deniselagrange

How do I make this deck charming and up to code on a limited budget?

deniselagrange
11 år sedan
What do you suggest to make this deck more charming? I really want some type of cover (arbor, roof), a space to dine and a seating area. As you can see, we have several roof angles to work with as well as flat room. Also, there is a brick level on right at back door. Then there are steps that go up into the sun room.
I would like some type of railing as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Kommentarer (37)

• PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 år sedan
    I like Dytecture's idea of the pergola. The house needs something in that center portion and his idea would work nicely. Additionally, I would like to see a tree planted just to the right of the deck and an appropriate distance from the house. I would like to see that tree in a bed surrounded by ground cover and flowers that would soften the asymmetry of the chimney and windows. The bed could stop just before the play set and does not have to be very deep. Hope tha helps. Charmean Neithart
  • pcmom1
    11 år sedan
    I always post first and then go back to read other comments, so may be some things already covered:

1. Stain the deck in a dark gray. I would instead of railings break the deck up with bench seating around some of the edges, stairs leading down to garden, extra landings around the rest. Soften the whole thing up with nice plantings around the edges.

2. Build a bright white trellis out from flat roof area to edge of deck. Perhaps also a small one over the garage to tie in. Under trellis area would be great spot for a dining table. You could hang a "chandelier" over table. This could be just a hanging fixture of plants and candles that you can find in gardening catalogs.

3. Deck is a little crowded with furniture. Move some of this down to the landings you build.

4. Create a nice flower bed in area to right of the deck, where hose is.
  • PRO
    Shraybronze ART RETREAT
    11 år sedan
    like them all, the ideas. one step farther, dove grey paint, and flower boxes, on all windows.low back benches wrapping the deck , except when you make a break for WIDE STAIR CASES. deep runners, so people can sit on the step at parties or kids play. low stair risesors- so that you can make the steps go out into lawn area. on the edge of steps, random height planter boxes to create a side for stairs. some deep and tall, other low and wide.then connect the stairs to a landing in yard and build a simple covered pergola. that ties them all together.use the same white post for the supports of the pergola. maybe have the back of the covered area be on the driveway side. so that it makes the garage take back seat to the whole area. i agree. paint dove grey and use white on all the callummes, and wood that you do not walk on.good luck, and have fun. xoxoxoshraybronze
  • deniselagrange
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    This is my first post on discussions on Houzz and I am incredibly impressed and appreciative of all the replies. I love the idea of the pergola in the center connecting to the flat roof, the grey color for deck. We had already thought about the seating for rails and really really like ideas of planters at edge of steps.
    I can't decide on pavers on bottom of steps but love idea of wide steps for additional seating.
    Dytecture, thank you so much for the photo. I know this is a program but don't have it.
    Wow, this Houzz site is great!!
  • Diann
    11 år sedan
    great addition the pergola would be . We had one built near our pool years ago and was wonderful and to this day our son is still enjoying the benefits of it. There was also a materiel that filters the sun even better that we nailed to the top . was not visible other than sitting underneath it and looking up. It was a great addition as well . Since my Husband had melanoma we wanted the extra protection when sitting out there , was, well worth getting it for added sun safety. Rain could still come on but it truly was a blessing to have as those slats don't always keep alot of the sun out. Just another thought to add . Good luck love the pic Dytecture added. A little sunbella awning could also be added as well. Love your charming home by the way!
  • Diann
    11 år sedan
    oh we also paint stained the Pergola to match our house paint. We were never big on the treated wood look,
  • hogan
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Lovely home!!!! I personally do not love the Pergola with your style home but would love to see a gazebo type roof in place of the pergola with the Same rounded posts you already have supporting it, I would then incorporate a wide step or steps around the entire deck using risers as not to see through the step. The roof will give you shade as well as cover from the rain, using the same shingles and white posts will give you an extension of living space.
    Add some plants and I think you will never want to go inside!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful outdoor living space!!!!!!!!!
  • Karen May
    11 år sedan
    You have very nice space. I agree with Dytecture's ideas with emphasis on safety. The distance to the ground all around the deck causes me to worry about falls and injuries. Railing or seating with a low back would eliminate the hazard. Also.. don't see support under the deck on the right.. Is it hidden? The suggestion for a tree on the right would provide shade and ambiance. Good luck..!!
  • cbreil
    11 år sedan
    They all sound like good ideas, just one thought...leave an opening to give access to the swingset so you can get to it quickly if you need to.
  • Howard Kaplan
    11 år sedan
    You might want to build lighting into your plan for accents, safety, security, reading, eating
  • poeticmoma
    11 år sedan
    I can't see the steps coming up on the left, but from this view, you need a good length of steps - gracious inviting steps that call you to the entryway. If you can take out the dividers in the door, that would help reduce the busy-ness of the space. Yes, stain grey. You could also alter the shape, clean it up so that it is simpler. There is just too much going on. Take the stuff off the walls. Anything small goes, think statement.
  • ikwewe
    11 år sedan
    I like the idea of a bench railing. We had one, the bench had a back to it that was at a slight slant for leaning back comfort,similar to your park bench. I had the top rail built flat as a plant shelf. It looked really good. For the cover, while I like the pergola idea, it can still let through some sun unless you cover it. How about a retractable awning like sunsetter dot com? I am not affiliated with them, just googled to find an example.
  • pcmom1
    11 år sedan
    Ditto Diann on adding shade cloth to top of pergola. We also have this on top of ours. Cuts way down on heat coming in, softer light, wind blows thru, etc. And it is very durable. We have had our up for years! And comes in a few soft colors: blue, gray, tan, it is very subtle.

