silviaiacozza

What's missing?

silviaiacozza
9 år sedan
I need advice...what can I add to the walls? Anything I should change?

Kommentarer (94)

• PRO
    a better
    9 år sedan
    crown/ceiling molding and floating shelves on both sides of the fireplace.
  • Nunzia Gallo
    9 år sedan
    The problem is that the TV is center of the space. moved it or hide it.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 år sedan
    I got a big TV in my little house..... get some art and move the TV to a more appropriate place.
  • Tia
    9 år sedan
    see pic of my MD home. our wall was less challenging because it is smaller and our TV is large and we have a more prominent mantel - so all together the dimensions work well together naturally without much additional work. I collect masks from my world travels and because our entire living space is one big open space (aka not many walls in the houseI thought the flanking sides would be a good place for my masks. you could hang up something else. just be mindful of dimension, color, and that not over do it.
  • kathyjames
    9 år sedan
    I don't like the tv over the fireplace; it looks top heavy. I would place the tv to one side and balance the room with art on the other side of the fireplace and possibly leave that middle space empty.
    Nice furniture.
  • ornelas
    9 år sedan
    I'd just put a tree to the left of the fireplace. It would take care of that empty space with some natural beauty and a dash of color. Simple, not too cluttered.
  • jsljrl
    9 år sedan
    Just bought these vases and put Willow in them . I wanted to dress the fireplace. I also love my built ins. We collect blown glass and wanted to feature it
  • thekdg
    9 år sedan
    Crown molding would be a great addition. Also, ornate wrought iron metal(black or rustic finish) wall décor placed on each side of the flat screen.
  • shoreagent
    9 år sedan
    Nice room, nice colours. But as is so often the case the TV is overpowering in it's blackness. This needs to be balanced out. The black chair should come more forward. I also agree book shelves either side of the fireplace would help. If painted the same white as the fireplace the mixed colour of the books would give weight to distract from the TV.
  • Tina
    9 år sedan
    I also agree that the tv needs to be moved either beside the tv or on the wall where the credenza is located. Balance the fireplace with shelves on both sides of the fireplace. Put either a mirror or picture above the fireplace.
  • mikebossi
    9 år sedan
    NICE FURNITURE, LOVE THE PATINATED SILVER CHEST. KEEP THE FURNITURE!!!! IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT SCALE FURNITURE FOR THE SPACE. I GET THE FEELING THAT THE ROOM IS NOT ALL THAT LARGE TO BEGIN WITH. I WOULD ADD BOOKCASES TO EACH SIDE OF THE FIREPLACE AT THE SAME HEIGHT OF THE FIREPLACE. CHANGE OUT THE MANTLE FOR ONE THAT STRETCHES THE WHOLE LENGHT OF THE WALL. THIS WILL MAKE THE ROOM FEEL WIDER..YOU CAN ADD SOME NICE ART WORK RESTING ON THE LEDGE. I WOULD REPURPOSE THE LAMP TO ANOTHER ROOM AND ADD A GLASS LAMP FOR THE TOP OF THE CHEST....
  • Darlene Severn
    9 år sedan
    Definitely a crown molding, looks to be a smallish room and low ceiling so not too wide but needs to be the same white as the woodwork. TV needs to go - and side walls along fireplace are too empty. I'd put artwork or shelving on the side of the fireplace keeping in mind that it needs to be scaled to size of room. If it's a working fireplace it can be too warm over the top of it for artwork so need to work with that too. A mirror and 2 nice large taller vases would be nice there. TV could go in the corner on a lower cabinet but would need to have an offset on the other side. If it's not too warm over the fireplace could your painting and the TV trade places? I think your eye would be pleasingly drawn to the fireplace and the artwork, especially with a crown molding.
  • mlainter
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    I believe a reason for the TV hanging above the fireplace is reflections from the window. I would place the TV on the wall across from the window though; put blinds or shades in the window; rearrange, if possible, the sectional sofa for more comfortable sitting; move the floor lamp to another corner for reading on the sofa; the chair to the other side of the drawer.For the wall with fireplace I would hang a different scale either painting or a framed photo with white or off white matting ( I believe the length of hanging peace should be equal to the length of the mantel or longer and narrower then your existing piece of art); I would add a pair of matching crystal scones to the room; decorate the mantel with the things you have on the drawer + a few more...I would not add more furniture to the room. Room is not big enough and already has everything it needs.
  • Bonnie Long
    9 år sedan
    I think the mirror idea would be beautiful in this room. and it would be much easier than the shelving which usually just gets cluttered....
  • Bonnie Long
    9 år sedan
    I would use the silvertone or platinum colored frames for mirrors...
  • cluedin
    9 år sedan
    The scale of the fireplace seems too high for your furniture. It is also fairly generic traditional. I would re do the mantel in a linear design ( maybe in a grey modern barnboard) and lower the tv, or possibly move it to one side of the fireplace. I would move the console to another room like a hall and add more seating instead.
  • cluedin
    9 år sedan
    Like this.
  • erinsean
    9 år sedan
    I second putting the TV over the chest on the wall opposite the windows. The TV looks to big for your fireplace and is too high to look at comfortably.
  • judyrud
    9 år sedan
    Plants on the left, either a large plant in a pot or some plants on a little stand or maybe a hanging plant. On the right, if you don't do bookshelves as others have suggested, perhaps a small group of framed family photos to add a personal touch.
    I think you need some color; everything's a little too matched (though lovely). Flowering plants would help or one or two bright cushions, and/or colored frames for the family photos? You have a little bunch of maroon flowers? on the mantel; I think that color would go nicely with the gray/silver scheme, and it shouldn't be too hard to find cushions that would match and wouldn't be too bright for your taste. I can't see if you have drapes, but there's another place where you could add a colorful touch.
  • sissyskitchen
    9 år sedan
    Sunburst mirror above the chair and either a great tall plant on the other side or a rectangle shaped framed piece of funky textured wallpaper - so many amazing options! Inexpensive but looks expensive
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    9 år sedan
    Picture frames, panels or artwork would look nice!
    -Fratantoni Lifestyles
  • PRO
    Appleton Art Design, LLC
    9 år sedan
    I have a great option to the sunburst...contact me if you are interested
  • atka05
    9 år sedan
    Built-in shelving would look nice.
  • wanda40
    9 år sedan
    I don't have a before photo but it was a baby blue before my art has been changed to meet the side pictures I think my drapes needs to be sheer I don't know what do you think
  • PRO
    NVIED Home
    9 år sedan
    You could use some pre-made, white bookcases around the fireplace. If you want to keep it inexpensive, you could use the Billy bookcase from Ikea. Finishing it off with crown moulding, would make it look built-in.

