radishpixie

DIY Kitchen Refresh (just until we gut it!)

radish
9 år sedan
We moved into a 1958 split-level home last July. It had been a rental house for many years, and was in terrible shape. While my husband and stepson tore out the disgusting smoke-filled carpets, and painted every single square inch with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint, I got busy on the sad, sad kitchen. The kitchen was mostly original! From 1958! The cabinets had 5 coats of paint on them, which I stripped 4-5 times each, over several days. 27 doors and drawers. I then sanded them, primed them, painted them, and replaced the hardware (with the exception of the hinges, which are some non-standard size). My stepson ripped out the built in stove, rewired the outlet, and we put in a free standing range off of Craigslist. My husband cut into the top cabinet and found a pre-existing duct for a vent hood. I sanded and painted all the cabinet boxes, removed years of petrified contact paper. I found a tooth on one shelf. So gross. So here are the pictures. This is a stop gap kitchen, until we gut it, which will be soon, I hope. The counters and floors are still awful, but the rest perked up a bit! I did this in 6 days (while grandma took the kids, bless her heart!).

Kommentarer (34)

• gyr_falcon
    9 år sedan

Six days! WOW! I'm impressed. The paint stripping alone must have been extremely challenging for the timeline. Your kitchen looks great. The colors are much nicer now. That appears to have been the fridge area to the left, so I am curious where you hid the one you use.

• radish
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks gyr_falcon! The only way I could do that much cabinet stripping was to use Citristrip, otherwise I would have killed off all my brain cells. We worked about 16 hours a day. The threat of movers arriving, and grandma showing up with your three little kids really lights a fire :)

The tenant who lived there took the fridge that fit in the alcove with him. The one that came with the house had been in the downstairs, and was too wide for that space, so we moved it to the very end of the kitchen facing the main entrance (from which most of the photos are taken).
  • apple_pie_order
    9 år sedan

Fast job! Sometimes you can cover dings in vinyl or ceramic tile with a little touch up paint. Lots of instructions on the internet.

• hatetoshop
    9 år sedan

You must be exhausted, but it sure was worth the effort. Your kitchen looks great.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 år sedan

Looks better, you can rest now !

• PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    9 år sedan

I love the color your chose for the cabinets and the choice of knobs. Great (HARD) work!!! Congrats!

• mnester17
    9 år sedan
    Great work. Now I bet you can work in this kitchen without cringing.
  • marevadan
    9 år sedan

Isn't it great when you set your mind on getting a job done! Looks way more updated, great colours and a reflection of all your hard work. You can enjoy this space more now. I understand, we live in a split level and kitchen cabinets are 1963 original, kind of updated but I can't wait to gut and redo completely. Enjoy!

• raymondnect333
    9 år sedan
    small studio design
  • bonnielynn75
    9 år sedan

Excellant job! I love that you worked with what you had to create a great space.

• diyer59
    9 år sedan

You know, instead of eventually "gutting it", when you have time, just take off the old cabinet doors and get new ones--totally changes the look from 1958 to 2015--for a fraction of the cost.

• nealmarybeth
    9 år sedan
    Replacing the drawer fronts and doors isn't always the best and cheapest way to go. Look at everything drawer glides and hinges. New cabinets can be cheaper.
  • kathyvangogh
    9 år sedan

You did a beautiful job! That is a lot of work for a temporary solution. Maybe you'll live with it longer than intended? It's lovely. I just wanted to point out that if you must strip, Citristrip is an excellent choice. While Citristrip is a fanstastic product, they do not pretend to be non toxic, I mean it removes paint right? Next time, just use van Gogh Fossil Paint - no need to strip first, it sticks to most stuff. Here is the warning for Citristrip from Russtech: (sorry the cut and paste is a bit clumsy, but I've included a link to the source so you can go there and read it if you want to .

Precautions/Limitations:

Always use

CitrStrip

with adequate

ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors. If HVAC

intake ducts will distribute solvent odor into

adjoining occupied areas of the building, care

should be taken to block these ventilation

ducts. Wear protective gloves and goggles.