Another poster had great idea for lighting: I have seen rope lights used around the edges of pergolas that look great. And near stairs for safety: solar lights?

Mirror! This may sound crazy, but I have a couple of mirrors on the wall of my home, under our pergola that reflect our garden's view for one side of the table. Perhaps on the wall area where your bbq is?

Art! Try this if you don't like mirror: I just picked up a great oil painting (about 2 by 3 ft) of a garden scene from a thrift store for all of $7.50. (Love it, love those thrift stores). It hangs on a fence of mine. You could use something unexpected like that.
  • fabia
    11 år sedan
    The front of your house is interesting. I do like the Pergola idea, and to take it one step further. instead of posts use similar columns to what exists. I would paint pergula white and column white. The deck would look great in a stained grey to take on colour features from house that exist.( that was suggested )
    Cover in the bottom of the deck with shrubs so there will not be an open space. Also the idea of adding a perimiter bench is perfect.. Saftey and function. Love it.
    I use alot of patios and decks in the front area of homes I have been designer on .I started this years ago because alot of space is wasted in the front of a house. By that I mean alot of living space.. Your deck looks very inviting. Enjoy.

In terms of ligting. Keep it simple and , I am not a fan of rope lighting in this situation. But if you hide it(in some moulding) and use it as up lighting that maybe interesting.
    Lots of good suggestions from very creative people.
  • deniselagrange
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    The deck is actually on the back of my house. The front has an inviting porch all the way across with a swing, a couple of large rocking chairs and pillows.
    There is support on the right hand side of the deck but I agree on covering the underside with plants which is probably more pleasing to the eye than some type of covering.
    Mirror, good idea.
    I'm toying with idea of pergola v gazebo. I want the area to be as open as possible.
    Also, dining area up on deck or down on patio below?
    Thanks for all your thoughts! I love this site
  • deniselagrange
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    I like the way this pergola is shaped, the color, the rail, the seating. What do posters think about a similar one to this using same columns as house, much like the first responder showed in his picture?
    I can't figure out how to post the picture so here's the link.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/2417691/thumbs/deck
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 år sedan
    If your considering changing your deck boards, I recomend aluminum decking by Lock Dry. I installed it on several new homes and remodel jobs. It comes in several colors. The finish is a powder coat texture which stays cool in the summer. It is expensive but you'll never have to change it and the maintenance is at a minimum. You can also install it over your existing sub-structure
  • kobley
    11 år sedan
    Dining area on deck so you don't have to carry everything down the stairs. I would also suggest you stain your deck with a semi transparent stain in grey. It holds up better than paint and is easier to touch up when necessary.
  • deniselagrange
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    this is actually the picture of gazebo i like
    [houzz=
    Deck Ideas that Work by Peter Jeswald · Mer info
    ]
  • sueschus
    11 år sedan
    Built-in benches around the deck will provide safety, seating and a place to add plants, etc. The back should be slanted for comfort. Cushions can be added for color. This is what we did on our deck. (The new patch is where the spa is going.)
  • Diann
    11 år sedan
    just a tip Denise if you decide to have built in benches like the one above make sure the backs are higher where the rail would be. Reason being is toddlers love to sit and then stand on the benches walking across them . Our son has built in benches and when the little ones were little the gave me goosebumps at times the top of the rail was wider so pots could sit on it for flowers and herbs and lanterns . The little ones tried to climb up to sit on the rail . It was a constant worry . If there is no small children in your family or friends then its nice .But think if you decide to go that Rt.
