loshto

Are u shaped houses functional?

loshto
11 år sedan
I'm looking to build a new house and I want a u shaped house...but for some reason a lot of people have advised me that it limits the amount of space/rooms you can have. It will be a 4 bedroomed single storey house with open plan kitchen and living room, lounge, study, entertainment rooms too. Can this work for tha shaped house and 2500 sqm land? Please help

Kommentarer (8)

• Shawn Lagemann
    11 år sedan
    What climate do you live in?
  • PRO
    Total Design, Inc.
    11 år sedan
    It makes for a very private area in the middle of the house. I have designed one that will have a pool and BBQ area, and all three bedrooms have access to this area. One issue to overcome would be rain run-off, and making sure to downspouts are underground.
  • User
    11 år sedan
    I think a u shaped house would be great if you have the physical space for it. We owned a house that was u shaped although there was some separation physically between the garage and kitchen on one of the u "wings". Have also owned a house with more than one "wing" on a 1920 Dutch Colonial where there were two wings moving out from a center. My brother now owns a u shaped house. They were/are all beautiful houses which I think was somewhat due to the "wing" configuration. After living in two houses with wings, we decided if we ever built a house it would be a wing formation of some type. The up sides? - Light and view. Given that you have wings, the rooms in the house are more likely to have light and views from two sides, instead of often just one with regular box formation houses. The one thing with the u shaped house to realize is that the interior of the u will functionally be a courtyard and visible from the various rooms, so definitely plan for what you want there visually. Down side - like any larger external surface space, possibly heating and cooling costs and again light if want shade. Am excited for you - how fun to be building a house!
  • User
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Wanted to add that both of the u shaped houses were four bedrooms so doesn't limit you unless it's a matter of being able to work with the lot size and get in the rooms you need and still have interior "U" space and how big the U space will be. As well, would think about how the house would look in terms of the U formation externally in terms of lot/neighbors and neighborhood and how it will work in that regard. Another consideration - where the U will be situated - our u shaped house was in a wooded area. In the case of my brother's house, it's in a residential neighborhood and the U is to the side of the house - so something else to think about. Lots to think about in terms of the type of house and lot and neighborhood as well. But lots of up sides as I noted if it can work for you - good luck!
  • User
    11 år sedan
    Just wanted to add to my previous comments that it might help to check with architects for guidance. There might be other options as to the structure itself. For instance, perhaps single stories on two of the wings and a two story on the center with other's flanking to give yourself more space options. Just something to consider - good luck!
  • elcieg
    11 år sedan
    i was in an open house a few years ago, and it has never left my mind. Not so much a u shape, more like a parson table on its side. :>) The front was the most beautiful courtyard. All the walls surrounding it were sliders and you could access the courtyard from either side. On the right side was the living room; on the left side was the dining room. Behind the two rooms was the kitchen, wide and not too deep. Off the back were the bedrooms/baths. Two and two with baths between, running perpendicular to the front roofline. Not doing a great job explaining, but it was an absolute winner. Work with your architect.
  • Susan Mladenovich
    11 år sedan
    I have a client with a U shaped house and I love it. In the centre of the U is a pool and patio around. The "bottom" of the U is the kitchen with full sliders. Then one side of the U is public space eg. living room and the other side is private space - bedrooms etc. Love it.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.