alyssaandryan

Help what's missing? Ideas please.

alyssaandryan
9 år sedan
senast redigerad:9 år sedan
Hi I am trying to decorate our dinning room please help with decor ideas. The table just doesn't look right.

Kommentarer (100)

• PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors ~Tammy Vallar
    9 år sedan
    Hi! Did you say your light fixture is 60''? If so... I can tell you that is way to big for that space Please ask your decorator the correct light fixture size for your room. It's based on the room size Without that information.. we can not help you. Good luck! :)
    alyssaandryan thanked Decorating Den Interiors ~Tammy Vallar
  • rosehumphrey
    9 år sedan
    Color. The blue is well put but adding something to the centerpiece on your table that's big or bolder with blue to pull the look together.
    alyssaandryan thanked rosehumphrey
  • arubalime
    9 år sedan
    Wow I think you are being beat up here when the room is beautiful! Just sayin!
    alyssaandryan thanked arubalime
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I think 60 because this table is very large. 31 -36 is waaaay to small.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I think when curtains are up it'll look blended/ transition between hard edges of mirror and style of furniture... anyway what's wrong with penneys? teal ombre
    http://www.jcpenney.com/windows/studio-dylan-ombre-grommet-top-curtain-panel/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003590771&searchTerm=ombre+window+panel&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0109201418353612C.tif
    alyssaandryan thanked everdebz
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I am in Canada no JC Penney here.
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    If you knew Penney's like I know Penney's! Does anyone you know ever order?Well there are lots of 5 stars for these, but it'd have to be a name you'd trust, or could resell...Point is I think your room needs this in my opinion: modern pattern [or none] to go with modern mirror, and bit of elegant sheen or flowy for traditional elements...
  • tatd
    9 år sedan
    I think a substantial shelf would anchor the mirror and balance the china cabinet on the other side.

http://houzz.com/photos/2404722
    alyssaandryan thanked tatd
  • kathytaffy
    9 år sedan
    I live in Canada and JC Penney does ship with a $9.95 shipping rate. The problem is the exchange rate right now is bad.
    alyssaandryan thanked kathytaffy
  • hatetoshop
    9 år sedan
    I live in Canada, and have found some nice table runners at Homesense. How long is your table?
    alyssaandryan thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Beyond Shades
    9 år sedan
    Hi. Beautiful room. Yes, you need drapery in a fabric you love to soften this room and up the designer feel. You will get there. I recommend just side panels that remain open showing off your shutters. Floor to ceiling.
    alyssaandryan thanked Beyond Shades
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Yes we are only doing side panels in a silky fabric colour yet to be chosen. Keep in mind my home is an open concept. I don't think I could get away with black drapes. My table is 6.5 feet! It's so large it's hard to do anything.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I like the shelf idea
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    How long does the runner have to be?
  • Geneviève
    9 år sedan
    For drama I would look at the first fabric that you have posted ,for softness the one with the turquoise birds,,you could get samples of them and then decide:)
    If you want to modern look then go for either a plain ...like the black or a stripe in black and the same colour as your walls ,then add glass items for colour that you can change as you wish .
    alyssaandryan thanked Geneviève
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    Try substituting the mirrored wall thing for a piece of art. The mirror is cold and monochromatic.
    alyssaandryan thanked leelee
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    Do a series of votive candles down 2/3's the length of the table.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Actually just measured table. It's 8.5 feet.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I had a beautiful piece of Paris. I just loved this modern piece and trying to make it work.
  • PRO
    Bravada Blinds & Shutter Co.
    9 år sedan
    Wainscoting with chair rail around the room would change the entire look and give more character to the room. Nice shutters!
    alyssaandryan thanked Bravada Blinds & Shutter Co.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I agree with the wainscotting its on the list. Solo much to do.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år sedan
    Perhaps stationary panels would be an option to add some softness/texture to the room?
    Some minimalist cornice units on either side. I wouldn't want to cover the woodwork and shutters on the window. Such a classy look for sure.
    Cornice Window Treatments · Mer info