    Love the back of your house. Our son has a gate that also has lock on it too that goes to the steps that leads to the swing set.
  • roveda
    11 år sedan
    Two things come to mind. I would like to see a sharp looking large outdoor rug on the deck. Second, I think planting small boxwoods around the
    base of the wood deck would contrast nicely, and add a finished look. As far as codes, you should check your local town's ordinances for railings, height, etc.
  • Heidi Timmons_Owens
    11 år sedan
    I love your deck and all the suggestions. Nobody mentioned those sunshade, triangle, tension mounted things. Those are pretty cool as an alternative to a pergola. They may not match with your style, but I think they add a very interesting focal point to any type of architecture.

Like this:
    Wicked Shade Projects · Mer info
  • magarita
    11 år sedan
    everybody gave an awesome ideas. we can see to many chairs and looks crowded. somebody said "put benches">>that's good suggestion. however, just select the best one for yourself.
  • PRO
    Helen Rudy Glass
    11 år sedan
    I would soften the edge of the deck with plants at the deck level. Maybe create some built in containers all along the deck perimeter to soften the edge and also plants on the grass side to create a graded plant edge.. If budget allows paint or stain the decking to tie in better with the house color. A shade structure over the dining area. Shade Tree canopies are linear and would tie in nicely with the style of the house.
  • fabia
    11 år sedan
    I didn't realize the deck was in the back. Therefore I have re thought my answer. The deck would look great not with benches but with the clear glass railing systems.
    The benches may take away alot of space that woulf be used for entertainment.
    Use white rails with the glass insert. Stain the deck a deep colour similar to whaat is on the house. You may add a front step while keeping one at either end.
    I love the sails!! They are fabulous in this situation. I would then not get pergula. An awning is also a great solutiion. something stripey hung in centre.

Dual zones, sun and shade.

F.
  • Diann
    11 år sedan
    oo love the idea of built in planters as well that would keep the little ones from wanting to crawl up and sit on backs. I really dont like built in benches at all. Everyone is all lined up sitting next to each other necks hurt and always turning side to side. Chairs and settees can be moved when needed . Good luck do love your house so many houses from the back are just not pretty, yours is. So much potential heck you have it almost there now. Just a few little tweaks and you will have a deck that everyone will gravitate too! Please show us a pic when done Cant wait to see it.
  • magarita
    11 år sedan
    don't put to many benches or to many chairs there. use your sense to reach your satisfaction and others will say...."woooow".. it's amazing!" understood everyone. we can't explain or guide you in detail here....
  • judith195
    11 år sedan
    Of all the suggestions given my favorite is to make the stairs shallow and deep so that people can sit on them when you have a large group. This works very well. With your house style I like the pergola better than a shade sail. The picture of your favorite pergola is great but maybe do it with columns instead of square posts? Your house is delightful have fun.
  • PRO
    Shraybronze ART RETREAT
    11 år sedan
    hi al, the large long stepped work great. and the idea of making the small post not square, can really work if you can surround them with a round form??? the key is to stay consistent. round here then round everywhere, when it applies. also in and surround the stairs/'seating' you can build large and small planter boxes. mix in the 2 and you can have avery non static look. even some miniature citrus trees on some of the bigger boxes ads hight and texture. have fun... they make all this stuff, now in a vinyl plastic, pre mold formed and snap togerther.no painting later. yah for that. but for the plants, really wood is the best. xxooxoxoshray
  • PRO
    Shraybronze ART RETREAT
    11 år sedan
    as i read all the great ideas, i am blown away. i love designing. u all our awesome.... just a last couple thoughts, we are going to be doing this stuff also, if we get our new house. keep fingers crossed. yah, my dad will get to live in the guest cottage behind the pool. he is 88. wow. i hope make it that long.... anyway, so i have been doing a lot of research on this... totally open to any ideas for our house if we get it...

