clqm

need help picking out new kitchen counter tops - ?Granite? Quartz?

clqm
11 år sedan
We have white tile floor, white cabinets, white appliances, peninsula kitchen....Florida. I a replacing white verticals to Cinnamon Faux Wood verticals. I am replacing 3 kitchen white ceiling fan/lights to Tommy Bahama looking wood/rattan blade fans... not sure on the light kit yet, but my dilemma is: Granite or Quartz on the counter tops? And then what color scheme as well as back splash tile choices? Most everything I see with white uses a black counter top, which is not my style... Painting walls will come after counter tops are chosen.... Thank you! CLQM

Kommentarer (13)

• PRO
    D'Ireys
    11 år sedan
    You might consider this product from Richlite, much like Paperstone. If you're Rattan is clear the Richlite "Stratum" might be an interesting selection to reference the Rattan. Read about the way the product ages to see if it might fit your aesthetic. The sample shows the stratum sandwiched with black, but it can be made with any of their colors. http://www.richlite.com/stratum/colors.html
  • pcmom1
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Butcher block for the counters would add a lot of warmth, and tie into the wood you are adding to your window treatments and fan. Just noticed first poster also suggested wood!
  • margaretk
    11 år sedan
    I am trying to figure out what your style is - the decor seem to be eclectic - the kitchen looks very clean and tidy. I don't think wood is your style. Black does seem to be a good choice - but if you don't like it - that's out! Have you visited a stone salesroom. They will let you take home tons of samples to see which one looks best.
    Crazy me - I would paint the walls navy - and install a navy and white tile back splash and counter top out of tile. Navy and white accents - and maybe a touch of yellow or
    red.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 år sedan
    Hi clqm, nothing wrong with an entirely white kitchen. My concern is the cabinets looks a bit dated, you might want to consider at least re-facing the cabinet doors and replace the countertop at the same time. Personally I prefer quartz for their more uniformed pattern and design.

Photograper - Aviad Bar Ness, Architect - karen goor · Mer info

Woodinville Retreat · Mer info
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 år sedan
    I like Dytecture's idea of re-facing cabinets, that is a good idea and not too costly for the impact it provides. Also there is a granite called Bianco Romano that would look nice with a white kitchen...
    Capital Hill Residence · Mer info

Quartz is also a nice choice. If you pick quartz there will be less movement, so you might want to consider a color for the backsplash to bring a little color into the room. Here is a small, modern kitchen I did for a shelter with white ceasarstone(quartz) countertops and a fun glass backsplash...
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Mer info

Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • pcmom1
    11 år sedan
    Do like the warmth that the wood floor brings in shown in Dytecture's kitchen photo on the right. Maybe you could add a sisal rug to your floor (rug grips: don't slip!) I also would choose quartz over granite because of the less busy look.
  • cecileg
    11 år sedan
    We have oak cabinets and floors in the kitchen. It's a galley kitchen. Want to replace the white tile counter tops. Ideas?
  • silverscreenstar
    11 år sedan
    Quartz. Less maintenance than granite. If you want a brand, I particularly like Cambria. They have awesome color choices. They also have a wonderful website and it's made in the USA!
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    8 år sedan

I would do granite. It is the same maintenance as quartz as long as you select the right fabricator that seals it for you. Once granite is sealed you rarely have to do it again and if you do it is super easy. Wax on wax off. As well as the fact that you can put hot pans and it and it will radiate the heat throughout whereas a quartz product will hold the heat in that one spot and could cause thermal shock (cracks in quartz). I would go with a color like Tiger Brown, San Luiz, or Lennon depending the color scheme you select.

• rocketjcat
    8 år sedan
    Old post from 2012.
  • bettyandjudy
    8 år sedan

I acted as a salesperson and purchaser for manmade stone and granite for a large company. Once I explained the differences and the customer saw actual slabs they would go with the granite, 95% of the time. The granite is a piece of artwork that looks great forever. It is the touch that makes a kitchen look expensive.The manufactured stones are not as durable, some of the advertising is deceiving. Just like the stone artisian says, granite is heat resistant and easy to maintain. The manmade stone manufactors say to use a trivit, yes you can put warm things on it NOT HOT, yes you can cut on it, BUT do not cut with sharp knives. Yes there are rules to follow with manmade stone.

I would take hot cast iron skillets and set directly on my granite and use any knife I felt like. The new sealers for granite last along time and only take a few minutes to put on. Some granite places offer permanent sealers.

The new formicas look as good as the manmade in my eyes.

• Auto phanous
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Quartz countertops are just as strong as granite but have the added benefit of being more flexible making them less likely to chip or crack. Quartz is non-porous and does not require any sealing - ever. These stones offer a virtually maintenance-free kitchen work surface. Keeping all these in mind like cost, the durability you better pick one of your choices.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.