darker warm gray. I also have these two chairs I got for the ends of the table. You can see other views of this room at the top of this post. Thank you!
  • er612
    9 år sedan

If you choose dark grey, you might want to get a glass chandelier.

Funky and Fun Living Room · Mer info

• CassidyZ
    9 år sedan

I think that chandelier would blend better with the rest of your house's design, much moreso than glass. I think a warm medium grey tone paint is best (not dark grey)

• Patty Serpone
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I agree with a warm medium gray paint. Does anyone have suggestions on this color paint? Ozark shadows from bm looks nice but not sure if its going to be too matchy matchy with the stone color. Below is the color Ozark shadows.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.