Adding mirrored glass as the backing to the reflect light into the room.
  • Jen L
    9 år sedan
    The tv is too big to be over that fireplace, and it would look better if it was flat against the wall instead of tilting out so much. If you really don't want to move the tv switch it out for a smaller one!
  • marilynellis
    9 år sedan
    Lovely space. Just something long on the left hand wall. Suggest a little bit of color. Very sophisticated room. Great taste.
  • donnammason
    9 år sedan
    Consider covering the TV with art when not in use...lots of ways to do that then some more art on either side...simple black frames...something organic like botanical prints. Or if you think that too much...old frames of different sizes all painted the same size on either side..it will soften your TV...which I love...but it gets the attention..not your great style..which gets lost...love your room.
  • donnammason
    9 år sedan
    Want to add to my above comment....I always try to keep things affordable..shelving is great...can be expensive....and if open...can become over cluttered. But its a good thing to have as lots of people have said. I spend time trying to have the shelves look good. Empty frames arranged on either side would be in keeping with your clean style...cost little or nothing and you could replacate your beautiful chest with spray painting them or silverleafing...both easy and not expensive...if you get tired of it...it isn't a lot of work or time and money to change it. You should have some gray pillows on the sofa as another person suggested or a throw. You should feel good about your room...its beautiful!
  • Cyndee Iamarino
    9 år sedan
    The chair in the corner looked dwarfed as does the fireplace surround and mantle. I suggest you go with a larger chair and increase the proportion of the fireplace to start.
  • maventreehugger
    9 år sedan
    Put the "console" on the right of the fireplace ( at an angle if it doesn't fit) and put the tv on it.
    Take the large artwork and place it over the fireplace lining it up even on only one side of the fireplace and let it be larger on the other side. Put the chair on the other side of the fireplace with a side table and a vase and put the standing lamp on the other side of the chair with a new smooth drum shade. The tv and the chair will balance each other because they are dark and the painting will look interesting off center, if it is about a third larger than the fireplace.
    Pretty furnishings!
  • maventreehugger
    9 år sedan
    Also move the rug closer to the old console wall and the sectional too. A shallow bookcase no higher than the console would look nice on that wall and maybe a mirror. : )
  • mandy_moo_pants
    9 år sedan
    Love, love, love your paint color!
  • jamwill64
    9 år sedan
    I would move the wingback out of the corner and find four prints you like and flank them two on each side of the tv. I would also find a round ottoman to put in front of the couch. You also could find another floor lamp and put on the other side of the tv were the sectional ends.
  • linlac
    9 år sedan
    Sylvia, I'm guessing since you haven't been back because you don't like the idea of moving the tv. If you're going to keep the tv there I would paint that wall a deeper accent color. The tv will recede and the white of the fireplace will stand out. Then you could add the mirrors or artwork etc. on both sides.
  • vick520
    9 år sedan
    Looks like others are ahead of me...but to accomplish the built in look after you take the fireplace to the ceiling...start with 2 ready made base cabinets, add shelving above and front with trims and crown molding. It's a DIY that can look very pro.
  • mrmuggles
    9 år sedan
    What color are the walls?
  • tyler631
    9 år sedan
    A mirror, it will open up the space as well.
  • PRO
    Appleton Art Design, LLC
    9 år sedan
    This is a modern and organic alternative to a traditional mirror
  • Rebekkah
    9 år sedan
    Mirrors!!
  • Tim J
    9 år sedan
    '@groveraxle' said it best - couldn't agree more. One if THE WORST trends that I've seen in recent years is the tv over the fireplace! Treat them as two (major) focal points that need to be separated and accentuated differently.