Also just throwing this out there, not like you need anything else to make your head spin :) but have you considered two smaller fixtures rather than one large one? Not necessarily the ones in the photo but just to get an idea.
    alyssaandryan thanked Whispar Design
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Yes but I am in love with a rectangle design.
  • Maria de Luna
    9 år sedan
    You can also add a big straight-leafed artificial / real plant in the corner to add some color. Also try some hint of yellows.
    alyssaandryan thanked Maria de Luna
  • leelee
    9 år sedan
    Wainscotting and the ultra modern mirrored piece are not on the same planet.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Lol it may need to be moved.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    As I go along I may move it to our basement
  • User
    9 år sedan
    If you are contemplating at all removing the mirrored art, I love the quirky sophistication of this piece I just found on Gilt.com.
    alyssaandryan thanked User
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Actually, that may be what is missing - a fun, quirky element to offset all the austerity and sterility in the room. But I love quirky, so may not be right for you.
  • babysistsh8859
    9 år sedan
    You need color
    alyssaandryan thanked babysistsh8859
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 år sedan
    Mirror art? it seems like a horrible accident waiting to happen. Personally I would chuck the piece or give it to my enemies. The table is fine. It would look even better without the glass top. Be what it may, that chandelier is too much, unless you get rid of that horrendous thing in the wall.
  • babysistsh8859
    9 år sedan
    I was looking at your room again. Have you considered more lighting? You also need some pints of interest. The mirror abstract looks too modern for the table. I suggest a large picture with bright pops of color. Some orange or yellows.
    alyssaandryan thanked babysistsh8859
  • sandradclark
    9 år sedan
    everything in Your dining room has hard edges. stay away from geometric designs. Please take the advice you have been given to go with soft lines and don't go with the rectangular crystal chandelier. Go with one or two drum shades with dark crystals hanging down. take down the hard edge mirror. Your area rug should be Persian with curved shapes. Do all of the chairs fit under the sides of the table? If so, buy two upholstered chairs for the ends in a very small print Have the other chairs seat covers upholstered in the same print. I you have an Ikea, look at their website for plain silk drapes with grommets at the top. Hang them just below the ceiling & take them down to the floor. There could be a separate color sewn on the bottom to add interest. No one can pick your art for you. If having trouble pick a very large piece with colors from the area rug In an abstract (soft design.) You have mentioned teal for the room. Use the very palest of color & add just a little to your ceiling color. Buy the table runner (with fringe) & scrunch it up in the middle. Add some live plants to the room and an orchid in the table.
    alyssaandryan thanked sandradclark
  • n247080
    9 år sedan
    Your room is lovely, but comes across as harsh right now. It needs to be softened to look elegant and dramatic.

Easy fixes:

1. Paint the air vent and outlet to match the wall so it doesn't stand out.
    2. put an elegant runner on the table
    3. Add a mid size centerpiece instead of something so low. You want to see the people on the other side of the table, but you need some height. Perhaps a small floral arrangement and candles?
    4. Elegant napkins with interesting rings and stemware (either for water or for wine)

More difficult fixes:

1. you need on over the top, fabulous chandelier.
    2. What's up with the windows being closed off? I think the current window treatment makes you feel like you can't escape. I would either get rid of them entirely and put in soft layered shades that can be raised or lowered for privacy during a meal, or add soft, generous, sheer drapes and open the blinds up to let some light in.

P.S. love your wall art, table, chairs, rug and cabinet!
    alyssaandryan thanked n247080
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Candles new addition. I thank you for all your comments.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I am having a terrible time finding a fabric I like for the curtains and table runner. Have to go custom. Changes I have noted.

