blanketandspoon

Gardens on a rocky mountain side

Carol Shepherd
11 år sedan
senast redigerad:11 år sedan
We just renovated the carriage house suite for our bed and breakfast. Part of the renovation was a new cedar deck. The view from the sides and front of the carriage house are spectacular. The view from the deck side..not so much. We want to put a garden along the bottom of the deck but we'd also like to improve the view as it leads up the mountain. Any suggestions?

Kommentarer (12)

• apple_pie_order
    11 år sedan
    If you show the view that you would like to improve, and tell us what the climate is, houzzers may be able to help with specific recommendations.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 år sedan
    Deer will eat almost anything. Your idea of dividing plants that are already on the property is an excellent one.

A brightly painted bench and table would be attractive.
  • PRO
    Ali Atri Photography
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Plant native species protected by a defense line of motion activated impact sprinklers (AKA Scarecrow) adjusted to point away from the paths to protect against the deer while the plants are young and nursery fresh.
  • houssaon
    11 år sedan
    I think you can get a list of plants that deer do not like from the web.

Have you thought of terracing the area adding large bolders for a water feature or just a rock garden? Not your climate but interesting:
    French Country Estate New Construction · Mer info
    and
    Amazing Landscaping · Mer info
    Water garden, backyard waterfall and bridge by Matthew Giampietro · Mer info
    walk across water feature · Mer info

Sculpture can be interesting in the yard.
    Between Naps on the Porch · Mer info
    and
    Contemporary Garden Art · Mer info
    Make a feature of the stone:
    Sun Valley · Mer info
  • Carol Shepherd
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks for the great ideas!!
  • trebinje
    11 år sedan
    Beautiful property! We love to visit Vancouver Island, espcially Buchart Gardens.

Nothing, NOTHING will stop a hungry deer from eating everything in your garden. No such thing as deer-proof, short of a 10' tall fence enclosure. We've wasted considerable resources before we gave in to the deer (northern California), so here are some ideas for plants that they will ignore, again, until they get mighty hungry, especially in the Fall and Winter: Pride of Madeira, Mexican sage, rosemary, lavender, New Zealand flax and ornamental grasses. That's about it. I think they would all thrive in the Vancouver climate, but check with your local nursery for specific varieties.

Another expensive mistake we made was planting young trees without protecting the trunk - the bucks will rub their antlers against the trunk, in some cases, they rubbed clear through and broke the tree in two.

Finally, in the Spring, until the mother deer teaches their babies how to forage, the fawns will eat EVERYTHING, at least once.

Please don't be discouraged, you can enjoy an amazing landscape with an edited list of plant material. Just hoping to help you avoid making the costly mistakes we made.
  • Carol Shepherd
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thank you, Trebinje. We have a wonderful collection of plants that are deer proof or at least they have ignored them for the two years we have been here. They include a number of the items you've mentioned. I will certainly look into the rest of them. I'm not discouraged at all as we seem to have found a good formula. We were looking for suggestions for a landscaping treatment for behind our carriage house which is bare sandstone (see pictures in first photo). For the garden around the deck, I'll divide the mature plants in the front gardens ; but after that, the rocky surface could use some creative help. There's been lots of good ideas for it.

We are a B&B and hope if you get up our way, Trebinje, you stop by for a visit.

Blanket and Spoon
  • trebinje
    11 år sedan
    Our home is on a similar slope, solid rock in some places, with heavy clay soil. We'd never heard of Pride of Medeira until our landscape architect specified it to fill in a large expanse behind a short retaining wall above the pool. We were amazed at how quickly these large leafy plants covered all the empty ground (and more!). They have a really interesting architectural structure with large, brilliant blue-purple flower spikes. A large cluster of these would make a wonderful backdrop on a hillside terrace for additional, smaller plants in the foreground. In our landscape, these are adjacent to some very tall ornamental grasses, and low-lying plants in the foreground.

PoM will overtake an area rather quickly, so they do need some attention to maintain shape and prevent ranginess. They are extremely hardy, thrive in rocky soil and add a lot of color and interest to any hillside landscape.
  • nevadan
    11 år sedan
    Without knowing what climate you are in, how could anyone advise? But the best and cheapest solution in most climates is architectural rose bushes available very cheaply and they spread like crazy.
  • Carol Shepherd
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks for your input, Nevadan. I had assumed people would read the whole thread and understand the climate from the indication that we were mid island on Vancouver Island. Our climae is Seattle-ish. Rainy fairly mild winters and warm but not hot dry summers. Rose bushes are a favorite of deer so unless we were going to fence it in that won't work; but thanks for taking the time to input.
  • Another Thyme
    9 år sedan
    Carol, in our experience Irises are pretty much deer proof and they do well in your area. Also, you can grow several types of annual flowers that re-seed themselves in a dirt/gravel mix so they are pretty much there all the time after the first year. Among those my favourites are: calendula, marigolds (the tagetes species) and cosmos. All can be "planted" this month by throwing seeds out on the ground. I used to teach a class called "Seed Catalogues are Seductive" and they are, but when you need lots of seed packets my go to are the Dollar stores you find here in BC. They are what I call good value because not only are they cheap, they grow. Have fun, I will check to see if your B & B has a website - I would love to see how this all turns out.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.