Call me old (I'm 40), but I really enjoy relaxing peacefully with a fire in the fireplace, and a TV just doesn't add to that mood.

I understand space is an issue for some, but where there's a will there's a way. We live in a pretty small house and we were able to configure ours so that they are completely separate.

Two cents given ;-)
    -Cheers!
  • Chris Boyle
    9 år sedan
    the tv is mounted too high. It needs to lowered some.
  • Irene Morresey
    9 år sedan
    Looks good, you could lean a mirror against wall with some vases or something nice to reflect, keep it more to the side of mirror not in the middle unless it's a small table
  • johncuck
    9 år sedan
    Crown molding would finish this room off
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    9 år sedan
    Adding a sculptural piece on the left side would make the space more balanced. I suggest to have a piece that stands on a floor, such as a plant or a vase.
  • omalleycat131877
    9 år sedan
    You should ad some pics on the side of the left side of the tv maybe fam pics or just random. Flower pics would go really good
  • PRO
    Home Reborn
    9 år sedan
    Just do built-ins on either side - here are before-and-afters of a similar-looking space that I did.
  • 99ways
    9 år sedan
    This is an example of TV as Family Shrine. Ugh. Do you really want the focal point to be the TV? if so leave it like that. If not cover the thing with a painting when not in use. You can have a carpenter build one like a case. They are VERY cool. then put two smaller pieces or install floor to ceiling shelves with something light and interesting on display.
  • silviaiacozza
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thank you all so much for your wonderful advice!!!!!
  • Halo Harris
    8 år sedan

That is not a painting above the fireplace it's a TV. I don't think there is an awful lot you could change but maybe add a very modern free standing fireplace screen. Or maybe repaint the fireplace mantle to a more subdued color. You did great.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.