laks_bala

Need help with house architecture

I have a property which is 7.5 acres with an existing rambler style house. There are lots of woods in the back which is well manicured and we would like to have a view of the backyard from most of the living space. If anyone has ideas of an open plan with a complete view of the backyard, please let me know. Any special features or tips will be helpful too. We are looking to engage an Architect for the home design soon. I am looking to build something unique, functional and different. Not the usual mansion or cookie cutter house. We just hired a Hard scape designer to work on some concepts for the backyard to complete some work since we are not starting the home building project for the next year or so. Any ideas, tips before our venture is appreciated!!

Kommentarer (7)

• PRO
    J.T. Design
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Before you hire an Architect or Building Designer, it is a great idea to get as specific with what you want to experience with your land, views and living space. Be clear on what you like and don't like as well as your budgetary constraints. Your first description makes me think you are leaning towards something very modern in order to achieve the "openess" you seek. Concrete, glass, steel, not your typical residential project.
    Don't be afraid to throw up a lot of visual ideas that your designer can work with, unless you want their vision of what your home should be. Most Architects like that option, as it can be a real ego booster.

It is a great idea to develop a firm design program spelling out what you expect and want from all your home and personal spaces. It always amazes me how little some people will put into that effort, as compared to how much time they will spend shopping for their car. Resale should always be an important piece to your program, especially in light of todays real estate markets.

There are sooo many things to consider in your next step, too many to list here, but start with this guys Blog and it will stear you in the right direction:
    http://gloomcupboard.blogspot.com/2012/03/7-steps-to-success-when-building-custom.html
    and then this one:
    http://www.homeadditionplus.com/home-articles-info/Why-Build-a-Custom-Home.htm
  • Donna Marquette
    11 år sedan
    We built our house 3 years ago, and VIEW was our primary focus! Before picking an architect I looked at floor plans online, to get an idea of interior flow/layout; there is a TON online, for all different types of spaces/layout. It also helped get an idea about exterior as well, even though I was much more focused on interior flow/layout, to begin with. Then, I picked 3 architects to "interview" with, which, in the end, helped us clearly narrow down to the one we used, based on the floor plans I had already liked/decided on, and the architects work he showed us for the outside of some of his other work. Then, we interviewed 3 contractors/builders, to settle on a builder. We visited, in person, the builders work, so we could see it first hand. This helped us decide who to contract with - an even more important decision then the architec, in my opinion. While I know this sounds like a lot of work/time, it was well worth the upfront work!! Good luck!!!!
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 år sedan
    Charmean is correct , search in The Houzz Search .
  • PRO
    Free Lance Artist/Hobbyist
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Sincerely appreciate the inputs. Is it a good idea to hire Architects who do not live in our area? I feel most architects in the area have similar design and model in mind. Ours property is not restricted by HOA and hence it's a clean slate to start with any design. I see some Architects in the midwest/Florida and Texas whose design we like and still debating if it is a good idea to hire any of them.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 år sedan
    That is a good option to Explore and how you and the architect go about deciding on the site visits as and when required .
  • PRO
    E2 Illumination Designs
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Wonderful property and with your emphasis on enjoying your back gardens, consider landscape illumination to enjoy the nighttime ambiance with the open house plan you wish to create.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.