shawnabaker

Kitchen Reno -should we replace hardwood with tile?

shawnabaker
11 år sedan
Our kitchen sits above a carport. I love hardwood but our current floor shows more wear in the work area by the sink and it is cool in the winter. . Our contractor suggested replacing the wood with heated tile - this would be the easy solution. We are planning to keep the basic layout we have now but open the wall above the stove to the dining room and install an island hood fan. Would it be odd to consider insetting tile with heat in part of the kitchen only? (the attached a plan will be revised for the opened wall with backsplash) Thanks for your help

Kommentarer (8)

• PRO
    Immersion Design
    11 år sedan
    I think that because you have carpet on one side and the hardwood continues from the kitchen into the dining room (which will now be opening visible with the pass thru), it might be a lot of materials going on. If you have the budget for a heated tile floor, I would take that and refinish the existing floors, and update the countertops. It will change the whole look and feel!
  • PRO
    Kreative Kitchens & Baths
    11 år sedan
    I would agree with Immersion Design... If you have multiple entrances to the room, you might end up with too much going on between flooring. Especially since your hardwood continues into the living room. Just be aware of "hard" transitions between the rooms. Heated flooring is amazing if it works in the space and budget. That looks like a lot of area to cover with a heated floor product... which can get pricey depending on what product you use and labor involved i.e. additional electrical.
  • windingcreek_creations
    11 år sedan
    I would keep the hardwood. Look into insulating the ceiling of the carport to keep the floors warm. There are some good renew products on the shelves that will help hide the wear and tear until you are ready to refinish your floors.
  • PRO
    FORM Architecture Studio
    11 år sedan
    well, the two separate surfaces might be a strange transition, especially if one is heated and the other one is not. I would say the current floor looks in harmony with the kitchen furniture that you have right now, the lovely contrast really makes the white of the furniture stand out. and wood generally is a warm material... the costs that would come from a heating floor...besides think of the moments the heating system wouldn't be on... the tiles get really cold then, colder than the current wood floor. so it would be a hard and expensive decision to make..
  • shawnabaker
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks for the reply :) We are replacing all the cabinets and countertops (and appliances etc) and there is hardwood (no carpet) throughout the kitchen / dining / living room. In addition to the cool feel of the floor there are wider gaps between the boards in the kitchen area - we would have to have that part of the floor taken up anyway as we're expanding the U a bit - maybe they can improve the insulation in the subfloor somehow to control the expanding / shrinking if we go that route?
  • shawnabaker
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    OOps! I was slow to reply there - thanks for the other responses - I think you are right - although we have cedar on our carport roof so not too easy get at from that side
  • shawnabaker
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    We have a heated tile floor in our en suite that my husband loves so when the contractor suggested taking up the floor and adding insulation he jumped on the heated tile idea. I think your suggestion of keeping the floor and adding insulation make the most sense. Thanks!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.