1) paint the vent
    2) chandelier. I really still want a rectangle with crystals
    3) custom drapes colour to be determined with crystal hardware on knobs.
    4) Table runner
    5) Two accent chairs
    6) May change back to my Paris painting??
    7) table centre???
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 år sedan
    As many others have suggested, you are definitely missing a chandelier! I'm a little biased because we make them, but I feel like the right chandelier would really help the room, and we make them custom so that it will be able to fit your space perfectly. That along with what others have suggested, curtains would really help soften the room as right now it's a bit more rigid without any softness.
    www.shakuff.com
    alyssaandryan thanked Shakuff
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    This is open concept but what do you guys think about wall paper?
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I actually really like these picture number three.
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I had an image in my head of a crystal chandler that will work with the mirror to bring sparkle.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    alyssaandryan... First, you've done a good job so far so don't despair. You'll get there.

Second, after reviewing all your choices so far and hearing the things you like, I think that you need texture to offset all your slick surfaces. Great design balances all the components of the area. Right now, you have nothing textural in your room. Your wall piece has a bit of texture but the mirror surfaces diminish that. Every surface in your room, including your candles, are smooth, glossy or slick. You need something rough or nubby or furry or something that makes you want to go in and touch the room instead of feeling like there is a pane of glass over everything.

Texture and personality are what's missing. The fabric you chose had a tactile texture but the design was hard and sharp, again negating the softer aspect of the fabric. All of your choices are lovely but to get the harmony you want in the room, it needs all the softer items that others have spoken about.

Look at the many excellent examples of other rooms in Houzz and try to analyze how they are put together. How smooth surfaces are offset with rougher or softer textures. How one color balances another. If all this makes your head spin off, then it's time for you to work with one professional who can interpret your ideas and put them into action.

Good luck and have a great new year!
  • ashtonchic
    9 år sedan
    Alyssaandryan - I think the chandelier with the teardrops is lovely. I would go in that direction. What does your Paris picture look like? Is it large enough for the wall? If not you could do a grouping of pictures - including the Paris pic. Are there any narrow console tables that are similar to your dining set? You could put that or a mirrored console under the pictures. I think I would look at French design if you are going to use the Paris picture. Soften the look with a heavy drape and some french figurines, candles and a few flowers along the center of the table. An Aubusson style rug would up the glam factor. You can mix modern with French traditional easily.
    alyssaandryan thanked ashtonchic
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I thank you all for your advice and it has made me realize I need to hire a designer. My head is spinning and I just can't seem to get it.
  • PRO
    Debra Blake Design
    9 år sedan
    I am in Canada as well, try Atelier online...they have a great light fixture and more contemporary pieces that you need for your space rather than where you have been shopping. You can see their pieces at. Bou. Claire if you have one where you live.
    alyssaandryan thanked Debra Blake Design
  • everdebz
    9 år sedan
    I almost hate to say it but the mirror has so much presence, visual weight that I see it in an very modern open space...and I don't like it with the shutters, sorry. I think curtains will soften it all.
    alyssaandryan thanked everdebz
  • alyssaandryan
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Curtains are in progress it's pretty much a blank slate right now. Mirror can be moved. Working on chair cover ideas now. Again I will hire a designer.
  • PA Cindy
    9 år sedan
    How about adding a nice ficus tree in the corner?
    alyssaandryan thanked PA Cindy
  • jlouise54
    9 år sedan
    Don't despair......your dining room is off to a great start. I had a very similar dilemma a couple of years ago and the piece that brought it all together was the drapes. I would be careful in selecting your drapery fabric. It isn't just the color that is important, but also pattern and texture. You have too little of all three of those right now. The drapes can bring in some color to add life to the room as well as pattern and texture to provide interest. If you plan to reupholster your chairs, you should pick that fabric in conjunction with picking your drapery fabric. Your designer should be a great help in doing that. Good luck!
    alyssaandryan thanked jlouise54
  • jlouise54
    9 år sedan
    Here is a photo of the drapes in my dining room. I have a marble top table, so like your room, my dining room was very "hard". The drapes really softened it up. They are a linen with an embroidered pattern.
    alyssaandryan thanked jlouise54
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.