niomir

Garage conversion - Any Ideas to hide garage door?

niomir
9 år sedan
We have converted our double garage into a temporary 'Mancave/living room' (carpet rugs can be rolled up and fittings can be removed if we decide to change it back in to a standard garage).
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations/idea's for temporary coverage of the main double garage door. Many thanks!

Kommentarer (17)

• K C
    9 år sedan
    How about curtains across the whole wall, heavier material (grey maybe) would suit the man cave theme and your sofa. Or you might be able to attach plywood panels fairly easily if you don't like curtains.
    niomir thanked K C
  • niomir
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    I was thinking grey curtains myself, but wasn't sure if it would make it too girlie.. Plywood panels is a great idea! Thank you!
  • K C
    9 år sedan
    I don't think they'd be girlie, like a movie theatre.
    niomir thanked K C
  • zen_garden
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan
    Is putting the wardrobes in front an option? I'd try to add a laminate (or plywood painted) panel with brackets above the wardrobes right up to the roof to hide the roller door and make the wardrobes look built in.
    niomir thanked zen_garden
  • cloudpants
    9 år sedan
    I like the idea of curtains, but another alternative is what my friend did when she turned hers into an exercise studio. She had foam panels cut to size and made covers for each of these these in a grey/beige silky material. These just slotted into the parts of the garage doors. When they sold the house, she took them out and it became a garage again.
    niomir thanked cloudpants
  • E A
    9 år sedan
    Great job. Not generally a fan of vertical blinds but could be inexpensive option for covering doors and storage area. ( ps am just about to order ikea plate rack for bathroom storage, like your idea for a mini bar even better).
    niomir thanked E A
  • antquadebigpond
    9 år sedan
    Plywood above the wardrobes or the foam idea sound good. I think you may find it difficult to heat the room when the weather gets cooler, depending on where you live. Garage doors tend to be very poor insulators.
    niomir thanked antquadebigpond
  • lazyks
    9 år sedan
    my first thought was outdoor bamboo/matchstick blinds. Against the closed doors they add a bit of texture to the room, are relatively cheap and come in wide lengths, Also they can be rolled up out of the way if you need to open the doors, and if the door is open for ventilation they can be down but still provide ventilation and privacy
    niomir thanked lazyks
  • kellyma13
    9 år sedan
    You could swap out the garage door for an insulated one that'd act more as a wall but still as a door in the future, plus regulate the room's temperature better. If you hate the door look all together, I'd say either go with big curtains, or line up some 6' bookcases side by side across (could be cheaper target ones, no need to spend tons on temporary decor) or even throw up a temporary partial 6'-7' wall (like you'd see in a loft). It all depends on your style, price range and preference! The man cave looks great, have fun with your new room! :)
    niomir thanked kellyma13
  • varns
    9 år sedan
    Hi. We were just discussing same option on the weekend. Our solution was......make up a timber frame to cover door ( like a false free standing wall) insulate with batts to reduce heat/ cold/ noise if required and then just gyprock over. You could actually do two false walls so if at a later date you wish to remove just half for whatever reason, it would be easier. These walls could even be on sold at a later date as there is def a demand for similar fit out. For the single door, you could always put cupboards under and then build them in by creating a false bulkhead to hide the roll or move one of the cupboards and construct a built in media cabinet with bulkhead once again to hide the roll. Hope this helps. ☑️
    niomir thanked varns
  • Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    9 år sedan
    Just paint the doors with suitable paint for metal...maybe white and hang hooks on the metal struts for baskets, art, anything really. Ot leave it plain white.
    niomir thanked Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
  • wuff
    9 år sedan
    Room dividing screens, or the translucent roller doors are pretty cool, but painting them would also make them disappear, matte black the some art on them. If it's tv room maybe get some movie posters when done with at cinemas
  • Jodie Bennett
    9 år sedan
    I have just turned our garage onto a showroom/workshop for my new little business. I used cheap doors (covered in fabric) from the hardware store as partition between the showroom and the workshop. It would beautifully in front of the garage doors.
  • fianou
    8 år sedan

Attaching some firm canvas to the whole underside of the door so you can still use the mechanism to open and close it?

• User
    8 år sedan

Indisputable.

• Connie
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

my friends just did this-they built a fake stud wall, and put it about 80cm inside the door. this provides great insulation-but also means they can still store their bikes and lawnmower in the shed, and gain access, without having to mess up the room.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.