platemark

End Grain Wood Block Flooring

PLATEMARK DESIGN
11 år sedan
We have a client for which we're considering end grain wood tiles. Long known for durability and comfort, they are not often seen or used in residential spaces. We'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has - or any professionals who can weigh in on this topic. Thanks!

From Kaswell:
The basic theory of Wood Block Flooring is centuries old. The ancients used the end-grain of logs as "chopping blocks" because the tough end-grain surface could withstand the pounding of hammers without splintering. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, end-grain wooden blocks were first used in the USA for paving streets.

Kommentarer (12)

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 år sedan
    I have been waiting to do this type of instal for years. I know of a master setter somewhere in Chicago I think that use some kind of a resin for filling between the wood pieces and I believe he sets them almost like tile.

The example above is not edge grain.

I believe I read the article in Fine Home Building if I'm not mistaken or perhaps on their web forum.

Are the edge grain blocks going on the second floor, main floor over slab, basement....?

Some kind of resin will be needed since sanding the edge grain always tears away the summer growth wood faster than the winter. You might find working with some kind of wood petrifier first might help.

I would love to see some play by plays and still want to do this in my basement office.

JW
  • PRO
    PLATEMARK DESIGN
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    John, I am especially thinking from a usability standpoint as well as cost. It would be installed on the main floor of the living area and kitchen. The herringbone picture I wasn't sure about (you think it's blocks?) but the other one is edge grain for sure.
    Thanks!
  • creeser
    11 år sedan
    Those are gorgeous. Saw something similar, but less well done on tv once. Just weighing in to see what the experts have to say. I'd love to keep this in mind if it's a stable option.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 år sedan
    Checked out the second picture and that is more the look. But the install I saw was a little more rough with a resin system. When interviewed the builder mentioned that it took quite some time to work out the kinks.

I would think this would be a sanding nightmare on site and might be why the photo you show has a matt or flat finish to it.

I would make a large scale mock up and test drive the concept before going all in. Once done maybe subject the test sample to a couple freeze thaw cycles to see how it handles thermal movement.

JW
  • PRO
    Glorious Designs, Inc.
    11 år sedan
    The Palace of Versaille uses these extensively. It would be interesting to know how old they are.
  • PRO
    Glorious Designs, Inc.
    11 år sedan
    Great History; Thank you so much!!
  • mveasey
    11 år sedan
    The Stuttgart State Museum for Natural History in Germany, www.naturkundemuseum-bw.de, has these floors nearly throughout as far as I can see. My husband was very impressed. This museum and its floors have been there since I was a child. I guess that speaks for itself. They are beautiful.
  • mveasey
    11 år sedan
    Have you heard of Everitt & Schilling Tile? Not sure it it is just wall applications or for floors as well though...
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 år sedan
    Those wood tiles are really neat. They wouldn't fit in any of my projects but I would love to see them installed.
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 år sedan
    Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles has these floors throughout, and they are amazing. HOK was the architect, I believe.
  • Karen J
    6 år sedan

These floors are in the Room and Board showrooms in San Francisco. Even in the elevators! They are dark and gorgeous and have held up for years. My parents installed end cut hardwood in their home in the 80's they still look beautiful.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.