a thought. the deck is in complete feeling, because it has an unfinished look, because you have not had time to decide how to end it. so after reading and looking at all the great stuff. i really would recommend a gradual decent down to a small patio eating area [edged by flower beds and the lawn, maybe shade tree.as well]. from the deck

You would start by expanding the sides somewhat, doing this by large different sizes plantar boxes. Some higher that others - With the tread of the stairs, starting to go out in to yard. Between the planters-sorta like a fan, a bit. Then low risers. Have fun.

cut some stiff paper into square's and oblong shapes. then longer ones for wide steps. remember you wont different widths and hight. mix in the planters ... be creative. make colored cut outs so u can see where green and flowers would help break up all the wood. if u wont, make the treads at least 14 inches. up to 36'', could be a landing but be consistent ...DO NOT MIX STAIR WIDTHS. CAN MAKE PEOPLE STUMBLE. So, example.... stair x 3 then 36 ''' in. landing , then stairs again.

When you reach the ground, you could create an organic shape with flower beds, around the patio area. Then it becomes a focal point. Keep the [maybe brick due to the style of house] landing/patio round or square. Which ever feels better. Just big enough for the furniture you wont, to fit and feel spacious. Then you can send paths out from that area into yard.

also someone made a good statement, as all were, it is a great idea — good point, if you are going to make a rail out of seating for the deck, make them deep, for comfort and cushions fitting. and also, the correct slant on the back, for peoples comfort...
    Have fun ... you can use spray chalk or something like that, to lay it out in your yard area first. Xoxoxoshray, send pics when your done.
  • PRO
    Outdoor Living Today
    11 år sedan
    Amazing so many people - so many great ideas. Cedar Pergola Kits with or without retractable canopies create another room outside. Your space reminded us of a customer who had the same type of situation - have a look at the picture ..also check out the webpage for the product...

http://www.outdoorlivingtoday.com/oltss/storefront/products.php?category=pergolas
  • jeanneechrist
    6 år sedan

All of the above are great but expensive. If you are on a limited budget and can't afford a lot at this time, you could take 4x4's cut to height desired, drill a hole in the bottom and put a stick of rebar in it, then either drill holes into deck or mount on side with u brackets. Then drill holes in 4x4 horizontally and run heavy duty rope through the holes - tying off on ends. You have a save deck and didn't spend a great deal until you can afford something better.

• lhutch13
    6 år sedan
    This post is 5 years old.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    6 år sedan

ever wonder what they did?

• suezbell
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Update sought; what did you do?

I'd have added treated posts adjacent to and all around the deck and built a combination of bench seating with a back (to the extent budget permits) with railing around the rest of the deck edge to enclose the deck, adding a pair of posts to create a handrail where the steps would be. The objective would include not using up any more deck floor space to add the seat and rail than necessary.

http://pullzone1.a68c4by0ri.maxcdn-edge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Wood-Deck-Bench-Seat-Image-1.jpg?x10746

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/53/a4/22/53a42201d9ce0a4bca6abbaccfcf6fa5--outdoor-wood-bench-deck-benches.jpg

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.