johle

Need help with the stone stain of the exterior

Joanna Lg
9 år sedan

Hi Houzzers,

After successfully white washed my stone fireplace, I am very hooked into staining dated stone. I hate the orange feel of the exterior. However, the orange brick does look nice to keep as is so I would liek to stain the stone into another colour to tone down the orange on the house.

Any advices!? Thanks everyone!

Kommentarer (10)

• Kristi Traynor
    9 år sedan
    Try a black wash.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 år sedan

I would leave it just as it is if it doesn't work it will look 10x worse. I would change the door to a diffferent colour maybe a nice grey/ green and in a style with some glass. Not sure which door you have as I see 2 different ones if the new one is the arched door too bad it does not suit the house style at all.

• Kristi Traynor
    9 år sedan

I don't think the house looks bad, but it's her home and I'm just answering her question as given in her context. If she doesn't like it, she has every right to change it.

• libradesigneye
    9 år sedan

There are stone color combos posted at houzz that would benefit by staining but yours is not one of them. It is perfectly tied to the brick tone and you can not improve it.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år sedan
    Go lightest color in stone. Don't know how whitewash will work out side??
  • PRO
    Form Studio
    9 år sedan

I would look to the trim and door colors if you want to change the tones of the building. Nice lines of the building, good stone/brick work and textures. With all the texture, the garage door seems to come up short. Some up-lighting on the could really accentuate the home.

• palimpsest
    9 år sedan

My concern is that changing the stone is going to take the house from a unified façade that is given interest by various textures in similar colors and turn it into a patchwork.

But my philosophy about houses or architecture is that houses or architecture are never "dated". They belong to a particular period or are in a particular style. A house isn't a haircut or a pair of shoes that looks current in one year for some reason and out of style the next year for some reason. Lots of Victorian architecture was Ruined because the generation or two before ours altered it so much. And they didn't make it look better, just different.

Interior design is a little different, and I can understand how you wanted to change the color of the stone on the fireplace. If you had painted it a solid color or wanted to do something to try and make it look 2015 somehow, I would have argued against that, as well, but what you did worked very well on the inside of the house.

Of course you can do whatever you want because it's your house but I think in a design forum, there's nothing wrong with trying to talk someone out of something they think would be a mistake, before the fact. This house is a pretty exceptional example of mid 50s, I'm guessing, modernism. My advice would be to let it be what it is and not try to turn it into something else.

Joanna Lg thanked palimpsest
  • partim
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan

I love whitewashed brick and stone but your stone is the perfect color with the brick.

Your home is beautifully proportioned by the way. Love it.

I do think that your blue spruce is outgrowing its space. Maybe you could replace it with some tall grasses to emphasize the MCM look?

Joanna Lg thanked partim
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 år sedan

of course one can do whatever one pleases with one's property. but this is a beautiful house, beautifully kept.

If ain't broken, don't fix it. Landscaping, however, that is something you could do some real improvements

Joanna Lg thanked sacapuntaslapioz
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.