Do not apply in the presence of people or

food. People and food may be returned to

treated area when there are no longer any

odors present. Keep product along with

empty drums, pails and cans away from heat or open flame
    http://russtechnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/CitristripPDF.pdf

• radish
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Thanks everyone for your nice comments! We thought about putting new cabinet doors on as part of the refresh, but they are all non-standard sizes (and all different sizes!). Also, the drawers are wood on wood gliders, so they make sawdust everywhere (although Rockler Nyla-tape did help with that), and are in terrible shape construction wise.

I wish there were an easier way to do it, but I think everything is going to have to come out - floor, cabinets, counter, awwwwwwful black backsplash, appliances, sink...

We have a gas fireplace on the outside of the wall that the stove is on. We could move it, and then open up the kitchen, but I'd rather not. So if anyone has some great ideas about how to open up a galley kitchen without making it an open kitchen, I'd love to hear them!!
  • radish
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Good point, Kathy Vangogh! Citristrip worked very well for me, and it is less toxic, but still a paint stripper! When I was getting desperate to be done, I tried a few doors with a regular stripper and found that it didn't work any better or faster.

Good to know about the paint that sticks to everything! We had to strip the doors for two reasons: they had so much badly painted paint on them that it was literally coming off in patches, and they smelled like cigarette smoke, which we were determined to remove from the house as fast as possible.
  • jazy05
    9 år sedan
    Amazing transformation even though it's just a band-aid. Great job! love the color you chose.
  • Lizzy L.
    9 år sedan

Nice job! For the terrible floor, you could put a nice kitchen-type rug down until you decide what you want to do there.

• minersus
    9 år sedan

You could try Flor carpet squares over the tile - make it look like wall to wall, and pick one of their heavy-duty options that hold up in commercial areas. Get extra squares for those inevitable spills . . . plus they can be easily picked up, hosed or power-washed, and re-laid as well. A checkerboard pattern can look awesome.

• minersus
    9 år sedan

You can also look at decals to cover the back splash tiles. Go to Etsy and search for "Bleucoin". They have loads of options and sizes for very little money.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 år sedan
    Great work!!
  • marlene_s
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan

Congratulations. You have inspired me. I too have a rather nasty kitchen ('80's) that will get a facelift until we have the money to do a total reno. I've been procrastinating because it is such a big job but when I see how much you accomplished in just 6 days I feel so encouraged. By the way, we replaced our ceramic kitchen floor with hardwood for almost no money. We bought several boxes of 'rustic' hardwood at one of those discounter construction stores. These are the shorter pieces many of which are imperfect but otherwise good quality flooring. We bought 1 box more than we needed to allow for waste. It cost us a little over $100 for materials (small kitchen) plus rental of the equipment for 2 days and dinner for one very handy friend to show us how. We did it in a weekend and what a difference. Now we just need me to do the rest of the facelift!!

• meora
    9 år sedan

Great work! Send us a follow-up pic when you complete the total reno.

• daybydaybyday
    9 år sedan

I really like the colors you chose for the cabinets. It looks great!

If you no longer need the old oven, I would remove that and use that cubby as a place for all of your small appliances (mixer, toaster, blender, coffee maker, etc.). Maybe hang a curtain to cover that space -- a sleek panel like a smooth shade, not a ruffly thing. :-)

If you have to do the reno in stages, I would do your floors first since the rest of your kitchen is so adorable. Meantime, a rug on the floor would look really nice.

Great job!

• Brenda Price
    9 år sedan
    So it really is true,u can work hard and achieve! U have done a great job.
    radish thanked Brenda Price
  • lisahicks777
    8 år sedan
    My husband and I recently bought a home built in 1957. I too need to give our kitchen a temporary face lift. You've done a great job! Thank you for the inspiration!
  • radish
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I'm glad to hear it LisaHicks777! Here's a shot of the far wall, which I've finally gotten organized:
  • lisahicks777
    8 år sedan
    very creative!
  • Nicole
    8 år sedan
    Your hard work truly has paid off it is quite a transformation...
  • radish
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Thanks so much, everyone!!
  • kathleen MK
    8 år sedan
    awesome work! Even with citrustrip it takes a lot of elbow grease to strip that much paint.
  • PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 år sedan

Nice job!

• radish
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Thought I'd update my post and let you all know that we had an accidental remodel right before Thanksgiving :)
    We replaced the countertops, which precipitated replacing the sink, faucet and tile backsplash along with all the light fixtures and outlets. Then we added some shelves and art, and I made some little valances. Having all the extra counter space is AWESOME.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.